TDR VOS SlickEQ - Gentleman's Edition - Warm up!

Official support for: tokyodawn.net/tokyo-dawn-labs
RELATED
PRODUCTS
TDR VOS SlickEQ TDR VOS SlickEQ GE

sunny_j wrote:no full-range centre frequencies on all dials?
As posted in the Effects forum:
sunny_j, it's not a technical issue. :)

We discussed the idea internally, but we finally agreed on the point that since he plugin doesn't feature real-time EQ curve view, the band titled "LOW" should really affect the lows, no matter the knob position. It's meant to improve intuitive use by reducing the knob ranges to "reasonable" bounds, "reasonable" in the sense of this specific concept of course.

Technically, it doesn't matter anyway. Everything one could achieve with greater ranges would be redundant (i.e. it would produce a curve which could be easily re-produced within the given restrictions).

A flexible band 1, 2, 3 concept really asks for a real-time EQ curve display. We really had to draw a clear line between our musically motivated approach and highly flexible technical concepts.
Fabien from Tokyo Dawn Records

Check out my audio processors over at the Tokyo Dawn Labs!

This is what i call a noble answer. Thank you Fabien. Now i understand how stuff works, why you go this way and why your products works so nice.
Anyhow, it was not a problem, just a question you sincerely answered to. Now i definitely stuck with your devices as my primary instruments for a loooong time.

I guess it got lost in the other questions :
nilhartman wrote: Fabien, will it be possible to copy/paste SlickEQ free version's presets into GE ?
It'd be great to quickly transfer settings from current version to GE (it's such a smart, handy feature !) :wink:

About NFR licence : nothing wrong with that IMO. Especially given the already fantastic plugin available for free. Besides, 30€ is really cheap for such amazing tools, all the free TDR plugins worths so much more.
zvukofor wrote:Now i definitely stuck with your devices as my primary instruments for a loooong time.
Same here, SlickEQ won't leave my sessions anytime soon.
Computer musician / Ableton Certified Trainer / Mastering engineer
.com
3OP

Oh yes, it will be compatible. Vlad just pushed a code change fixing a bug surrounding the issue, that's why I'm sure it works. ;)

Happy you can live with NFR. It's not that we're particularly obsessive about it, but the simplification it brings makes it really worth the small restriction. We would certainly look for another solution if we were talking about >100€ products.

I just saw Vlad's animation of the curves in the GE edition :)

I am loving the look of those tilt curves for mastering.

Will definitely buy when it's ready. Also eagerly anticipating both the FB comp GE and the De-Esser.

Take my money already! :)

Cheers

Scorb
I once thought I had mono for an entire year. It turned out I was just really bored...

Someone on a forum asked me to share my opinion of the new Slick EQ GE, so I thought I'd copy and paste them here:

"All of the new features are great, and very cleverly thought out.

The Japanese curves finally give it the ability to do surgical cuts.

The tilt is the best implemented I have found so far (I have tried the Elysia one and the DMG one previously). I asked the developers to make it really sensitive/precise, as a little can go a very long way, and they did just that (it can go from - to + 3dB). The crazy "V" shape mode is unlike anything I've ever seen before. It's basically like a "loudness/smiley curve" control on old hi-fis, only you can choose the amount and the mid/fulcrum point. Or you can use it as a mid bump. All great for mastering or voice over duties etc.

The two new saturation models are great, probably won't use them in mastering as they are deliberately more coloured sounding. One is good for more distorted sounds, and the other supposedly replicates transformer saturation. Good thing is with the "calibrate" control you can pull it right back or push it until it's really audible. It's basically an "amount" control for the saturation.

LPF is good, although not so much need for it here yet. The new "tape bump" mode on the HPF has come in useful. It gives a little boost an octave above the cutoff, so you can set it at about half the frequency of the bass line/kick drum and it gives a little boost to the audible bass while cutting out the subsonic stuff.

The auto make-up gain is, as always, just an AMAZING thing to work with, and saves so much time trying to A/B with before and after EQ at volume matched gains etc. It's great tool to hear what it's REALLY doing to the sound at the flick of a switch.

Since I've been beta testing SlickEQ GE, EQuilibrium hasn't got a look in. It really is that versatile. I've been using it all week on everything! Very, very happy with it! It will be $40 I think, and the release should be pretty soon."

thank you!

Waiting impatiently for the GE version. Have been testing the free version and this EQ is a blast to use with the auto gain feature. So useful!

We'll unleash SlickEQ - Gentleman's Edition tomorrow! :)

Please include the typo and grammar edited manual in the package, though - the RC still has the old one in ;)

oh ;) What's left?

I've just sent you the latest version that includes the explanation of 'phi' button. That wasn't in the previous manual proofread that I sent you. :)

Bought the plugin. Fantastic EQ.

Thanks Yorrrrr! :)

Return to “Tokyo Dawn Labs”