Falcon FAQs - Check Out The New Unofficial Falcon Forum Falcontinuum.com!

Official support for: patchpool.de
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Ambient Strings for Falcon / MachFive 3 Falcon Falcon AIR Scattered Entity Vol. 1 for Falcon/MachFive 3

Check out the knowledge-base at our forum Falcontinuum

----

This thread is only for FAQs, a resource for all the questions which get lost in the big thread in the instrument forum. I will delete all rants, iLok crap, pricing discussions and all other usual KVR noises from this thread to keep things tidy.

Falcon tutorials/technical demonstration videos are here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hreAo5r ... z2dZmB-3E1_

----

FAQ: Batch editing
I have 66 samples in 3 velocity layers. I'd like to map the playback starting position to, say, the mod wheel. So I used the IRCAM Scrub oscillator to get access to the position. But I don't see any way to do this for all samples at once. What am I missing? Surely I don't need to map every sample one-by-one?
A: Since version 1.0.7 batch editing on oscillator level is possible. But only per oscillator ID, so if you have round robin chains running on oscillator level, you'll have to batch-edit each each oscillator ID separately (e.g. round robin 1/2/3 etc.).

----

FAQ: Copying elements within a patch

Q: is there a way to copy and paste in Falcon? Namely whole patches or elements within the patch? Could definitely be useful if not.

A: In List view you can copy/paste/duplicate/delete keygroups and layers easily, also you can duplicate oscillators by pressing Alt+dragging the oscillator in the osc-tab. Also in the mapping editor there are plenty of options to duplicate/copy/paste/re-arrrange keygroups (e.g. move selected keygroup to new layer). By saving elements to your user library (e.g. oscillator settings/effect chains) you can then re-insert them in a new patch, or you can load a patch as a layer into an existing patch and copy things around from there.

----

FAQ: Crossfade looping in sampling mode - example:
Are there any fade handles in the sample editor area or you have to do the destructive fade in and out?
Yes, fade handles appear once you've set the loop to crossfade (does not work in granular mode), the sgement left of the loop start point is the portion available for crossfade looping. So the longer crossfades you want, the more you have to move the loop start into the sample. There are handles and also you can edit the slope of the xfade when hovering over the crossfade zone, a “hand“ tool will appear.
Here is a tutorial on the topic of crossfade-looping:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KaTa-kjtUA

----

FAQ: Parallel effect/filter processing

IQ: Is there a way to get parallel effects processing on keygroup level?

A: Yes, there is, use an “Effect Rack“ on keygroup level, insert effect chains (e.g. filters) and control their individual levels with other modulators like Macros.

Here is a tutorial on setting up/using an Effect Rack on keygroup level to run effects and filters in parallel (this of course also works on higher levels)l:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RaWV6d-l6Dk

----

FAQ: Wavetable synth

Falcon presets do not contain wavetable data but link to this external resource using relative path (so wavetables are being treated like samples).
Can you import own wavetables or transform samples to wavetables or is it limited to the factory wavetables ?
You can import wavetables e.g. from Serum or extract single cycles from imported samples (like in MachFive) or transform images into wavetables (very useful), so it's more a wavetable player, not wavetable editor
----
Wavetables with multiple slices can be imported either using one channel per slice or by concatenating slices and tagging the filename with the wavetable period (for example: "MySaw_2048.wav").
So I was able to import some example Serum wave tables from Audio-Term into Falcon by renaming them with the _2048 tag.
----
It is possible to create own wave in wavetable osc? Something like in Spectral from Linplug with harmonics?
Spectral uses additive synthesis not wavetable, Falcon either plays wavetables (like Serum wavetables with up to 256 single waveforms) or it re-synthesizes images, or it creates single cycle waveforms from wav samples (via drag&drop). But it does not have a wavetable editor, so tables have to be created outside Falcon.
----

If the wavetable synth is used in unison mode with several voices engaged, the waveforms of a table can be spread out using the spread knob in the interface. That way several waveforms will be audible simultaneously. To animate a wavetable, use modulators like LFOs/envelopes/step sequences/multi envelopes/Macros/modulation wheel/aftertouch assigned to wavetable position/spread stereo spread /unison detune and phase distortion.

