TDR Gate/Expander ?

Official support for: tokyodawn.net/tokyo-dawn-labs
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hey Fabien,

honey moon is over, yet I'm still in love with FeedbackCompressor2... and especially SlickEQ. Big times.

Fantastic plugins !

So, what about a Gate/Expander to complement them ? :wink:

They'd all make a lovely modular Channel strip :love:

Best,
Nil.
Computer musician / Ableton Certified Trainer / Mastering engineer
.com
3OP

yes, I'd like to have a TDR VoS up/downard epxander, as well as a transient shaper, too :D
But good things take time, and Slick Eq is still hot from the oven ;)

Definitely !

I hope I didn't sound like a spoiled child with already great toys to play with.

SlickEQ replaced all my EQs (I own some really good ones, and was about to spend big money on that swiss-knife EQ, you know, that one ;)) and put an end to my EQ GAS, and I'll load FC2 whenever I want clean yet elegant compression.

I just keep on using Duende's channel strip only for its gate/expander section, and haven't found anything to replace it yet (ReaGate is pretty nice, but you can't use it out of Reaper on mac). I can't help thinking it's a bit of an overkill though, and given the fantastic quality of SlickEQ and FC2 I'd love to have a full TDR/TDR+VOS mixing system.

I'll add that I'll buy their Gentleman's Editions whenever they're available.
.com
3OP

It's an interesting challenge, and to be honest, I already developed promising prototypes surrounding the topic of "below threshold processing" (expander, gate, upward-comp) as well as transient shaping.

But before that, we still have a few open todos:

- SlickEQ AAX release
- SlickEQ GE release
- FBCompII update (or "III", not sure yet)
- FBCompII GE release
- Limiter 6 update
+ more projects t.b.a. (at least another one in collaboration with Herbert)

Now that our basic framework runs fine (persistence, toolbar, basic "look and feel", software signing, etc), we are able to release faster than ever before. Doing the "right things" isn't really the problem, it's doing "things right" which takes most time (quality control, UI balancing, documentation). :)

BTW, I really appreciate to hear your positive post-honeymoon feedback! :)
Fabien from Tokyo Dawn Records

Check out my audio processors over at the Tokyo Dawn Labs!

Thank you for your reply, Fabien.
Looking forward to all your projects, I like the way you're doing it !

Exciting time to be ITB, nice todo list ! ;)

When it comes to SlickEQ, I haven't used any other EQ since its release. I'm still discovering it, as it's deeper than what it first looks (but you already know that !), sometimes it's hard to decide which color to finally pick... but I end most of the time with "American" (super smooth curves, they work on almost everything !) and some lovely Silky action to add that little elegant something, cerise sur le gâteau.

Out of curiosity, I wonder which color(s) people end using, with which output stage, on which kind of material.
.com
3OP

Nil, you can find a nice, long discussion with use-cases and shared presets over at http://www.gearslutz.com/board/new-prod ... y-tdr.html

I've read it, participated, and even got some thumbs-up (waow, haha !) from this morning post.
I'll post there then, no problemo.
.com
3OP

ah! that was you ;)

8) :wink:

Anyway Fabien I'd love to read your experience (and Vlad's and Herbert's) when mixing/mastering with SlickEQ. I'm not looking for presets at all (I don't like presets hehe), just food for thoughts.

You guys have succeeded in coding a wonderful tool, and I have no words to say how much I'm impressed by all its possible fantastic sounding settings/combos into such a clean, uncluttered, intuitive and elegant UI.
.com
3OP

Once i was searching for a decent expander, needed to bring up the speech above reverberation level recorded in audience (worked on a documentary film sound). Nothing was good enough, even "de-reverb" plugins. And then i've remembered about "listen" mode in FBC-II, which works exactly as expander, and i tried it on this material....man, it beat all expanders i've tried, easily! Try it, it is just plain awesome.

Return to “Tokyo Dawn Labs”