Have gotten a lot of Sounds at Patchpool

Official support for: patchpool.de
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I've gotten a lot of sounds at Patchpool

All except the sounds Kontakt, Tremor , Spectron, Electrax, Zebraa and the Sample packs..

Standing on the top of this Sound mountain, I look out into the future, my future of sound making.
Guided by the sure hand of the master composer and sound designer Simon Stockhausen..
Lots to learn but is there too little time in one life to learn it? Well I have had my thoughts about this all along, and now even more it's something to reflect upon.. I have perused through this body of work, gotten to know certain material pretty well, mastered perhaps none of it.

But I smile anyways, there's this cohesive quality, to learning one mans output, Simon has a lot of bases covered, and I'm attracted to his basic viewpoint, not making exact copies of realty but being an interpreter of it, combining process, techniques and material in new ways, but informed, very specific goals are set out, and realised.

Having enough skill to work through an idea before it gets old. The sense of direction and purpose, to reach a good to great level of quality in the output relatively quickly. These general points are perhaps some of the best things I can learn from Simon.

It's interesting to look at the many engines/plug ins in some detail, to get a feel for basic sound design and interface design/methods kind of an overview generalist type of view..

I recommend highly getting to know a few master craftsman and supporting them rather than spreading the focus too thin.. A sort of distance apprenticeship ..
waves break, but somehow it all makes sense.

Just today I finally got the last engine that I needed to play all the sounds from Patchpool. The Reaktor 5 meant I now have access to all the great things Simon has done for that powerhouse of an sound maker.

Just a quick look last night and this morning gives a real sense of the History of the Patchpool/Simon project..

Really recommend these things..

That's an honouring post you made there, Wade - thank you for this bouquet of sonic flowers :)

Regarding the fact that I only started patchpool seriously in 2010 the portfolio has grown quite fast over the years, although I sometimes feels it takes ages to produce all these things. But as I am currently taking a step back before picking up the next project, I can look at all of this from a broader perspective and it seems like a small universe already.

A few weeks ago I got my first physical/real apprentice/pupil, he is in his early 20s, studied physics and now decided to become a composer. Having done plenty of workshops and seminars for electronic music and sound creation in my life, I thought it was time to experience the 1:1 teacher-pupil-thing, and it's quite rewarding I must say. He doesn't know much yet, but he accumulates the things I show him like a dry sponge and first excercises I ask him for (e.g. create something in Eb major for next week, as he knows nothing about harmonies, only "beats") show promising results.

I found something you don't have yet - LOL - the Absynth libraries.

I'm spending time with my Simon/Patchpool Omnibus library of sounds, Working on a piece where i've been picking things out from Cardinals for Chromaphone for percussion, the sound Spectral Pluck from Spectral Excursions for Spectral Synth for a great solo instrument, The Psaltery sounds forAmbient Strings for Mach V these Psaltery sounds are extremely well done, interesting, and useful, Droneland for Padshop pro..Adds a dark depth to the sound palette. Everything is of highly musical and useful quality.. I'm setup with Numerology Pro 4, and all the above are working fine in the latest version of Yosemite.

I'm also using the sounds from Ambient Strings, a Mach Five Cello, som effects from DNA for Molekular and some solo lines from Spectral Excursion with my new host Logic X, which I'm fast becoming familiar with and quite like it's refined UI..

Yummie, that sounds like a promising orchestra you set up there.

Well. without getting mushy, I will say I've bought many of Simon's sets and can pretty much echo what Two Toneshuzz is saying here. His work has definitely added a great depth in dimension to just about everything I do now.

Some points I'd like to make about this are:
Simon (and Luftrum) where very helpful in guiding me into getting my first field recorder (Sony PCM-10).
Simon's sets eventually inspired me to pick up Iris v1 (and now also v2) and the field recorder has evolved with using RX3adv.
One of the deals I bought was a Kontakt set which Simon was great in telling me that some of the sounds I picked were already included in an Alchemy set I had already bought (so replacing those got me more instead of 'buying twice').
I've gotten much more interest in the Reaktor because of his sets (although I admit I'm having some issues getting them installed and find myself now reading the manual more intently - which is a good thing).
And while the Mach is off the table for me because of my anti-PACE/iLok leanings, this last week I have pulled out my old eLicenser, updated it's firmware and finally installed two of the Steinberg demos and have found it nothing like PACE and quite usable (no parasites in the background services). And will most likely add at least one Steinberg product on the next sale they have.

Okay, Simon's stuff is a bit addictive but quite unique in what it does and how it does it.
Inspiring on many levels.

:clap: :hail: :clap:

(We'll now return to the regular programming). :)

This video about loading sample maps into Reaktor DRON-E I did 2 years ago is now totally dated, as in the meantime the NI devs have changed the sample map handling twice:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=euIhbslTDLE

So I shall make an updated version tomorrow. Many users not so familiar with Reaktor struggle with the handling of Snapshot Banks and Sample Maps, as it's nothing like in any other synth or sample player on this planet.

BBFG# wrote:
(We'll now return to the regular programming). :)
LOL :D

Thank's for the great feedback, that adds some more motivation-recharge to my currently rather empty batteries :tu:

Sampleconstruct wrote:This video about loading sample maps into Reaktor DRON-E I did 2 years ago is now totally dated, as in the meantime the NI devs have changed the sample map handling twice:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=euIhbslTDLE

So I shall make an updated version tomorrow. Many users not so familiar with Reaktor struggle with the handling of Snapshot Banks and Sample Maps, as it's nothing like in any other synth or sample player on this planet.
Here it is:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQ5CY7xaFbc

:tu:

Yes ! Thanks Simon.. Reaktor is a bit deep, very interesting, lots to explore.. I hope you find time to do more soundsets for these. Drone-E No Boundaries is Awesome deep, rich...

Return to “patchpool”