TDR VOS SlickEQ - presets!

Official support for: tokyodawn.net/tokyo-dawn-labs
RELATED
PRODUCTS
TDR VOS SlickEQ TDR VOS SlickEQ GE

Feel free to post you favourite presets here, we'll consider adding the most useful ones to forthcoming SlickEQ updates!
Fabien from Tokyo Dawn Records

Check out my audio processors over at the Tokyo Dawn Labs!

My preset for very slight stereo width enhancement:

<TokyoDawnLabs lowBandGainParam="-1.5" lowBandFreqParam="55" lowBandShapeParam="Off" midBandGainParam="1.5" midBandFreqParam="2000" highBandGainParam="1.5" highBandFreqParam="18000" highBandShapeParam="Off" eqModelParam="German" eqSatParam="On" hpFreqParam="36" outSatModelParam="Silky" outSatDriveParam="18.0" outGainParam="0.5" bypassParam="Off" modeParam="Diff" lowBandBypassParam="Off" midBandBypassParam="Off" highBandBypassParam="Off" autoGainParam="On"/>

It works on the "difference" signal only, slightly reducing bass and boosting mids and highs for a slight stereo width enhancement. Max "Silky" saturation acts somewhat like an exciter on high frequencies. A/B with the dry signal and adjust settings to taste. Let me know what you think!

(re-post from the effects forum so it's here for future reference)

I have made some nice presets that closely emulate the curves of the famous high end of the Siemens W295B. I think it is no accident that the best match was the German curves :)

I used Tim Petherick's Nebula version to take the measurements. They are copies of the original stepped hardware at +3, +6, +9 and +12 of the high end shelf. His latest version does not have the low end ripples that are shown in the graph, but the high end should be almost identical. VOS + TDL + VLADG are very welcome to use these presets in any updates if they like them.

The amount of distortion is a very rough match to the Siemens, but it is of course not the same thing so you may want to turn it off, and also put the fantastic auto volume match back on. I turned it off to do the matching and left the presets like that.

The curves are a perfect match until they reach about 14k when the original flattens out and SlickEQ continues upwards. I am looking forward to doing a Nebula vs SlickEQ shootout using these presets :party:

I have attached a graph that shows the exact matches of the curves. The faint ones are the originals with the SlickEQ presets on top of them.

Preset Name: Siemens W295B +3dB High (LDA)

<TokyoDawnLabs lowBandGainParam="3.0" lowBandFreqParam="30" lowBandShapeParam="Off" midBandGainParam="0.0" midBandFreqParam="1000" highBandGainParam="8.6" highBandFreqParam="29986" highBandShapeParam="Off" eqModelParam="German" eqSatParam="Off" hpFreqParam="Off" outSatModelParam="Silky" outSatDriveParam="6.0" outGainParam="0.0" bypassParam="Off" modeParam="Stereo" lowBandBypassParam="On" midBandBypassParam="On" highBandBypassParam="Off" autoGainParam="Off"/>

Preset Name: Siemens W295B +6dB High (LDA)

<TokyoDawnLabs lowBandGainParam="3.0" lowBandFreqParam="30" lowBandShapeParam="Off" midBandGainParam="0.0" midBandFreqParam="1000" highBandGainParam="12.5" highBandFreqParam="16652" highBandShapeParam="Off" eqModelParam="German" eqSatParam="Off" hpFreqParam="Off" outSatModelParam="Silky" outSatDriveParam="6.0" outGainParam="0.0" bypassParam="Off" modeParam="Stereo" lowBandBypassParam="On" midBandBypassParam="On" highBandBypassParam="Off" autoGainParam="Off"/>

Preset Name: Siemens W295B +9dB High (LDA)

<TokyoDawnLabs lowBandGainParam="3.0" lowBandFreqParam="30" lowBandShapeParam="Off" midBandGainParam="0.0" midBandFreqParam="1000" highBandGainParam="13.4" highBandFreqParam="10019" highBandShapeParam="Off" eqModelParam="German" eqSatParam="Off" hpFreqParam="Off" outSatModelParam="Silky" outSatDriveParam="6.0" outGainParam="0.0" bypassParam="Off" modeParam="Stereo" lowBandBypassParam="On" midBandBypassParam="On" highBandBypassParam="Off" autoGainParam="Off"/>

Preset Name: Siemens W295B +12dB High (LDA)

<TokyoDawnLabs lowBandGainParam="3.0" lowBandFreqParam="30" lowBandShapeParam="Off" midBandGainParam="0.0" midBandFreqParam="1000" highBandGainParam="14.2" highBandFreqParam="6560" highBandShapeParam="Off" eqModelParam="German" eqSatParam="Off" hpFreqParam="Off" outSatModelParam="Silky" outSatDriveParam="6.0" outGainParam="0.0" bypassParam="Off" modeParam="Stereo" lowBandBypassParam="On" midBandBypassParam="On" highBandBypassParam="Off" autoGainParam="Off"/>
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

<TokyoDawnLabs lowBandGainParam="6.0" lowBandFreqParam="250" lowBandShapeParam="On" midBandGainParam="12.0" midBandFreqParam="4017" highBandGainParam="6.0" highBandFreqParam="2000" highBandShapeParam="Off" eqModelParam="British" eqSatParam="Off" hpFreqParam="120" outSatModelParam="Linear" outSatDriveParam="0.0" outGainParam="0.0" bypassParam="Off" modeParam="Stereo" lowBandBypassParam="On" midBandBypassParam="Off" highBandBypassParam="On" autoGainParam="On"/>

Guitar cab. eq, default opens in my chain (pre-cab.) and worked well so far on the cab.s I use most.