----

Here is a tutorial on assigning modulations and Macros, building a wavetable patch from scratch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQNZrPDjtzw

----

FAQ: Audio rate modulation

Very fast modulation speeds in Falcon are possible: you can go into the 1000 Hz range with the multi envelope (and draw strange, multi-segment LFO shapes as well), just zoom in really close to edit your shape and set the loop length, then you can also apply modulation to the speed with e.g. key follow or linear key follow, the latter set to 50% will result in chromatic changes of multi envelope speed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XfWqCS9qDkA

----

Modulation FAQs:

Re-triggering envelopes only work on keygroup level, not on layer nor program level.
Envelopes work per voice, each new note played triggers the envelope - e.g. you can't insert a reverb per voice unless you have a computer yet to be developed. FX like e.g. ring modulation can be inserted on keygroup level as you would want to modulate RM frequency with key follow maybe, and that's no problem CPU-wise, but Spark Verb just wouldn't work per voice played.
Q: Is there any reason you can't apply an ADSR envelope to the gains of either the program or the layer? When I do that, the envelopes get added but don't react and there's only silence.
A: Because layers and programs don't work per voice, only keygroups do.
It only works with the keygroup gain.[/quote]

BUT there is a workaround to create re-triggering envelopes on layer level:

Q: Is there a way to make layer and/or program multi envelopes trigger with a keypress? The trigger mode doesn't seem to matter – the multi envelope just loops constantly.

A (workaround posted by the3ug3reeder:
1. add an oscillator... eg. Analog as a keygroup. (view this as a dummy/control oscillator as it will not be used directly to make a sound)
2. set the gain value of this 'control' keygroup to negative infinity (effectively muted but still active)
3. right click the gain knob of this keygroup and in the menu select 'Add Modulation/Layer/New Multi Envelope'
...and hey presto! you now have a layer level Multi Envelope which behaves as you would expect.
an added benefit of this technique is that by adjusting the keyboard mapping range of your inaudible 'control' keygroup, you can control precisely which keys will trigger your Multi Envelope modulation

... and you can of course add more control keygroups like this as well

----

Unison Modulation

Q: How can i make simply and classic stereo detune for e.g. FM?[/quote]

A: Set the layer to e.g. 3 unison voices -> right click on the pan knob in the FM keygroup -> Add Modulation -> External -> Other -> Unison - adjust amount at the bottom of the GUI with the sider. Now do the same for pitch, right click on Oscillator pitch ->Add Modulation -> External -> Other -> Unison adjust amount at the bottom of the GUI with the sider - values between 0.08 -> 0.12 sound good as a starting point, you can also assign a sub-modulator like the modulation wheel now to increase decrease unison detune, use the knob on the far right of the sub-modulator to adjust modulation depth amount.

----

Blending/cross-fading layers/keygroups
Q: What i miss is a XY pad(s) or even morphing snapshots like Alchemy. Would be interesting if i could maybe modulate between layers. I mean e.g. that an LFO could modulate the volume or whatever between different layers or patches etc. Then i would like to use e.g. 10 or more different samples per note and blend between them via an lfo or other modulation sources.

A: I often do this: use bi-directional Macros crossfading between layers, so turning the knob to the left will shift balance to Layer 1 and right->Layer 2, center->both. Then each layer can contain totally different sounds and sub layers/keygroups, of course you can also use LFOs for that.
----

FAQs Pluck Synth

Q: I have a quick question about the Pluck oscillator. Is there a way to make it stereo (besides unison)? It seems like it should be as the waveform shows both channels of a stereo file, but I only ever hear it playback in mono.

A: There is a switch in the inspector labelled “Stereo“, you have to be in dual string mode though for this to have an effect, try Bridge mode then the strings will be panned in the stereo field. You can also set the layer to 2+ voices and apply unison modulation to keygroup pan position (and a bit of pitch to enhance the stereo effect).

----
FAQs Analog Stack Oscillator

Quick and dirty demonstration of dialing in a pad sound with the analog stack oscillator in UVI Falcon, applying detuning/panning and modulations to the individual oscillators to create a unison sound, later adding wave-shaping, filtering and FX processing. I could have applied more LFOs to the individual volume levels of each osc to create more animation/movement, but I was too lazy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2s1m9Dbu9Q

----

FAQs Arpeggiator

Q: Is it possible (via midi CC or by any way) to change the preset in the arpegiator through ableton ?

