Kamioooka thoughts and suggestion

Official support for: g200kg.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

First, I want to say that Kamioooka is a very cool synth. Thanks for creating and making it freely available. I downloaded it at version 1.4, but I'm only just getting around to really playing with it. The modular design is great, it sounds nice, and the gui looks nice and sensible.

One issue, I noticed that the preset patches sound different in v1.7 than they do in v1.4. The first preset (Osc Basic), for example, in v1.7 seems to behave badly compared to v1.4. Maybe something got changed in Kamioooka's design, but the presets didn't get updated to reflect the changes?

Again, I think that Kamioooka is a really cool synth, and I wonder why it hasn't become more popular. A couple of things which come to mind are:

1) Some people might not understand the analog synth concepts such as gate and cv and how to go about routing everything correctly. I'm not sure what could be done about that, because the design in really good as it is. It's very flexible and easy to see how everything works, like an old modular synth. Maybe a tutorial on basic modular synth concepts would help. If I could help with that, I would be glad to.

2) I think that some minor issues prevent Kamioooka from being more flexible than it already is.

One thing that came to mind right away is that control over harmonic content would be nice for creating cleaner sounds such as drums and key type sounds such as a vibraphone. When selecting a sine oscillator, for example, the sound is kind of fuzzy/distorted. I like Kamikoooka's overall sound, but having the ability to get cleaner sounds as well would make it more useful all around.

Filter slope is another thing that comes to mind. Having only one choice for lowpass filter slope, for example, limits Kamikooka's use for creating some types of sounds. I haven't experimented with stacking filters yet, and that might get the filter slope more in the ballpark for some sounds.

Any way, thanks again for making Kamioooka, and maybe you'll consider what I have said here for future versions. I have some other suggestions for minor issues, but they probably aren't worth mentioning at this point, and you're probably well aware of them any way.

Edit: And of course, the aliasing thing might turn some people off, too. Kamioooka sounds fine at higher sampling rates, but it might not be practical to use as an every day synth just yet.

Return to “g200kg”