TDR VOS SlickEQ - Release 1.0.0

Official support for: tokyodawn.net/tokyo-dawn-labs
RELATED
PRODUCTS
TDR VOS SlickEQ

Much like analogue processing, worst things happen at bandwidth boundaries. Lol, that's why the industry agreed on 1kHz to present their gear in public. It's *by far* the safest place. ;)

Back in 1996, it was possible to find digital EQs with true precision problems (limit-cycles). But nowadays with cheap 64bit processing available, it is trivial to push precision problems into -180dB nirvana.

As you can read in the EQ thread, I suspect that the fact that we're comparing apples and bananas. An analogue EQ signal path almost always looks like this (remember, context is mastering):

[DA] -> [EQ] -> [AD]
(where the EQ block itself consists of several non-linear elements such as in/out transformers and a fancy amp)

A digital signal path looks like this:

[EQ]
(without any non-linearity)

It's really difficult to compare and value both.

I suspect that the relatively high distortion transformers produce at low frequencies has a positive effect on the otherwise quite "destructive" nature of a pure EQ. When it comes to music, a pure high pass filter can be something really aggressive and "brutish". It changes the harmonic ratio where it "hurts" the most: The fundamental. It is well known that brain can "re-construct" a missing fundamental given a proper harmonic structure.

To address your question, SlickEQ uses no "tricks" except a good filter structure and high precision. The point is, most half-way ok recordings already contain such harmonics, trying to add more doesn't really improve the situation in the general case. And I suspect this is the reason why even mastering engineers with fancy gear sometimes opt for the clean digital EQ sound they don't find anywhere else.

But it sounds like an interesting option for the Gentleman's Edition. :)
Fabien from Tokyo Dawn Records

Check out my audio processors over at the Tokyo Dawn Labs!

Hey Lexi, I think this is a misunderstanding. The online help reacts on "mouse-over". Just move the mouse cursor away from the [ ? ] button over to the control of interest (don't click, it immediately closes the help mode).
I understand that, what I mean is that when I move my mouse over any control it will not show anything as the pop up shown in the picture does not close for me. I have included a video to show what I mean

http://youtu.be/upbGCtfL4nQ

Thank you very much, Fabien, your knowledge sharing is much appreciated.

sinkmusic wrote:Hi, I have read a thread a bout SlickEq on GS, and the discussion was around "which eq for clean HPF" ?
Some "GSlutters" were saying that most (?) software eqs were bad in quality for HP filtering while mastering.
I have read hundreds of times that softwares eqs could have some trebble warping / aliasing while boosting trebbles, but i have never heard about possible issues while cutting frequencies below 20-50Hz ?

Could anyone elaborate a bit (with more "real-world usage" examples, as, if i can understand the theory -quantization noise, etc-, i may have never really cared about my HP :P).

Did some specific design went into SlickEq Hp ?
Did they mention phase problems when cutting low frequencies by any chance?
It's easy if you know how

I have read it a bit too quickly to answer, but here is the link :
http://www.gearslutz.com/board/new-prod ... y-tdr.html

Lexi wrote:
Hey Lexi, I think this is a misunderstanding. The online help reacts on "mouse-over". Just move the mouse cursor away from the [ ? ] button over to the control of interest (don't click, it immediately closes the help mode).
I understand that, what I mean is that when I move my mouse over any control it will not show anything as the pop up shown in the picture does not close for me. I have included a video to show what I mean

http://youtu.be/upbGCtfL4nQ
Oh, I see. That's definitely a bug, not just a missing feature ;)

We'll have a look at the problem, this is really strange. I suspect that the "out gain trim" mechanism behaves/breaks similarly?

Which version of Ableton Live is this?

lesha wrote:Did they mention phase problems when cutting low frequencies by any chance?
Really, this is most probably not the problem. With minimum phase filters (filters that try to introduce the least amount of delay), the frequency magnitude is directly dependent on the phase magnitude (and the other way around). In other words, all minimum phase EQs introduce exactly the same phase distortion for exactly the same frequency magnitude "shape" (analogue or not, it doesn't matter).

There's no doubt that the phase distortion minimum filters introduce is audible. But that's not really an interesting aspect for "A vs D" debates.

Now that i am using SLickEq, and since i realized it reminds me Nasty VCS (which i like), i can't help myself dreaming about a TDRVoS Nasty VCS MkII (with eq + sat + colourful comp) :D !
(And, well, of course, one day, a TDR VoS transient shaper, and a up/downward expander, and, and...) ;)

Oh, I see. That's definitely a bug, not just a missing feature ;)

We'll have a look at the problem, this is really strange. I suspect that the "out gain trim" mechanism behaves/breaks similarly?

Which version of Ableton Live is this?

Using version 9.1.1 32 bit

Is it possible to add a Delta button so we can hear only what is being processed like in Feedback comp? This could be amazing for something like the HPF!

David Else wrote:Is it possible to add a Delta button so we can hear only what is being processed like in Feedback comp? This could be amazing for something like the HPF!
Hey David,

no, that's not possible (or better: it would be pointless). The EQ is of the minimal phase type and thus distorts the phase.

A naive assumption would be to expect that the difference between a low-shelf and the original signal is a low-pass. But this is not true for minimum phase EQs. In this case, the difference between the original and the "low-shelved" version will be an all-pass (!).

This assumption is only true for linear-phase filtering.

Or the other way around: With minimum phase filters, you can't simply add a low-passed version to the original signal and expect to get a low-shelf. It doesn't create the expected "flat" shelve tops. Just try it out in your DAW.

The proper way to do this is to add an all-passed version of the original to the original signal. In this case, the phase shift of the all-pass will create the wanted shelf curve (given an adequate allpass filter).

Hey Fabien,

I have a tiny little request for upcoming update.

Would it be possible for SlickEQ to also recognize "," when typing-in parameter values ?

Being french (and writing down decimal numbers with commas instead of dots) and using an AZERTY keyboard (with a comma instead of a dot in its numeric pad), I often mistype values...

Not a big deal I agree, but still, it'd be a nice little workflow improvement !

Cheers !
Computer musician / Ableton Certified Trainer / Mastering engineer
.com
3OP

@Nilhartman: I fixed it in our codebase, will ship with the next update! (I simply replace "," with "." instead of ignoring it)

Fantastic, thank you Fabien ! :tu:
Computer musician / Ableton Certified Trainer / Mastering engineer
.com
3OP

Thanks, that helps with the Serbian keyboard also :)
It's easy if you know how

Return to “Tokyo Dawn Labs”