A: If you setup the arp on layer level, you can use multiple layers using multiple settings/presets, then you can switch between the layers with key-switches.

Related video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXF9mwPnEuY

----

FAQ: MachFive compatibility
Falcon will read all .M5p and .M5m files created with MachFive, all MachFive sound libraries are fully compatible with Falcon. Everything present in the M5 engine was ported to Falcon, many new oscillator types, modulators and effect modules were added, many features were improved.
The only difference is, that Falcon can only import sfz-files whereas M5 can import Kontakt-nkis (up to version 4) and various other sound formats.

----

Scripting: documentation on lua-scripting here.

----

FAQs - Effects
Q: Can i use reversed reverb impulse responses in the convolution reverb?
A1: Falcon has a convolution reverb (no, it has 2 different ones), load reversed IRs or anything you would like to resonate, but there is no reverse switch in those modules.
A2: Since the convolution uses the same WaveEditor as sample oscillators, you can just right-click the IR and choose "Reverse". But you can do many more like crop, fade in/out, apply any falcon fx on the IR... etc

----

FAQs Unison Mode
Q: Single oscillator with stereo unison: anyone know if it's possible to put a different filter on the left and right channels? Or at least a different cutoff on each side? Using the comb filter specifically.

A: Set the Layer to unison with x-voices, then apply a unison (or unipolar unison) modulator to cutoff, pan, pitch, whatever.

----

Midi Output

Q: No outputting midi is a bit of a drag for me, seems a silly limitation given Falcon can generate midi itself - prevents doubling on other instruments and other uses. It would be very useful to drive my other UVI product (IRCAM prepared piano) [/quote]

A: There are many reasons for not having MIDI out, here's a few:
  • our internal events are richer than MIDI, if we had MIDI out we'd lose a lot of information,
  • we can have so many event processors within falcon that choosing which one to route to the output would be both restrictive and arbitrary, furthermore trying to merge multiple event streams coming from independent sources could easily create unexpected output.
  • Midi out support in DAWs is very heterogenous.
  • the goal was to enhance the playing experience with intelligent event handling, not to create an algorithmic sequencer to control other plug-ins.
That said, if you already own IRCAM Prepared Piano, just load it into a Falcon Part, add any Event processor you like (Midi Player, Arpeggiator, or any script of your choice) at the Part or Master level and you're done.

----

SFZ-import - Falcon does not import foreign sampler formats besides SFZ.

Q: Can Falcon import the SFZ's from the Alchemy Library?

A: Yes, just drop them into the program slot. Not all data embedded in an sfz (like e.g. round robin chains) always translate though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6rf6lB ... 4&index=15

----

User Library
To have your own wavetables appear the oscillator wavetable selection window along side of Falcons – you need to move your wavetables here:

$ (documents)/UVI/Falcon/User Data/Wavetable/

Pluck user excitations can go here:
$ (documents)/UVI/Falcon/User Data/Pluck/

User Impulse Responses here:
$ (documents)/UVI/Falcon/User Data/IR/

The Filters

UVI Filter is two biquad (12 dB / octave) one LP and one HP depending on the knob direction.
Crossover is a filter to split band for a multi band FX so you don't want to use this to be modulated.
Xpander filter is is 24dB/oct but can be used as 12 dB/oct or 6 dB/oct using different configuration
Biquad is 12 dB/oct
SVF is 12 dB/oct
Analog Filter is 24dB/oct
Rez filter is 6 dB/oct
One Pole is 6 dB/oct
Falcon user since 2015

I don't know if anyone might find this usefull. I compiled it when retrofitting MPE to the one of the Glockspiel Falcon programs.

Retrofitting (Roli Seaboard Rise) MPE to Falcon Programs

First ensure the Seaboard has MPE enabled using 'Dashboard for RISE' (Channel Mode: Multi; MPE: On, Global Channel:1, Range from: 2 to 16).

This example uses the patchool.de Glockenspiel Penta Cloud program as an example. Any program will do, as the aim is to add the MPE script process, and then select the Keygroup modules to control with the Y (Slide) and Z (Pressure) value from the Seaboard.

