Slick EQ - Saturation

Official support for: tokyodawn.net/tokyo-dawn-labs
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi there,

Does anybody know the best way to hear the differences between the different saturation models in Slick EQ?

Marcus.

As far as I know, the saturation only kicks in when you are boosting. I'd test them by exaggerating the boosts; Load a reference track with SlickEQ on it, turn on Auto gain compensation, turn calibrate up to 18.0dB, then crank all the gain knobs. Then flip through the Out Stage settings to try the different types, and see how extreme settings of them sound. You'll notice that "Funky" really distorts everything, while "Mellow" seems to add a creaminess across the mids, etc. You can find your own adjectives. Obviously these will be caricatures of the actual saturation, but it might serve to illustrate some differences due to the exaggeration.

Incidentally, this is also how I learned about different compressor variables like attack and release; slam the compressor needlessly hard and then play with the other parameters to really analyze the differences.

Thanks, that was great!

The output stage saturation is applied even with knobs at zero: another layer of saturation is applied to the bands when boosted.

If you want to "see" what the saturation types are doing, you can send a sine wave into them and look at the harmonics on a spectrum analyzer. To hear them clearly, max out "calibrate". Even then, they can be subtle at conservative mix levels.

and try the null test with two identical source on two seperate tracks like we've seen in Dan Worral "Emphasis de-emphasis" youtube video :)

Return to “Tokyo Dawn Labs”