Torrents, pirates, f**kers!

Official support for: patchpool.de
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Damn, today another of my libraries was torrented, that makes it number 3 within one month. Altogether around 7 things have been torrented so far and counting. Whenever this happens, it fells like a sting in my heart, I try to ignore it, send some silly emails to the torrent admins which of course never reply and then I forget about it. But when I have 2500 previews on a single day for some specific library tracks, I know something has been pirated again. I hate this....

I will not implement any form of copy protection systems in any of my libraries, that just makes it more attractive for those idiots to pirate things. So let's see how fast the sales stats drop this time.

It's so sad to see this sort of thing happen, and yet what is the solution?

What if you created a member's only forum for those who purchase and give them access to some of your sound design expertise through the forum? Or what about live streaming sessions from your studio to paying customers.

Just a thought, or two. :)
Bitwig Certified Trainer

billcarroll wrote:It's so sad to see this sort of thing happen, and yet what is the solution?

What if you created a member's only forum for those who purchase and give them access to some of your sound design expertise through the forum? Or what about live streaming sessions from your studio to paying customers.

I have plans in my head for this kind of tutorial thing, wether it be in a live situation/seminar/workshop, face to face (which is much harder to realize), or in some sort of online/virtual way. It's been cooking in my brain for a while now and will eventually become reality in some form. It won't fight the torrent disease though :)

Sampleconstruct wrote:
billcarroll wrote:It's so sad to see this sort of thing happen, and yet what is the solution?

I have plans in my head for this kind of tutorial thing, wether it be in a live situation/seminar/workshop, face to face (which is much harder to realize), or in some sort of online/virtual way. It's been cooking in my brain for a while now and will eventually become reality in some form. It won't fight the torrent disease though :)
I agree it won't stop the torrent problem. However, when the old model no longer serves there is an opportunity for a new model. Your work is amazing, and I'm sure there is a model that will work for you. :)
Bitwig Certified Trainer

billcarroll wrote:
Sampleconstruct wrote:

I agree it won't stop the torrent problem. However, when the old model no longer serves there is an opportunity for a new model. Your work is amazing, and I'm sure there is a model that will work for you. :)
Thank's man - ah, now I understand. Well, I won't/can't skip the commercial sound design thing, no matter how many products of mine will get torrented, it's a deep passion which also makes a living in combination with my compositional work. But the tutorial thing could be another enterprise with much more than just a commercial aspect to it (spread the word and such...).

Sorry to hear that. This is demotivating and frustrating. Sadly, there is not much that can be done to stop them. You stop one then 10 more appears. You know what's funny. The other day while Googling on something, I found my BlueCatAudio's freeware pack skins on a torrent site in the search results. The plugins and skins, both are free, how dumb one can be to load those on torrent sites.

Do it for passion that's all I can say.
satYatunes - Sound and Graphic Designer
Beautiful UI and skins for VST plugins.
Website | Portfolio

it's a bummer. pretty much anything once set out into the world can be considered pirated.

i hope it doesn't ruin your bottom line. hang in there.

I wonder what would happen if someone created a torrent exactly the same size and name as the warez one but with crap inside it, and uploaded it, might dissuade or at least annoy a few people perhaps?

Maybe do what Vengeance did and partner up with a plugin dev and create a Ilok protected instrument ? I imagine people would buy it now considering you have more than proved your worth as a sound designer.
:borg:

I hate hearing this and despise these low life thieves,would watermarking your libraries help or be feasible ?
2012 Mac Pro,3.46 Ghz,12 core 96g ,Mojave,RME, DP11.01, Logic 10.51,RME UCX, Great River ME-1NV, a few microphones,Spectrasonics, U-he Komplete12U & way too many VI's,Synths & FX galore!, UAD,Mimic Pro/SD3,Focal Twin 6 monitors, Shunyata ....

Its a waste of your valuable time trying to stop it. Accept it, rise above it and move on. If massive companies cant stop it, you have no chance

Chin up :wink:

V0RT3X wrote:Maybe do what Vengeance did and partner up with a plugin dev and create a Ilok protected instrument ? I imagine people would buy it now considering you have more than proved your worth as a sound designer.
Yeah, I spent weeks thinking about copy protection systems, debating with coders of how to implement something safe, but then I see all those copy protected products on pirate sites appear two days after they have been released. I like the iLok system, but it rules out about 50+ % of the potential customer base.

Actually I have been lucks so far, as none of my really big sample libs have been torrented, more the preset packs for synths and FX which have a small download size, only one bigger sample product, but it's only a matter of time until that happens. The more popular you get, the more pirates you attract, like heaps of cow shit attract millions of flies.

Kriminal wrote:Its a waste of your valuable time trying to stop it. Accept it, rise above it and move on. If massive companies cant stop it, you have no chance

Chin up :wink:
You're absolutely right, that's how I've been handling it, just sometimes I need to rant about it and indulge in some traces of self-pity :)

The new model has more to do with getting your idea and work out there. Ideas and work that spread, are the ideas and work that win.

Seth Godin speaks eloquently on this.

http://www.ted.com/talks/seth_godin_on_sliced_bread
Bitwig Certified Trainer

kgdrum wrote:I hate hearing this and despise these low life thieves,would watermarking your libraries help or be feasible ?
If I hired a lawyer and spent hours and hours writing silly email in order to enforce some sort of legal punishment on the f**kers, sure that could help. But I'm a one-man-show and don't have the time nor the resources to hunt pirates globally on the web.

Return to “patchpool”