1. Load the Penta Cloud program. Falcon will not respond the Seaboard at this stage (unless the Seaboard is in Single, Channel 1 mode).
2. Select the Events tab, then the Event Processor browser tab (the tab with the music notation for two quavers). In the Event Process browser tab expand out Script Process, then Utilities, and drag MPE to the Events tab area. A Script Processor area is now available, and the Penta Cloud program changes to Omni mode and now responds to the Seaboard.
3. In the Script Processor area set Timbre (Y) to Mod 1 ans (Uni), and Pressure (Z) to PolyAT. The AT stands for aftertouch. What Y and Z are used to control on the Falcon is really up to you, given the available values in the Script Processor. However if you check out the MPE.lua script you'll see that in the onController() function the Midi CC74 value from the Seaboard Slide is trapped an used for the Y value. Seaboard Pressure is used for the incoming Z value.
4. Next select the Tree view tab, as you need to be able to see whats under Keygroup 1. Expand out Penta Cloud to show Layer 1 and Synth Layer, and then expand both of these out in turn to show their respective Keygroup 1s. Layer 1/Keygroup 1 has IRCAM Multi Granular, and Biquad Filter, and Synth Layer/Keygroup 1 has Analog Stack and Brickwall Filter.
5. For this example double click Brickwall Filter in Synth Layer/Keygroup 1. Right click over Cutoff to bring up the menu, then select Add Modulation/Program/New Script Event Modulation. Next right click over Cutoff and select Edit Modulations (you can also go to the top of the tree, then go the the Mods tab, scroll down to find Script Event Modulation 1 and edit it there). In the Scrip Event Modulation 1 tab rotate the dial to give '1'. Carrying out a Slide action on the Seaboard will now move the Cutoff.
6. Next double click Biquad Filter in Layer 1/Keygroup 1. Right click over Resonance to bring up the menu, then select Add Modulation/Poly Aftertouch. You should now see Resonance responding to Seaboard Pressure.
7. Finally use Save Program as ... (left click spanner up near <Default Multi>) and save as Penta Cloud MPE.uvip in a suitable location. If you check out the XML in Penta Cloud MPE.uvip you will find that the MPE.lua script has been embedded in there.

Thanks for posting this here - as I'm not a seabord surfer (yet), I can't check it out but I'm sure those who are using a seabord will appreciate all tips to customize existing patches to the MPE-world.

i Just jump to train and download your Falcon Scripts! :D
and also for the infos here,
Thank you so much! :tu:

Only five postings since starting in 2015 for this amazing plugin? Is Falcon the best-kept secret or something? I can't believe there isn't more talk about Falcon anywhere...

Is there anywhere else where we can discuss Falcon on the net?
Coronal Winds Radio - Tune In!
Remember, what you believe doesn't rewrite reality.

dlt123 wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 3:53 am Is there anywhere else where we can discuss Falcon on the net?

There is a Facebook group here:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/565062567280416/

and Falcontinuum
https://falcontinuum.com

Is there some info on how to add a background image to the macro page? I can't even find basic info.

Biome_Digital wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 7:06 pm Is there some info on how to add a background image to the macro page? I can't even find basic info.
Just drag and drop, it used to require some coding but now it's easy. Image size should be 720x480 px, .png format.

Sampleconstruct wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 7:09 pm
Biome_Digital wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 7:06 pm Is there some info on how to add a background image to the macro page? I can't even find basic info.
Just drag and drop, it used to require some coding but now it's easy. Image size should be 720x480 px, .png format.
Thanks, got that now. However, it saves the image file with EVERY preset saved! So if I have 100 presets there is 100 images! What's going on there?

Biome_Digital wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 1:02 pm
Sampleconstruct wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 7:09 pm
Thanks, got that now. However, it saves the image file with EVERY preset saved! So if I have 100 presets there is 100 images! What's going on there?
I assume you're saving each preset including the assets which you don't need to, just save the presets only without the assets (samples).

Yes, but if I don't do that, all the samples won't be saved a long with the presets.

Biome_Digital wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 3:52 pm Yes, but if I don't do that, all the samples won't be saved a long with the presets.
But why would you always want to save the assets with your presets?

You can't share presets without the assets. It would give a "missing samples" error.

Biome_Digital wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 4:11 pm You can't share presets without the assets. It would give a "missing samples" error.
Same goes for the BG image.

Return to “patchpool”