To add mid.s, just slowly bring the freq. to 1khz from default 4khz to taste.

Enable low for beef or depth, enable high to open the sound.

To me; British sound better solo while Amerikan blends better in a mix using the same settings, enjoy :)

Thanks you guys! Good stuff! :)

Great idea. I also like the copy and paste presets...a nod to Valhalla I assume. Either way it works nicely. Thanks TDR!

Here is my Preset SSL E Channel EQ sound:

Edit:

<TDRVOSSlickEQ lowBandGainParam="0.0" lowBandFreqParam="100" lowBandShapeParam="Off" midBandGainParam="0.0" midBandFreqParam="330" highBandGainParam="0.0" highBandFreqParam="7994" highBandShapeParam="On" eqModelParam="British" eqSatParam="On" hpFreqParam="Off" outSatModelParam="Deep" outSatDriveParam="18.0" outGainParam="0.0" bypassParam="Off" modeParam="Stereo" lowBandBypassParam="Off" midBandBypassParam="Off" highBandBypassParam="Off" autoGainParam="Off"/>
Last edited by xtrax on Mon Aug 25, 2014 4:58 am, edited 4 times in total.

Edit
Closer curves:

And Neve 1081 EQ sound:

<TDRVOSSlickEQ lowBandGainParam="0.0" lowBandFreqParam="100" lowBandShapeParam="On" midBandGainParam="0.0" midBandFreqParam="330" highBandGainParam="0.0" highBandFreqParam="3996" highBandShapeParam="Off" eqModelParam="German" eqSatParam="Off" hpFreqParam="Off" outSatModelParam="Silky" outSatDriveParam="15.0" outGainParam="0.0" bypassParam="Off" modeParam="Stereo" lowBandBypassParam="Off" midBandBypassParam="Off" highBandBypassParam="Off" autoGainParam="Off"/>

I replaced all Slick EQ in the mix with this preset recently, and it is a magic what it did to the sound. Amazing...
Last edited by xtrax on Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:18 pm, edited 10 times in total.

Hello
Here are some presets i created (in context) for SLickEq.
https://app.box.com/s/n0zb0g8ebzm04o1shg3w

sinkmusic:
WHy did you save them in the fxp format? One of the beauties of this plugin (like the Valhalla plugins too) is that presets can be saved and shared in simple txt files. Open in notepad.
Music folds and unfolds the universe.
http://soundyaudio.com/

richinmusic wrote:sinkmusic:
WHy did you save them in the fxp format? One of the beauties of this plugin (like the Valhalla plugins too) is that presets can be saved and shared in simple txt files. Open in notepad.
Good point. The "share" code is a stripped down version of the full, internal preset format. The latter contains A/B settings as well as local undo states and even huge binary blobs in future plugins (such as cached images, waveforms or whatever). The internal preset format can't be pasted into the plugin.

@sinkmusic: However, your efforts weren't totally pointless ;) ! You pointed me to a small mistake we made in the preset sharing code generation. The root tag is currently name "TokyoDawnLabs" but it should really be "TDRVOSSlickEQ" (i.e. the plugin name).

I'll fix it in our code-base and the fix will ship with the next update (of course, we will still support the previous "TokyoDawnLabs" tag).

I want to almost apologize to sink music too, you re smarter than I gave you credit for....I soon realized that the fxp format will be needed soon if a person wants many presets..... the internal presets has a very limited number of slots available (mine are gone already!). Can that be changed to have many more? Or is that a bigger job than it seems to a non-coder like me?

Mhhh.. I like the idea to make the amount of user-preset slots user configurable (via the plugin's config file).

Technically, the only reasons why we need to limit the amount of user presets are:

1. Prevent preset drop-down lists from growing too large (DAW's native preset lists most of all).
2. Several DAWs/formats assume the preset list count to be be a constant. We can't change this at runtime without risking problems in some (standard compliant) DAWs.

We'll probably add some sort of configuration feature to the next update.

On a side note, all generic features such as the toolbar/copy/paste/whatever will be slowly but surely added to all our plugins (or more accurately: we'll "port" all our previous plugins to our new framework).

Thanks for clarifying this. By the way, awesome EQ, I am hoping that you guys are still planning on developing and releasing the "gentleman's version" I read about.... and a dynamics plugin......
I will PM you my contact info, I am an experienced, thorough, and communicative software tester (with 3 different Windows systems) and would love to help.

Return to “Tokyo Dawn Labs”