Tokyo Dawn Labs - Feedback Compressor II - beta 9

Official support for: tokyodawn.net/tokyo-dawn-labs
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hey Fabien is there a reason the compression highest ratio is 7:1

just wondering, seems like an odd number. Why not bump it to 10:1?
Has anybody ever really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

Jolly Jimmy wrote:On futher testing I see that the enter key is assigned to the last button/switch control that was used. (LIM, Delta, Bypass, Precise,...) It only happens when the plugin is in focus and only affects the enter key. I've only tried the AU version as my DAW is Logic.
I noticed the same behaviour in all DAWs I could test.

The interesting problem is that I would expect that the button/switch focus "releases" if the user clicks the plugin background - but it doesn't. The last clicked switch/button still remains "focussed" an steals the enter keystroke. It's on my list!

@midnight wrote:Hey Fabien is there a reason the compression highest ratio is 7:1

just wondering, seems like an odd number. Why not bump it to 10:1?
1. The current algorithm cannot achieve a higher ratio. Well, it does achieve higher ratios under certain circumstances, in a timing dependent manner. "7:1" is just the average expected ratio (+/-50%).

2. In the programme dependent context mentioned above, 7:1 or 15:1 doesn't sound much "different". The FB structure automatically "hits the breaks" if one tries to do bad things.

The displayed value is just a rough guess anyway. 7:1 more or less marks the technical limit of FB compression (one can use tricks to increase the ratio even more, but they don't work well IMO). To get an idea of the difficulties, feedback compressors theoretically needs infinite gain in the side-chain to achieve Inf:1 ratios! In other words: An FB structure can't do that. High ratios are a true pain for them.

That 7:1 thing isn't that uncommon, check the third page in the manual:
http://www.summitaudio.com/dcl200_specs.html

3. "7" is a wonderfully odd number (as you say!). IMHO, a little mystery and symbolism doesn't hurt! :)
Last edited by FabienTDR on Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:11 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Fabien from Tokyo Dawn Records

Check out my audio processors over at the Tokyo Dawn Labs!

FabienTDR wrote: That 7:1 thing isn't that uncommon, check the third page in the manual:
http://www.summitaudio.com/dcl200_specs.html
Nice "plugin". :hihi:
It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. - Jiddu Krishnamurti

FabienTDR wrote: 1. The current algorithm cannot achieve a higher ratio. Well, it does achieve higher ratios under certain circumstances, in a timing dependent manner. "7:1" is just the average expected ratio (+/-50%).
As I understand the story so far, the main goal for this compressor is mastering duties and maybe the stereo bus.
Most mastering compressors focus on ratios of between 1:1 and say 3:1 tops, with many small incremental changes within that range.

7:1 seems more than enough. :wink:

Of course it also works well on drum and vocal busses.
In my experience the available ratio range is still adequate.

Thank you Fabien for this compressor. I never heard something like this. This is the best I ever heard!
You really did a great job with it.

Quite amazing.

Regards

Thanks xtras!

@all: I will package the final release this week. Last chance for your veto!
Last edited by FabienTDR on Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

xtrax wrote:Thank you Fabien for this compressor. I never heard something like this. This is the best I ever heard!
You really did a great job with it.

Quite amazing.

Regards
+1000 The best things in life are free..... so it seems. :hihi:
The inner workings of vurts mind are a force to be reckoned with.
music is a need in my life...yes I could survive without it but tbh I dont know how
myfeebleeffort
https://paulroach2.bandcamp.com/
https://hearthis.at/83hdtrvm/

I'm currently preparing and testing the final build, and hope to upload the zip within the next few days.

The final package will also include a mono edition! :)

FabienTDR wrote:I'm currently preparing and testing the final build, and hope to upload the zip within the next few days.

This is great! Mono version so I can try it on vocal...
Many Thanks

Great news, Fabien! Thank you! Great idea to compile a mono version, too! ;) I mostly have mono tracks in my projects, and using mono EQs and compressors.

Cheers!
It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. - Jiddu Krishnamurti

FabienTDR wrote:I'm currently preparing and testing the final build, and hope to upload the zip within the next few days.

...and a ~10% lower CPU load (or more)! :)

Hi

Any news ? (7 days had passed... :oops:)
Professional technicians are assessed by the abilities they possess.
Amateur technicians are assessed by the tools they possess - and the amount of those tools, with an obvious preference to the latest hyped ones.
(Gabe Dumbbell)

Everything was ready for release today, but I lost any notion of time at the Musikmesse touching knobs and buttons! ;)

In any way, give me 1-3 hours to upload all packages and update the websites! :D
Last edited by FabienTDR on Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Why are you so impatient? :smack:

Any news, Fabien? :hihi:

Ha! I lost half a day watching and reading the news from the Messe! :D

You know what impressed me the most? SPL 16ch. ADDA. I can't recall the name right now... Madison? Oh yeah, Madison. :D Cool. But I'm so nicely all set up that I'm not really thinking of buying it. At least not this year, or the next. :D I'm a TC, RME, Dynaudio, and SPL whore, what can I say... but everything else DIY or ITB [well not quite, mics and speakers...]! ;)

If I only had patience to continue studying that bloody C++, I'd be probably making interesting plugins now, too. :)

:)

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=379102

@Dux: That little crane song tube compressor is amazing!

Return to “Tokyo Dawn Labs”