TDR VOS SlickEQ - Gentleman's Edition - Warm up!

Official support for: tokyodawn.net/tokyo-dawn-labs
RELATED
PRODUCTS
TDR VOS SlickEQ TDR VOS SlickEQ GE

just wondering if anyone else might find it crazy useful to have a pseudo-mix/master gain knob that would scale all the gain settings between 0%, "dry", and say 200% "wet"?

bangzero wrote:just wondering if anyone else might find it crazy useful to have a pseudo-mix/master gain knob that would scale all the gain settings between 0%, "dry", and say 200% "wet"?
Please not, it's an equalizer, not a compressor or FX. :!: :?:
Further the less knobs the better for easy workflow.

PeterL wrote:
bangzero wrote:just wondering if anyone else might find it crazy useful to have a pseudo-mix/master gain knob that would scale all the gain settings between 0%, "dry", and say 200% "wet"?
Please not, it's an equalizer, not a compressor or FX. :!: :?:
Further the less knobs the better for easy workflow.
While I certainly agree that we're always short of knob space, the ability to "scale" the whole EQ effect is interesting, particularly in combination with auto-gain.
Fabien from Tokyo Dawn Records

Check out my audio processors over at the Tokyo Dawn Labs!

Here's a first preview:

Couldn't imagine better, don't keep us waiting long :)

Cooker wrote:[...] don't keep us waiting long :)
No worries, what you see here is a 100% functional plugin! :)

Beta starts soon and will allow us to announce a reliable release date. We still have todos, they relate to documentation and several commercial details, such as tax handling, new terms and conditions, extension of TDR's shop system etc.

Looks really useful. I might just become a proper gentleman thanks to this plugin.

Is there going to be a separate demo or will the regular version be your demo since this really is just an extension?

Any pricing info, yet?
..off to play with my music toys - library music production.
http://www.FiveMinuteHippo.com

Can't wait !
Fabien, will it be possible to copy/paste SlickEQ free version's presets into GE ?
Computer musician / Ableton Certified Trainer / Mastering engineer
.com
3OP

I'm in regardless of the price you name...
Fabian, your GUI design is flawless as ever, love the new icons for the HP/LP/Tilt filter. Just one tiny remark: while every element is practically self-explanatory and new users shouldn't need any manual to operate the EQ, the abbreviation of "Auto" to just "A" is not perfect here. Seems like a space related compromise, but then I have no better idea how to incorporate a larger button in what space is left there, so I can totally live with the result and you provide online help anyway, so forget about it :ud:

medienhexer wrote:Looks really useful. I might just become a proper gentleman thanks to this plugin.

Is there going to be a separate demo or will the regular version be your demo since this really is just an extension?

Any pricing info, yet?

No, a true demo is not planned. The standard edition is the demo for the GE. It think it's a win/win for both the end-user (he gets a fully working product since the beginning) and for us developers (it delays cracking teams and leaks and allows us to save a lot pointless dev time put into "negative" features purely meant to annoy the user).

It's a compromise, but I think it is a good one. People can take all the time they need to discover and evaluate the core features and we hopefully gain an extra 2-3 month advance to potential leaks/cracks, because only true customers ever get access to the copy protection code. Good thing for customers is that the latter is no more than a very unobtrusive, light weight "garden fence" keyfile-based protection.

A gentleman can use his key for as many installation as he wants. No calls "home", no hardware based restriction, full freedom. Mhh well, there is one little thing but I guess most ppl can perfectly live with it: We do not allow license transfer or re-selling. This relates to German laws and also allows us to save a lot time hunting illegal offers.

Price for SlickEQ GE planned to be around 30€ (~40$)

fese wrote:I'm in regardless of the price you name...
Fabian, your GUI design is flawless as ever, love the new icons for the HP/LP/Tilt filter. Just one tiny remark: while every element is practically self-explanatory and new users shouldn't need any manual to operate the EQ, the abbreviation of "Auto" to just "A" is not perfect here. Seems like a space related compromise, but then I have no better idea how to incorporate a larger button in what space is left there, so I can totally live with the result and you provide online help anyway, so forget about it :ud:

lol, I understand your point. It was about space, really. Making autogain bigger doesn't really look good in the current state.

there is one little thing but I guess most ppl can perfectly live with it: We do not allow license transfer
oops... :oops:
Whoever wants music instead of noise, joy instead of pleasure, soul instead of gold, creative work instead of business, passion instead of foolery, finds no home in this trivial world of ours.

This is marvelous! Waiting for release, indeed this will be my only EQ in a pair with free version. Fabien and guys, you're great!

One question: why does Slick EQ has latency? Can we have a switch for low latency for realtime use? It is not that it has such a big latency, but anyway...and when using together with FBC-II, it becomes annoying for some musicians..

no full-range centre frequencies on all dials?

zvukofor wrote:One question: why does Slick EQ has latency? Can we have a switch for low latency for realtime use? It is not that it has such a big latency, but anyway...and when using together with FBC-II, it becomes annoying for some musicians..
I understand that latency stacks up badly if one attempt to use our current plugins in tracking and/or when playing instruments in real-time. There's no question about the fact that "no latency" represents a noble goal! Latency is a true blocker in many applications.

However, I think it is beneficial to dedicate concept/specification/development to specific use scenarios. The main goal with our current line of plugins is sound-quality, latency considerations have been intentionally given lowest priority. In other words, we currently focus on the end of the production process, mixing and mastering.

As long the majority doesn't use high rates as default for their processing tasks (at least 2x audio rate), it will be remain difficult to offer wide-band, musical, quality non-linear processing in the digital domain. Of course, there are exceptions here and there, but that's the main problem.

So, to answer your question, you already have a sort of "latency switch" on the plugin. Just feed in a higher sample-rate! It will reduce latency by huge amounts, and may even reduce CPU load (in most cases)! This is particularly dramatic with the FB comp II, at 88.1kHz, latency drops to 8 samples!

None of our plugins oversample in the true sense of the word. Different parts of the algorithm run at their optimal rate. To do so, we need some sort of resampling process, which in turn introduces latency.

As a side note, while it is perfectly possible to resample with minimal-phase filters, they still introduce substantial amounts of group delay (latency), they introduce very audible side-effects and produce several phase-shift related problems down the line (depending what exactly in done with this resampled signal). That's why we use linear-phase resampling in most cases.. ..if the specification allows any latency.

We cannot simply add a "resampling bypass" switch to our current concepts. It would suddenly sound bad and several features such as the FB Comp's delta or bit-transparency would be gone. Not to mention the sound.

We'll most probably work on a low latency line sooner or later. Low latency asks for special trickery to achieve high quality results.

Return to “Tokyo Dawn Labs”