Tokyo Dawn Labs - Feedback Compressor II - beta 4

Official support for: tokyodawn.net/tokyo-dawn-labs
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm proud to finally release beta 4 of the FB compressor II.

http://www.tokyodawn.net/tdr-feedback-compressor-2/

Changes:

# Re-built the whole project based on the JUCE library (it used VSTGUI before).

This step now makes it easy for me to offer VST and AU for the mac in the near future and also provides several stability improvements over the previous approach.

Beside that, this step also enables fantastic features such as sub-pixel rendering, openGL support and countless other cool things.

However, I'm just getting started with this technology, so please be kind if totally new bugs and problems appear with this version!

# x64 performance issues solved.

# Fixed a bug which corrupted the claim "Bit transparent without processing".

# Fixed a (practically irrelevant) bug related to an internal re-sampling filter.

# Key Filter selection now via Combo-Box.

# Smooth, fancy LED animations (sounds soooooo much better ;D ).

# "Peak Mode" is now "Peak Ratio", was moved to the right and has a different switch (Thanks Vlad for the idea!).

# Velocity based sliders.

# "Jump to default value" now via double-click

I am looking forward to your feedback, especially regarding the following subjects:

- Does the plug-in re-call properly in your DAW?
- Do you experience a measurable worse cpu performance with the 64bit version?
- Is everyone happy with the new velocity based control?

Beside looking for bugs, I wish you lots of fun with the latest version!
Last edited by FabienTDR on Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fabien from Tokyo Dawn Records

Check out my audio processors over at the Tokyo Dawn Labs!

Reaper - latest version.

Recognized by DAW

velocity pots work fine.

CPU is 3% on old Core i 5 laptop.

No bugs apparent.

Thank you, Fabien! I'll test it more thoroughly a little later in my spare time. However, I did try it as soon as I saw your e-mail, and I haven't encountered any problems. But I tested it for just a few minutes.

Cheers!
It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. - Jiddu Krishnamurti

BTW, someone came up with an interesting question, so I'd like to share my response with you:

What does bit-transparent without processing mean? If the compressor doesn't do anything, what is so special about it?

Many plug-ins (and all analogue processors) add static "distortion" in a way or another. For example it's noise for internal dithering or denormal prevention, a static phase shift or phase smear due. This is offen the case for naive, "brute-force" oversampling approaches. The FB Comp II uses an advanced (may I say clever? ;) ) differential structure to guarantee a perfect signal copy at the output if no gain change takes place.
Last edited by FabienTDR on Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tested Beta 4 x64 in REAPER, everything seems fine so far, CPU usage looks sane now: Thanks again for your work!

On a side-note, the CPU performance will still improve before final release.

Hey guys, a quick info that I just managed to build the VST/AU "component" version of the Feedback Compressor II ..and it seems to work as expected after a few tests. :D

The cpu load looks pretty high (~10%) on my mac mini, but I'm not sure if it simply relates to the slow hardware.

I will upload the mac beta 4 later tonight, make sure you join the tokyo dawn labs newsletter for instant notifications.

"Does the plug-in re-call properly in your DAW?"
I'm using studio one pro, and used the previous beta3 release. However, any songs with an instance of that version of the plugin are showing up as not available.

Apart from that seems to be working ok.

LOL at the "LED" comment, but I'm not sure about the "fancy" bit. ;) ...the rest of the GUI looks great!

Jeff

JThalberg wrote:"Does the plug-in re-call properly in your DAW?"
I'm using studio one pro, and used the previous beta3 release. However, any songs with an instance of that version of the plugin are showing up as not available.
This is expected behaviour. Beta 4 has a new unique ID to avoid crashes in situations like yours. For the DAW, beta 4 looks like a whole new plugin. Sorry for the trouble, I rewrote the preset handling in order to support AUs on the same code base.

So far I haven't noticed anything bad. I find that weird for a re-write. Great work Fabien! :D

It works smooth, flexible, and interesting. Now even the limiter mode seems somehow smoother to me? It might be some kind of a psychoacoustic bug we all have, and there's no cure. :D

Regarding the GUI, I'm not a fan of GUIs [♥ GUIless plugins], especially "fancy" ones, but the GUI works and looks great. My eyes appreciate your choice of colours, that make nice contrast, and you can actually see what's going on from afar if needed. The "changing presets" GUI bug is gone in Reaper. :D

Thank you!
It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. - Jiddu Krishnamurti

FabienTDR wrote:This is expected behaviour. Beta 4 has a new unique ID to avoid crashes in situations like yours. For the DAW, beta 4 looks like a whole new plugin. Sorry for the trouble, I rewrote the preset handling in order to support AUs on the same code base.
No trouble at all. I'm very grateful for the updates. It's a great plugin.

Jeff

DuX wrote:So far I haven't noticed anything bad. I find that weird for a re-write. Great work Fabien! :D
Yeah, me too :) This speaks for JUCE!
DuX wrote:It works smooth, flexible, and interesting. Now even the limiter mode seems somehow smoother to me? It might be some kind of a psychoacoustic bug we all have, and there's no cure. :D
Yes, you probably hallucinate, but who knows, I definitely fixed a small bug in the audio algorithm with beta 4. :)
DuX wrote:Regarding the GUI, I'm not a fan of GUIs [♥ GUIless plugins], especially "fancy" ones, but the GUI works and looks great. My eyes appreciate your choice of colours, that make nice contrast, and you can actually see what's going on from afar if needed. The "changing presets" GUI bug is gone in Reaper. :D
Thanks man!

You mean this bug, right?

Return to “Tokyo Dawn Labs”