Tokyo Dawn Labs - Feedback Compressor II - beta 9

Official support for: tokyodawn.net/tokyo-dawn-labs
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I would also really like to have a external sidechain input. Please consider adding it to the gentleman's version.

I can honestly say that this compressor has quickly become one of my best compressor tools whenever I am looking for a transparent gain reduction.

It might be too soon to ask these sort of questions but am wondering if the payware version will have some sort of copy protection system?
Have you decided the price yet?

Really looking forward the gentleman's edition.

Thanks.

@Mario-C: I'm thinking about a x10 switch for the filter frequency.

@midnight & @filter303: The external side-chain is possible, too.

Copy protection and pricing will be easy, no worries :)
Last edited by FabienTDR on Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Fabien from Tokyo Dawn Records

Check out my audio processors over at the Tokyo Dawn Labs!

This plugin works great. Nice work!

Hi there.

Great plugin!

I have noticed one annoying little thing though. In Logic 9, with the plugin in focus, hitting the enter key opens the "i" info pane, overriding the default Logic "stop playback" and "return to start" functions.

Cheers.

filter303 wrote:I would also really like to have a external sidechain input. Please consider adding it to the gentleman's version.
Actually I'd love to see this implemented as a VST3 Sidechain, but I realize that may be a tall order... Thanks for this really nice plugin!

Jolly Jimmy wrote:I have noticed one annoying little thing though. In Logic 9, with the plugin in focus, hitting the enter key opens the "i" info pane, overriding the default Logic "stop playback" and "return to start" functions.
Thanks! I'll have a closer look at the issue this evening.

Edit: Jolly, can you confirm the points below?

Does the plug-in block all host keystrokes, or just ENTER?
Does the plugin release the keystroke "focus" when clicking outside the plugin window (i.e. somewhere on the DAW UI)?
Also, this problem is AU only, right?
Last edited by FabienTDR on Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bravo, the Gentleman's Edition sounds like it is shaping up nicely! I think the "Insane", "Micro Timing", "RMS Source", and "Lin Phase SC" would be great, but I'm not so worried about any of the others. From a purely professional mastering perspective, I'd like to see two main things:

1) That the "Gentlemen's Edition" absolutely NOT become crammed with bloated features and extra controls. Speed of workflow is essential for me. Someone like Sean over at Valhalla DSP has completely mastered (pun intended) the "features vs. ease of use" ratio with his Vintage Verb plugin, in my estimation. So whilst I applaud most of the possible new features, please don't add too many more controls, keep it as simple as possible!

2) A side chain filter with the ability to choose LP and BP responses (as well as HP), with obviously different, carefully selected frequencies available for each "mode". This is something I have only previously seen on the Elysia Alpha, although it's obviously possible to patch this up yourself with any comp that features an external sidechain (hey, how about one of those?)

Just my main thoughts on it so far, hope they are somewhat helpful!

Gregg

1) The "GE" thing is definitely not about "Scientists Editions". :) I try to keep user-interaction and usability as focussed as possible.

2) From my observations, most SC filtering ideas don't work well. A low pass in the side-chain for example almost guarantees strange pumping artefacts (which relates to the average frequency distribution of most music signals). Of course, I don't need to explain these things to you! But a SC low-pass almost never makes sense in the mastering context. This is just one example. It's easy to mess up the whole compression with "wrong" SC processing. It's fine for mix oriented compression, though.

Same with the external side-chain. I'll most probably offer the option due to popular demand, but I don't really recommend its use. Again, this is a different topic in the mix context.

Did I mention that I'm working on a mix oriented processor? ;)

Thanks for the input!
Last edited by FabienTDR on Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

I just created a new thread for the whole Gentleman's Edition discussion:

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=377131

i love this thing :) *bigup* (not yet tested the gentleman-version)

RefinedRough wrote:i love this thing :) *bigup* (not yet tested the gentleman-version)
Thanks!

Don't get confused by the GE discussion, we're just brain storming, it doesn't exist yet ;)

I can't remember the last time that I've been this excited about a plugin. :)

That says a lot. I'm not here since yesterday. :lol:

And I'm also working on my own "material" for the first time in like 10 years. :D I'm going to make sure your baby becomes the part of it, judiciously. :D I'm not particularly fond of compression or limiting, so your plugin makes it so much easier for me. :tu:

In a way, you, Vlad, and monsieur SleepyTimeRecords motivated me to create. I think that's a great compliment, don't you? :) And if it bears some fruits of course we'll all benefit from it. I'm not a stupid greedy bastard, nor do I care about wealth. I care only about living a decent life, being a decent friend and husband.

Cheers!
It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. - Jiddu Krishnamurti

@Dux: :)

Just discovered this gem today, since I've been a compressor/channel strip junkie the last few days. Nice work!

FabienTDR wrote:Thanks! I'll have a closer look at the issue this evening.

Edit: Jolly, can you confirm the points below?

Does the plug-in block all host keystrokes, or just ENTER?
Does the plugin release the keystroke "focus" when clicking outside the plugin window (i.e. somewhere on the DAW UI)?
Also, this problem is AU only, right?
On futher testing I see that the enter key is assigned to the last button/switch control that was used. (LIM, Delta, Bypass, Precise,...) It only happens when the plugin is in focus and only affects the enter key. I've only tried the AU version as my DAW is Logic.

Return to “Tokyo Dawn Labs”