FR (WITHDRAWN) - A global KVR Challenges sub board

Any problems with the site? How can we improve KVR?
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I brought this up once already, but now that we officially have three(!) running competitions on KVR, on top of the Developer Challenge (which has it's own sub-board btw), I have to reiterate this FR:

We currently have "One Synth Challenge", running in the instrument section (buried in the mass of plugins threads)
We have a "Songwriting Competition" in the Music Cafe (thankfully, easy to find)
We now have a "Mix Challenge" (second try after the Mastering Challenge in the Effects section) running in Production Techniques (fighting against the flood of "how to do this/that" questions)

These are fun games on KVR, and draw attention to this board. So instead of making a mess of the other subsections or having to constantly use the search function to find the challenges, let's port them to one unified place so that everyone(!) can find them.

Changes are that we might even get a fourth Challenge/Competition at a later state. But the current three are already busy in terms of interest and participation.

Personally I think it's time that we get a unified section for this.
Last edited by Compyfox on Mon Dec 07, 2015 8:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

Compyfox wrote:I brought this up once already, but now that we officially have three(!) running competitions on KVR, on top of the Developer Challenge (which has it's own sub-board btw), I have to reiterate this FR:

We currently have "One Synth Challenge", running in the instrument section (buried in the mass of plugins threads)
We have a "Songwriting Competition" in the Music Cafe (thankfully, easy to find)
We now have a "Mix Challenge" (second try after the Mastering Challenge in the Effects section) running in Production Techniques (fighting against the flood of "how to do this/that" questions)

These are fun games on KVR, and draw attention to this board. So instead of making a mess of the other subsections or having to constantly use the search function to find the challenges, let's port them to one unified place so that everyone(!) can find them.

Changes are that we might even get a fourth Challenge/Competition at a later state. But the current three are already busy in terms of interest and participation.

Personally I think it's time that we get a unified section for this.
even though I am not one for contests I like this idea as contests do provide great motivation and learning opportunities for all...even spectators like I would be :)
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

I prefer each competition in the relevant section, but that may be just because it's what I'm used to.

As far as the OSC and Mix Challenge being buried, the active OSC threads (except the general discussion one) are generally sticky--if one isn't it's because no one's asked for it to be--and I've already sent you (Compyfox) a message about making the Mix Challenge ones sticky. Sticky threads aren't a dedicated forum, but if you'd like them in the meantime, let me know.
No longer a moderator.

Pinning the threads might be a start.

But having them at a global space would definitely make sense. Especially since they're such an essential part of KVR these days.

I can also think of a better benefit like:
OSC and SWC participants can see the Mix Challence (MC) and be like "cool - let me provide a track". Currently it's spread over three places. Some people do not even visit them (certain people only have focus on hardware and the market place, ignore the rest - so they don't even know of the existence!). It makes sense to drag all that together.

And... the SWC won't interfere with the Music Cafe anymore.

Just my 2c as user.
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

Good idea! Such threads most certainly deserve a dedicated section in the forum.
Bedroom Producers Blog << Free VST Plugins!

Actually, the idea might even be:

KVR Main Forum:
- sub pages like FX, Instruments, Production, techniques, hardware, etc

KVR Challenges and User Creations
- sub page: One-Synth-Challenge
- sub page: Songwriting Competition
- sub page: Mix Challenge
- sub page: Developer Challenge
- sub page: Music Cafe

KVR Market Place:
see the ideas I had in another site stuff thread and the Market Place pinned threads, basically:
- sub page: hardware
- sub page: software
- sub page: company sales
- sub page: User creations for sale (music releases, services, etc)

KVR Off Topic
- OT thread
- OT Classics
- HPC (now limited/truncated to/after 7 days again, not 4 months!)

COMPANY Forums:
A to Z

Site Stuff:
- everything that has to do with KVR as webpage, like development of the page, critism, beta, readers choice awards, etc
The Developer Challenge was pulled up to the other KVR challenges.

Then again... the moderators can't do that - only the Admins can rearrange the board.
It makes sense to me. Why it didn't happen yet is beyond me. Especially considering that we got sub-boards for less (with less activity) and we have a handful of dead company sub boards by now as well.

