Best Practice For Setting The Feedback Compressor II

Official support for: tokyodawn.net/tokyo-dawn-labs
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi Fabien, THANKS for this amazing compressor!

I would like to ask you in which order you would set the controls and what you would be listening for in the following scenarios:

1. Bus

2. Vocal

3. Drums

With all the unfamiliar controls and having separate RELEASE values this is quite a complex compressor, i would LOVE to hear you talk about how you would set it up for different situations :)

Hey thermal,

this is a very good question. I'll write an extensive description later today.
Fabien from Tokyo Dawn Records

Check out my audio processors over at the Tokyo Dawn Labs!

The probably most important control in my work-flow is the "peak crest" function.

I usually set the threshold to taste, keep the ratio at 2:1 and knee about 1-3dB and then start increase or reduce the peak crest until I find the "sweet spot" for that specific material and purpose.

At the same time, I adjust the timing controls and ask myself:

"Do I want to smooth the initial transients?"

-> reduce the attack time (otherwise, increase the attack time)

"Does the compressor "attack" the low end too much?"

-> increase the SC HP frequency

"Do I want to change the overall frequency balance to increase the bass?"

-> Use a SC HP slope of 6dB/Oct or stronger. If the frequency balanced should be preserved as much as possible, stick with the 3dB/Oct filter. If excessive lows should be reduced, switch the SC HP filter off.

"I set my attack time to the desired value, but the results sound dull"

-> Reduce the peak release. This effectively increases "freshness" and impact of the most steepest transients at the cost of increased distortion.

"Sounds great, but I hear the fast peak release now distorting bass passages"

-> Increase the RMS release (or the peak crest), so that the slow RMS path takes control before the peak path begins to distort huge and low frequency waves.

Alternatively, use stronger SC HP filtering.

"All fine now, but I want a little more density"

-> Reduce the RMS release time.

"Now give me some additional sparkle"

-> Increase dry mix to taste.

The above is my typical work-flow, and not really representative for most users. I know at least one user which prefers to start with the dry mix full up and makeup full down, while just increasing the makeup to taste.

Also, most drum tasks will probably ask for much faster settings. That is, low peak crest, no knee, high ratio, fast release times and probably a "disabled" or only very subtle RMS path. So that the Peak path almost always control the compressor.

Looking forward hear about all your approaches and tricks.
Last edited by FabienTDR on Sun May 05, 2013 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fabien from Tokyo Dawn Records

Check out my audio processors over at the Tokyo Dawn Labs!

thanx for the pro insight fabien!
Whoever wants music instead of noise, joy instead of pleasure, soul instead of gold, creative work instead of business, passion instead of foolery, finds no home in this trivial world of ours.

Thanks! Very interesting, I will reply with my tips and tricks when i have some more experience to share.

Return to “Tokyo Dawn Labs”