KVR Forum Upgrade - Xmas 2013

Any problems with the site? How can we improve KVR?
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

And have everything in the database manually copied and pasted into a new one?
How long do you think that would take? My guess is even with the fasted hundred net monkees working overtime it would be about 9 months.

samsam wrote:Rating system for posts gets some people all huffy on Gearslutz so it might be worth implementing just for the comedy value.
Down ratings have been removed now anyway.

TheoM wrote:
samsam wrote:Rating system for posts gets some people all huffy on Gearslutz so it might be worth implementing just for the comedy value.
Down ratings have been removed now anyway.
True.

It works on some sites others not.

thanks for the heads-up and merry shirtmacs master Ben

t3toooo wrote:
VitaminD wrote:
Shabdahbriah wrote:
t3toooo wrote:
VitaminD wrote:Ben, will we see a '+1' or 'Like' option for posts in the revision?

for some reason i truly hope that this option isn't implemented,a +1 is distracting as it can be.

the problem is,it can be seen as a "reward system" (or the opposite) for a user and not only to score a post.

imo,it'll ruin a forum more than doing any good.

otherwise,explaining is the lengthy process but often it makes much more sense.
+1
See what I mean... we could use it. :hihi:
instead,Shabdahbriah backed up the point that it would be better to not have it though. :D

clicking rushly +1 anonymously on every second post is not going to compliment Shabdahbriah's post at all.
now he knows that you like his point of view. :hihi:

much more first-hand,isn't it?
Perhaps so but it showed it would be useful too :hihi:

On the forums I frequent, the +1 or like features are NOT anonymous nor should they be.. that is the point, someone can 'agree' with the post but not have to type 'I agree' thus making the posts a bit more valuable. Instead of thinking 'oh new post' only to see it is someone who simply typed '+1' to previous posts in a thread.

Noooo +1 ffs - long-hand plus one's will do. the kind where you verbally back a poster with valid comment, or you make a fool of yourself the old-fashioned way, or just lurk. please no fodder for popularity games. people plus one just because they like the smell of your icon. no no no - oh,...IMO.

But it is already a popularity game to those who make it a popularity game.. it is just in a long-hand form (which is cluttery).

VitaminD wrote:But it is already a popularity game to those who make it a popularity game.. it is just in a long-hand form (which is cluttery).
true, to a degree, but the difference is that you have to kind of hang around to know who kisses whose arse ;) a plus one-er can just fly in and out and leave droppings with no indication as to why they agree (or simply back a poster). i don't think the clutter (the way you mean) will be remedied in a significant way by adding a like button of any kind, honestly...and unfortunately.

snigelx wrote:
VitaminD wrote:But it is already a popularity game to those who make it a popularity game.. it is just in a long-hand form (which is cluttery).
true, to a degree, but the difference is that you have to kind of hang around to know who kisses whose arse ;) a plus one-er can just fly in and out and leave droppings with no indication as to why they agree (or simply back a poster). i don't think the clutter (the way you mean) will be remedied in a significant way by adding a like button of any kind, honestly...and unfortunately.
A 'one-er' can do the same today; typing '+1' is the same thing as clicking a button that tallies a count.

Only the button/code will cleanup clutter.. plus it makes it more easy to see who agrees with what which seems to be a driving factor in social communication online.. or as a way to say 'thank you' or 'I appreciate this' for this post.

It works splendidly on photography forums as well as social sites such as Facebook and youtube... you just have to see it to see it. :)

Sometimes I think you guys would argue against someone handing out 100 dollar bills. :hihi:

VitaminD wrote:
snigelx wrote:
Sometimes I think you guys would argue against someone handing out 100 dollar bills. :hihi:
Haha... OK, we agree to disagree as I have to remove myself from here to go pee.

I see how "affective" it is as an adopted part of today's monitored (excuse me, I meant...modern) communication...blurbs.

Hey, FWIW I am sure you will get your christmas wish anyway VD as this is the way communication is being evaluated everywhere. (Although I do like the Share thing) And I am not simply defending traditional communcation, I am just saying that there are many *hidden* factors to many of these like clicks. One should not be liking a comment because they LIKE the poster. Absolutely not - oh, IMO - to have a forum space be resourceful.

And last but not least, test your theory on me about that 100 bill... see what happens. Then you see, I don't just argue for the sake of arguing. Oops, I should have waited ;) Have a good one

hehe we are free to agree to disagree so you can pee :)

However, I was trying to say that I see much of the arguments against a 'like' tally system seems to be arguments that could be had about people doing '+1' in the thread itself... that is, could be had to the current system (and any system).

It is annoying to see a thread popup to the top of the new posts list (thinking more actual info/knowledge/content is being shared) only to be disappointed with a +1 or a smiley face... this at least mitigates the +1ers :hihi:

One concern as one of the many info providers here on KVR:
What will happen to my KVR marks?

Will the board truncated from very old posts?
Should I backup my KVR marks?

What if something goes wrong in the transition and all my posts or similar stuff is gone. I've seen that happen with a lot of board updates/conversions.

I just want to rule out all eventualities.

And while we're at it, I hope we see a new board rules system, and those people that get a temp ban at least have access to their PMs and can contact the moderators at least. Not to mention know why they are banned (rather than "banned because: banned from ... to...). I adressed this earlier.
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

Suloo wrote:Great plan! And for the downtime, yea..finally we can make some music then :D
+1 now to get rid of the family

VitaminD wrote:
On the forums I frequent, the +1 or like features are NOT anonymous nor should they be.. that is the point, someone can 'agree' with the post but not have to type 'I agree' thus making the posts a bit more valuable. Instead of thinking 'oh new post' only to see it is someone who simply typed '+1' to previous posts in a thread.
+1

:-)

If anyone needs tech support for my products during the upgrade period, they can email me directly at mike@supersynths.com

Good luck with the upgrade, Ben. It sounds like a doozy!

Mike

Return to “Site Stuff”