Tokyo Dawn Labs - Sibilance Controller - sneak peak

Official support for: tokyodawn.net/tokyo-dawn-labs
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Looking forward to it.

twoifbysea wrote:Looking forward to it.
Me too, can't wait !

I guess you have to get the GE of FB Comp II out of the way first.

Looks promising.
The best de-essor that I have is opto de-esser on my Focusrite. It works very transparent.
It flips phase on selected freq. Very transparent.

Maybe this one will replace hardware that I use. Looking forward to it.

Thanks

FabienTDR wrote:The plug-in is definitely not designed to process specific elements of full mixes, in fact, the algorithm expects a monophonic signal to work best. However, it can still precisely control the amount of sibilance of a complex signal. But it will equally "attack" other signal-parts that look similar to vocal sibilance. High frequency drums most notably or sustained cymbals. But from my experiments, competitors have similar "polyphonc input" problems too (Fabfilter, Eliosis, ect).
Is there anything you can do to make this new plugin handle "polyphonic input" better than, say the FabFilter? Or that won't be your main focus with this?

I'm just asking because I have the Pro-DS and it's not uncommon for me to use it in full mixes. From time to time comes a mix that requires de-essing and even though there's always a downside to this type of processing, as you mention, the outcome is usually better than doing nothing to it. But any improvements in this area would be great!
Miguel Marques @ bendermasteringstudio.com

bendermasteringstudio, this is a very good question. And to be honest, it's also one of the reasons the Sibilance Processor isn't out yet (beside other conceptional problems).

The task is extremely challenging. The current algorithm works properly on monophonic content, but polyphonic signals are much more complicated to handle.

I will attack the problem as soon the FB Comp II GE is out.
Fabien from Tokyo Dawn Records

Check out my audio processors over at the Tokyo Dawn Labs!

Here is a free, level-independent sibilance processor that was released in May of 2013:
http://sleepytimedsp.com/software/lisp

Fabien, does it achieve the goals you have in mind?

No, I don't think so.

It looks like an implementation of DBX's de-esser patent, but I never tested this plug-in and definitely won't comment competitors in public! ;)

The TDR de-esser is level independent, too, but also uses advanced noise/signal detection techniques, super high quality filters and enough internal bandwidth to do the job without adding ugly aliases (I have no idea how to dynamically control such high frequency content without high oversampling).

But the De-esser is on hold, I will most probably release another plug-in before this one. Most of all because I'm still working on an idea.
Fabien from Tokyo Dawn Records

Check out my audio processors over at the Tokyo Dawn Labs!

The main thing I've always disliked about using software de-essers is that even when set up to do absolutely nothing they sound darker than the original source when engaged, I tested plug ins from waves, izotope, TB, Fab-Filter and they all seem to alter the sound in a way that sounds like the high end lost a couple of db's even when they aren't compressing anything so I de-ess by vocals by hand which takes a long time but I prefer how it sounds ...

A plug in that manages to keep the high end intact while just compressing the bright part of the ess sound would be very cool ... just throwing some thoughts around.

Have you tried the freeware DigitalFishPhones Spitfish? It can be pretty transparent, especially if set up within an M/S matrix.

Any news about this one?

Hi Fabien,
News for this beast?
Cheers,
Mauro.
God save the Groove!

Return to “Tokyo Dawn Labs”