New forum design - do you like it?

Any problems with the site? How can we improve KVR?
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I wonder if i'd get lynched for creating a poll to see how many people like me actually LOVE it. i am already completely used to it as if it was always this way.. I wish it *wasn't* temporary.

Regnas wrote:The latest posts page still has the old look... why is that? :?
http://www.kvraudio.com/lt.php?mode=mylt
It's... beautiful!

TheoM wrote:I wonder if i'd get lynched for creating a poll to see how many people like me actually LOVE it. i am already completely used to it as if it was always this way.. I wish it *wasn't* temporary.
It shouldn't be temporary in that sense since themes are user selectable on the new forum software. This one is called "prosilver" and ships set as the default with phpbb3. Installing a new style is as simple as unpacking a zip into the styles dir.

A style is made up of a "theme", "templates" and "imageset". The theme is a collection of css headers defining colors and layout properties like the size of buttons, fonts and so on.

Templates are all the different source files like message_body.html and so on that the pages are built from. So if you wanted to move the smilies to the left of the posting you'd edit posting/smilies.html and various other pages to get that set up as desired.

Imagesets are all the icons, smilies and so on.

The user can select from "styles", and the forum admin can configure the styles and which theme/templates/imagesets they use.

So for example we might have a style called old_kvr which uses old_kvr_theme, a few modified old_kvr_templates and old_kvr_imageset. then we might also have old_kvr_xmas which would be a copy of the old_kvr style but with a few added images (raindeer, snowflakes, etc) and color scheme changes (red background with green, blue, white elements) or whatever.

I expect Ben will have a lot of fun creating new styles and perhaps will load some styles recommended by users too.
Free plug-ins for Windows, MacOS and Linux. Xhip Synthesizer v8.0 and Xhip Effects Bundle v6.7.
The coder's credo: We believe our work is neither clever nor difficult; it is done because we thought it would be easy.
Work less; get more done.

Great thanks so much aciddose for that explanation.

TheoM wrote:i am already completely used to it as if it was always this way.. I wish it *wasn't* temporary.
+1

Just some little tweaks and it will be perfect.

... And..... I wish whole KVR site was wider.. 8)

Regnas wrote: ... And..... I wish whole KVR site was wider.. 8)
Whole site I'm not sure about, but for the forum see http://www.kvraudio.com/mykvr.php?m=prefs

Check the "forum width" part and try 1280 for example. That'll be 2/3rds of the screen at 1920x and if you move the window slightly to the right it fits neatly in the center.

The default is best for more narrow screens (not 16x9) but people have different preferences. I actually prefer the default width although I do have a 16x9 screen.
Free plug-ins for Windows, MacOS and Linux. Xhip Synthesizer v8.0 and Xhip Effects Bundle v6.7.
The coder's credo: We believe our work is neither clever nor difficult; it is done because we thought it would be easy.
Work less; get more done.

@ aciddose:

Great tips, thank you.

Can you theme Safari on an iPad? I hate this bright design on it.

AdmiralQuality wrote:
vurt wrote:aw did i make you cwy.
you poor little man.
Nope. You made me report you. Ta!

howd that go for you?
any reply?
i need to know if im banned or not?

aciddose wrote:
Regnas wrote: ... And..... I wish whole KVR site was wider.. 8)
Whole site I'm not sure about, but for the forum see http://www.kvraudio.com/mykvr.php?m=prefs

Check the "forum width" part and try 1280 for example. That'll be 2/3rds of the screen at 1920x and if you move the window slightly to the right it fits neatly in the center.

The default is best for more narrow screens (not 16x9) but people have different preferences. I actually prefer the default width although I do have a 16x9 screen.
I'm hoping the update means we can dispense with these sort of "tweaks" or workarounds. The problem is if I set it for my 1080p monitor it's messed up when I browse on my iPad and laptop. The forum should be able to adjust its width dynamically rather than have to be set - like with most fora.

The colors do not provide a big enough contrast. (Makes it harder to skim through)
The new colours clash terribly with the existing blues + greens.
The icons on the main forum overview are too big. Causes too much scrolling.

I'm getting used to the new design.

But I wish it was more customizable.

In the table index each subforum has got more space, meaning that to scroll down to the very bottom of the forum takes quite some scrolling

I dunno why it is needed to be stated which date last posting was made in each subforum, if that could be removed the rows could be truncated together and it would be easier to get an overview.

If I was a developer which name starts on Z, I wouldn't expect much increase in visitations now, as users need to scroll, scroll, scroll, and scroll, to get down there.

Just checked, need to do about 18 scrolls on my mouse-wheel to get from the top to the bottom.

Good little work-out I guess :D

I'm not particularly active user, but the old view was familiar, more cozier maybe. Would be glad if dark tones back.
Well, but I'm not going leave to other worlds because design or something like that

зы
What about color customization idea, well, I think it is also not good. Freedom of choice is one thing, but there are also the original forum look, that is its distinctive branded face, as for example a logo which should also never be different for each. Just imo.

Not sure if anyone mentioned this, but I wish the new forum section, particularly the posts themselves, were wider. I'm only on a 22" monitor and there's a ton of unused space on the left, and the control panel on the right is cutting into the usable space for posts. Would love to see this stretched out.

Also, any ability to delete posts?

Finally, I'd like to shut off the "alert me if new post was made while I was responding" feature. Anyone know exactly where that is? I'm assuming I can shut it off.

Return to “Site Stuff”