Another thing just came up as part of the "Mix Challenge Gossip" discussions:
Compyfox wrote:Do you know see why we NEED a separate section for KVR competition?
It can start with a "one synth challenge" and a "song writing competition", then we could move this to "people's remix competition" and finally to both "mix and mastering competition". One musician could start a chain, and the end result could be something absolutely wonderful. Basically open doors for collaborative efforts and possible songwriting/mix/mastering deals.
See my post here:
http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 7#p5776887

It does make absolute sense(!) to create an own subsection for this.
Think of the traffic this will generate towards KVR audio.
Think of the already involved sponsors!

The Development Challenge already draws a lot of attention to KVR. Imagine what will happen with a competition that starts as "One Synth Challenge" and ends as "Mastering Challenge". People will be forced to stick to KVR - in the meantime they will be covered with news, with deals, they will involve themselves with discussions, the market place.

It's a win-win situation!

Please Ben... I'd love to hear your input on this!

I'd like to revive this FR.

If there is a board re-structuring, please give us a Challenge section!

I mean, WTH?!
The KVR DC just got pinned to the top, but all other challenges that bring just as many users to KVR and make them more active are hidden in Instruments, Music Cafe and Production Techniques.

I want to bring this back to the attention of the admins.

A dedicated sub-board section for our challenges (DC, MC, OSC, Music Cafe Challenge) would:
1) clean up things considerably
2) be easy to find for the users, read: bring them to their attention!
3) draw even more attention to KVR Audio
4) help out the challenges in terms of popularity, accessibility
5) ...mean less work for moderators and admins

See this post (above) for a possible board arrangement:
http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 9#p5772519

I think this deserves more attention.
Can we at least get some feedback from the page admins on this?

I very much like the idea of moving all on site challenges and competitions to a dedicated forum area (including the impromptu "guess the synth" soundset devs are keen on).

One forum would be my preference but sub forums may be required.

Then create a "global" folder for all challenges, and create sub-folders for each of them. Then select who will be the mods of this section and we can moderate ourselves.

I mean, look at it Ben. You already have the "Developer Challenge" as sub board, you just need to move it.

My idea is still:
Compyfox wrote: KVR Challenges and User Creations
- sub page: One-Synth-Challenge
- sub page: Music Cafe Songwriting Competition
- sub page: Mix Challenge
- sub page: Guess that Synth / Sample Set
- sub page: Developer Challenge (exists already, just move it)
- sub page: Music Cafe (exists already, just move it)
Win-Win for everyone:
- the hosts: moderating, administration (pinning, renaming, moving, splitting, closing)
- the board admins (off the hook of administrating anything)

The only workload is to move the original threads to the appropriate sub-boards to have them in one place and properly archived.

Though I'm still not sure I see the need, I can live with a challenges/contests forum (I think with subforums might be better than without), but I think expanding that idea to include "User Creations" and moving the whole Music Cafe is a terrible idea.

Also, despite the name, I'm not sure the DC should go there. No strong feelings on that one, just my initial reaction.
No longer a moderator.

It's definitely not a monthly thing. But a special KVR exclusive thing/challenge indeed.

It's just an idea. But having the OSC, MCC, and the MC - maybe also the "Guess that Synth" - in their own section would already help a lot putting the load off of your (mods and admins) shoulders. And, it would add to the readability of the board.

Additional plus - it was was talked about it once in the news that there is a new section for this kind of stuff, that means a win-win for everyone. KVR in terms of new interested people, the challenge hosts go get more participants, and the sponsors to get more exposure.

Just my 2c.

Compyfox wrote:Then select who will be the mods of this section and we can moderate ourselves.
- the board admins (off the hook of administrating anything)
Not sure I see why you'd suggest separate mods. 'we can moderate ourselves' sounds a bit too much like 'I volunteer me for more power'.
I think expanding that idea to include "User Creations" and moving the whole Music Cafe is a terrible idea.
Agreed. Especially not with separate mods.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

Return to “Site Stuff”