TDR VOS SlickEQ - Update 1.0.1

Official support for: tokyodawn.net/tokyo-dawn-labs
RELATED
PRODUCTS
TDR VOS SlickEQ

TDR VOS SlickEQ - Update 1.0.1 is now available from the Tokyo Dawn Labs page: http://www.tokyodawn.net/tdr-vos-slickeq/

1.0.1 Update
  • New AAX Editions (experimental, Win32 not functional).
  • Performance optimizations (+30% in some cases).
  • Value-displays now accept "," as decimal separator (in addition to ".")
  • Fixed rare denormal issues
  • User presets slots increased to 10
  • On a Mac, short-cut labels show "Cmd" instead of "Ctrl"
  • Preset code now uses the Plugin-name as root tag (the old format is still supported)
  • Show parameter units in GUI-less mode
  • Fix in mac install script bug which prevented the creation of user presets
Fabien from Tokyo Dawn Records

Check out my audio processors over at the Tokyo Dawn Labs!

Can't download, the download link after accepting the license agreement redirects to home page.
It's easy if you know how

That's confirmed for the version without installer. Version with installer downloads just fine.

Sorry sorry, the "no installer" link was broken for a few seconds.. ..should be fine now. :)

No installer DL'd in 20 seconds for me. Seems to be fine now. Great work!!
John
"B4serenity"

Hi and thanks for the update. Liking the eq a lot so far!

A quick question though: how does the "silky" saturation mode differ from the linear one? There doesn't seem to be anything happening (at least above -100dB), when I compare the differences?

You'll need musical content. All modes are totally signal dependent. A 1kHz sine and 0dB isn't really such a "musical content" signal. :)

I really recommend you to (bypass) A/B several modes and try different material (with a solid monitoring system). Half-assed DIY measurements are pretty pointless, especially without intimate knowledge of the non-linearity you are looking for. Maybe our stuff does great things on full moon, a 1kHz sine won't tell you. The same is true for anything that acts dynamicaly in some way.

To be clear, we don't use naive wave shaping techniques in the signal path. These modes are not "saturators" or meant to produce any audible saturation. None of them restrict the level. From a certain perspective, they are designed to exclusively produce the least audible forms of distortion (i.e. those we call musical in the context of high end gear). A well made and properly gain-staged analogue EQ doesn't "saturate" either. The silky mode produces side effects based on signal history. A 1kHz sine is pretty boring "history" for a processor made to work with music.

Whoa, whoa, easy with the assumptions there :D

I was running a whole mix through two channels with SlickEQs, one in linear and one in silky, other channel polarity inversed. No measurable difference. Then when I switch to either Mellow or Deep some distortion begins to actually show up. I just thought it might be a bug or something, no need to get all defensive...

EDIT: Actually there seems to be very slight amount of distortion present with the Silky mode, peaking at about -89dBFS. Apologies for the misinformation. It's definitely too subtle for me, but the other modes seem nice.

I'm just in the process of getting to know what the plugin actually does... please don't hate. :hug:

Maybe this helps:

The harmonic pattern you see here depends on amplitude, frequency and dynamics history. It changes.

Silky for example saturates in such a manner that it doesn't mess with the transients. It produces a majority of odd order harmonics for some Low frequencies events and some even order series at high frequencies. Similar how top "transparent" gear is designed to avoid audible distortion. Of course, this never sounds obviously saturated, it just can't and that makes it a really realistic option for serious mastering tasks. If your monitoring system saturates too much on its own, and/or expect any obvious guitar distortion feel, it will be almost impossible to hear the effects of this function. This more "exciter".

I understand that some gear designers/devs used to chain rather crude saturators with every kind of processor. But that's not the concept here.

Eleventh wrote:please don't hate. :hug:
My comment really wasn't meant to sound harsh. We'll maybe add a less subtle mode into the forthcoming "GE" edition (discussion here).

Thanks for the detailed clarifiaction. There definitely looks to be something groovy going on, but I think I'll leave that mode to the mastering engineers. :)

I'm not that interested in the saturation side anyway, as I can cover that base separately with other, dedicated plugins. But more bands, Q adjustment, and the tilt mode proposed in the GE thread all sound very nice. It'll definitely be on my shopping list, along with the possible future Feedback Comp GE. :P

Cheers.

Loving SlickEQ and was attempting to upgrade to ver1.0.1 when I received an error message about Reaper not being able to start the program because MSVCR100.dll is missing from my machine. Have been running release version no prob. Wondering if this makes sense to you. First time I've ever seen this error. I run Win 7 64bit on an Intel 980 hex-core monster. I'm afraid to install that dll for fear of making my system unstable. I'd appreciate any advise. Can't get enough of your plugs, thanks Fabien.
Screenshot-42.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

It's Microsoft® C Runtime Library. Nothing to worry about. Many Programs need it.
║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█

Thanks valerian. Just seemed odd that the release version didn't need it, nor any other programs I'm using. Wondering if this will come up if I just wait for the GE version.

I dont know if they really didn't need it. Maybe it's only that you just recently lost the .dll by accident? You can't know which Programs needed it in the past (as it was on your System).

EDIT: rather then downloading this one .dll I would suggest to install the whole Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable (if you are on Win7) again.
║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█

Return to “Tokyo Dawn Labs”