TDR VOS SlickEQ - Gentleman's Edition - Warm up!

Official support for: tokyodawn.net/tokyo-dawn-labs
RELATED
PRODUCTS
TDR VOS SlickEQ TDR VOS SlickEQ GE

As mentioned in previous announcements, we plan to release a "Gentleman's Edition" of SlickEQ. This improved version will be offered in exchange for a few bucks.

Over the last weeks, we tried to condense all the passionate user feedback to something.. ehmm.. ..more realistic :D and began to work on a UI and evaluate the new ideas in practice.

Here's what we came up with:

- 4 bands (new mid band).
- 2 bandwidth control bands (HP and LP, maybe with steepness options)
- 2 shape options per band (shelf/bell for edge bands or wide/narrow for mid bands).
- More out sat stage options.
- One additional, more aggressive EQ model.
- As well as 2-3 additional options T.B.A.

We'd love to hear your thought on this. Maybe there's something clever we've overseen while harvesting all the feedback!
Fabien from Tokyo Dawn Records

Check out my audio processors over at the Tokyo Dawn Labs!

Ah, that looks like just what the doctor ordered! Can't wait! I'd love three mid controls, but understand if there's not room on the GUI.

FabienTDR wrote:As mentioned in previous announcements, we plan to release a "Gentleman's Edition" of SlickEQ. This improved version will be offered in exchange for a few bucks.

Over the last weeks, we tried to condense all the passionate user feedback to something.. ehmm.. ..more realistic :D and began to work on a UI and evaluate the new ideas in practice.

Here's what we came up with:

- 4 bands (new mid band).
- 2 bandwidth control bands (HP and LP, maybe with steepness options)
- 2 shape options per band (shelf/bell for edge bands or wide/narrow for mid bands).
- More out sat stage options.
- One additional, more aggressive EQ model.
- As well as 2-3 additional options T.B.A.

Great! But please can it be ready this year? :pray:
I hope that will not take time like Feedback comp GE... :pray:
Great EQ indeed. :clap:

Different model per band possible?

Hermetech Mastering wrote:Different model per band possible?
From my personal experience that could be complete mess.
All bands are interconnected by topography serial or parallel, so on the end you can get something like soup of everything mixed but nothing defined on the end.

The same like some fellows use VCC and in the mix they like to use few channels from API other several from Neve or SSL and on the end the picture is fuzzy.

It is easier to use two instances of different EQ's and use just one band over the other one.
On that way we could have this eq this year I hope...

This (extra mid, narrow q option) will complicate the need of different eq options inside the eq.

Testing 5 different eq's on a source for the right Q value (with Q options!) are against the logic of this eq's design. Might as well make bands visual and only keep 1 eq (like only german for example...) and turn it into something not so special :P ...

So I vote no to options 1,3 and 5. Especially cause there will be a LP and bands can still be selected bell or shelve, it should be kept as a shaping eq not corrective.

As for coloration, I think the complain is it can't be used as a coloring tool right now. If both eq sat. and out sat. could optionally be routed pre eq without the limitation (only works when bands are boosted) the effect would be much more apparent.

What I'd personally want would be the FIR mod tweakability like on Equilibrium. When enhanced it uses lots of CPU (only good for mastering) but the min. phase or other eq options sound so organic its amazing. Tested both side by side and slickeq filters couldn't hold up.

Don't know if its possible but I'd like a simple button on it that bumps the quality for mastering usage.

@xtrax:

Now that our "rapid development framework" is well tested (the thing we worked on over the last 8 months) GEs' will appear much faster now. (+ FBCompII update soon)

FabienTDR wrote:@xtrax:

Now that our "rapid development framework" is well tested (the thing we worked on over the last 8 months) GEs' will appear much faster now. (+ FBCompII update soon)
Oh. That is great news indeed. :tu:

yeah interesting, but whats with the automatic coloring of the gui then?
Whoever wants music instead of noise, joy instead of pleasure, soul instead of gold, creative work instead of business, passion instead of foolery, finds no home in this trivial world of ours.

xtrax wrote:
From my personal experience that could be complete mess.
All bands are interconnected by topography serial or parallel, so on the end you can get something like soup of everything mixed but nothing defined on the end.

The same like some fellows use VCC and in the mix they like to use few channels from API other several from Neve or SSL and on the end the picture is fuzzy.
I dunno, it works very well for me in EQuilibrium. Love being able to select different curves for different bands.

murnau wrote:
I dislike the different colours anyway, just keep it all blue like FBCompII!

lol

Hermetech Mastering wrote:
murnau wrote:
I dislike the different colours anyway, just keep it all blue like FBCompII!
different colors are not that bad but i prefer to chose myself which color/which instrument to have a better overview and back to SlickEQ for me it's enough that's it's stated German,British etc.
Whoever wants music instead of noise, joy instead of pleasure, soul instead of gold, creative work instead of business, passion instead of foolery, finds no home in this trivial world of ours.

A frequency analyzer display, with the ability to manipulate the center frequency of each band right on the display? Yes, I know, you're supposed to use your ears not your eyes, but many of us do use both. :)

I like the colors !

Now that I've spent some times mixing with SlickEQ I don't see much to add/change to its current version... but an LPF. And maybe those wide/narrow toggles and steepness options for HPF/LPF.

I just hope you won't "EQuilibrium" it too much with that Gentleman Edition. Don't get me wrong, DMG's plugin is a fantastic sounding-one, but it's also a nightmare with way too many options for compulsive parameter tweakers like me.

I'll buy it no matter what but still, even though I'm pretty sure you won't clutter it with a zillion features, please keep it as simple and elegant as possible.
Computer musician / Ableton Certified Trainer / Mastering engineer
.com
3OP

Return to “Tokyo Dawn Labs”