Tokyo Dawn Labs - Feedback Compressor II - beta 2

Official support for: tokyodawn.net/tokyo-dawn-labs
RELATED
PRODUCTS

kvaca wrote:
FabienTDR wrote: I try to fill this gap with my plug-ins. It's really time for high-end audio processors that make no compromises on audio, no matter the price. The "I don't care how big, how heavy or how expensive it is, just give me the best sound possible" approach isn't uncommon in the analogue market, but I can't see any true high-end plug-ins (except the excellent Algorithmix products and Crane Song maybe).
well written! :tu:
I can imagine how many people are waiting for affordable compressor or limiter in Splitcomp quality :)
+101 :D Cheers!

as a sidenote, judging by my trusty old VST anal-eyeser [you know - for "anal" people :hihi:], Fabien's pets are of very hi-quality. If you ask me, I'd have some complaints about the peak compression in *FB I*, that is a bit more on the "typical" side of things for a plugin [RMS comp is great though], but in FB II... it's a beautiful plugin. I cannot thank Fabien enough for sharing it with us. Do you accept donations, man? I've never checked that out. :blush:

My guess is that some people have become accustomed to some compression plugins that are of not such good quality, but sound "good" to their ears will not like this one so much. People's ears have accustomed to bad aliasing and shi* like that. Even I like a bit of "digital dirt" these days... damn :D But thankfully, I listen to such a variety of music that it's impossible to escape how nicely sounding music used to be, and how badly sounding it is these days in comparison. I'm not even touching the artistic value here, just technical value.

Which is actually very weird considering we have such relatively cheap and great audio reproduction and recording systems at our disposal these days. The "Hi-Fi" of today sounds sooooo much better, for much less money, than it used to sound when I was a kid, for even much more money. And yeah, that was quite some time ago. :D No, not *so* long ago... cough. :D [I'm 41]

I mean, get any decent digital PCI or PCIe audio card, some good DA converter [like cheap TC BMC-2], connect it to active speakers like Krk VXT-6 or 8, and you've just got yourself a great Hi-Fi system for so much less money than it used to be in the 90s, for instance. Of course, your choice of speakers can vary. ;) I think VXTs are really nice for the money. I don't have them though, but I think of acquiring them as my second monitors since they sound quite different to Dynaudios, and I like how they sound.

Sorry for the OT!!! I tend to talk too much... aaargh
It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. - Jiddu Krishnamurti

beta2 works fine for me now, XP SP3 - Reaper/EnergyXT.

Time to put this puppy through its paces :)

@Holophonic: Ah, good to hear that. Enjoy the plugin! :)

@Dux: You can buy some of our records if you like http://www.tokyodawn.net (Check out the Flow Lines album, it has an early prototype of the comp on the 2-bus. Great album anyway)

I have plans about a line of "paid" plug-ins, but at really realistic rates and without the hassle of copy protection. No demos as well (they need lots of time to develop and maintain), instead, I plan to make "professional" editions of the free "normal" editions. IMO, such an approach would have several advantages.

I can totally feel your points regarding the quality resulting from simple digital processing. Sometimes the root problem is even long before, namely the lack of an accurate monitoring system. Too often the material is already messed up during sound selection / recording / synth programming.
Fabien from Tokyo Dawn Records

Check out my audio processors over at the Tokyo Dawn Labs!

Ok, the manual is now included in every package and can be downloaded here:

http://www.tokyodawn.net/labs/TDR%20Fee ... Manual.pdf

(pls read! :) )

FabienTDR wrote:Ok, the manual is now included in every package and can be downloaded here:

THANKS, FabianTDR (TotalDynanicRange ?) !! :tu:
Professional technicians are assessed by the abilities they possess.
Amateur technicians are assessed by the tools they possess - and the amount of those tools, with an obvious preference to the latest hyped ones.
(Gabe Dumbbell)

FabienTDR wrote:Ok, the manual is now included in every package and can be downloaded here:

Thanks!

Excuse if this has been discussed or is mentioned in the manual, but I can't find it. Is the maximum gain reduction somehow clamped to -6dB? With TDR feedback compressor v1, if I push the settings to extreme values (-50dB threshold, 8:1 ratio, fast attack, no SC filter), I can get gain reductions of -24dB and more and that's clearly audible (and measurable).

If I try similar settings on V2, even though the GR meter says e.g. -24db the integrated loudness isn't reduced by more than 6dB. Is this by design?

paterpeter wrote:Excuse if this has been discussed or is mentioned in the manual, but I can't find it. Is the maximum gain reduction somehow clamped to -6dB? With TDR feedback compressor v1, if I push the settings to extreme values (-50dB threshold, 8:1 ratio, fast attack, no SC filter), I can get gain reductions of -24dB and more and that's clearly audible (and measurable).

If I try similar settings on V2, even though the GR meter says e.g. -24db the integrated loudness isn't reduced by more than 6dB. Is this by design?
I can confirm this...
any compressor in the world when set -40 db threshold,ratio 2:1,hard knee and fast attack gives you 20 db of compression on audio with 0 db peak level /when in linear mode/ or 17 db /squared mode/ or 15 db /logaritmic mode/...but not this compressor...this gives you only 4,5 db !! :( so-its very strange at least

possible reasons:
1.major bug
2.completely different approach to compression
3.or Im missing something important

@ DuX

looks like you are satisfied with this comp-please could you tell me how are you using it,becouse it gives me almost no compression most of the time-look at my comment above...thank you!

Hey kvaka, you're totally right. It seems I added a stupid mistake in the last update which broke the actual compression... ...and also broke the test that should make sure that the compression really works as expected!

Thanks for the report! Already sitting on a fix, sorry guys (why do these things always happen during public launches?! :cry:).

BTW, Dux was one of the few to work with the beta 1 which definitely was correct.

So that's why I thought of the new one as "much more subtle" than the beta 1. I thought you wanted it that way, since it's meant to be a compressor for mastering and busses, and I never compress more than 6-10dBs anyway, usually 1.5:1 to about 3 or 4:1 at the most, especially on the busses. So I didn't notice it! :D I did test beta 1 far more thoroughly, though. ;)

If you want to get the most compressed sound out of FB II, just put the "peak crest" to 12dB, that should be more of a peak compressor than RMS compressor. As Fabien said, "Peak Crest" could be described as a blending control between the peak and RMS compression, and RMS is always more subtle, appropriate for busses and mastering. You shouldn't boost the "soft knee", either. For heavy compression leave it at 3dB or lower it to 0. For busses it's better for soft knee to be at 3-6db, or even all the way clockwise.

Having said that, I can't wait to try the fixed one and see how it "squeezes" things, too! :hihi:
Last edited by DuX on Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. - Jiddu Krishnamurti

beta 3 is being created right now ;) (also fixing a few more issues)
Last edited by FabienTDR on Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FabienTDR wrote:beta 3 is being created right now ;) (also fixing a few more issue)
thank you,I'll wait till next beta is ready :)

Ok, I just uploaded beta 3!

I started a new thread here to keep things organized:
http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=5203088

I would wish just also a very well sounding Mixing compressor which does not colour. The compressor should be also to be very adaptably. With for example external Side-Chain, Soft- and Hardknee, Peak- and RMS-Detektion, Feed-Back and Feed-Forward compression. An absolute man of many talents. And need above all little CPU and latency especially on mono signals. Sorry, not the subject. :oops: :love:

mwaudioprod wrote:I would wish just also a very well sounding Mixing compressor which does not colour. The compressor should be also to be very adaptably. With for example external Side-Chain, Soft- and Hardknee, Peak- and RMS-Detektion, Feed-Back and Feed-Forward compression. An absolute man of many talents. And need above all little CPU and latency especially on mono signals. Sorry, not the subject. :oops: :love:

Haha, sounds like a small "commercially oriented" project I'm working on.. ;) You will understand my giggles in a few months, stay tuned ;)

Return to “Tokyo Dawn Labs”