Did something change re. polyphony?

Official support for: tx16wx.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi Calle,

I've just noticed that some notes are being cut prematurely (causing loud clicks) on a track where TX16Wx is doing a lot of work. It's very obvious on one particular group but I think it's happening to the output of other groups too.

I found that if I deleted all notes other than those that trigger the group that obviously cuts out, then that group plays as expected.

It seems like the maximum polyphony has gone down and new notes received by other groups are causing this group to cut its output. Could something have been knocked out of whack by recent changes?

Using the latest TX16Wx 2.1.0 b3 on REAPER 32bit, Win7 32bit. I can send you a REAPER project if it will help.

There are a few small changes to the voice stealing, but not really anything that should affect perceived behavior. If you have an example file that illustrates a problem, please send it to me. There will be a new beta in a few days though, with rather a lot of features and fixes, so you might want to wait for it.
TX16Wx Software Sampler:
http://www.tx16wx.com/

Thanks Calle. I've sent you a message. :)

So I checked your reaper project, and it does indeed clip notes. However, I'm not sure this is any flaw or change in TX16Wx. It seems the midi clip in the project is full of duplicate events. In fact, the first "guiro" hit is repeated ~2000 times. Since TX16Wx accepts duplicate notes (to facilitate "drum-echo"), this will indeed wreck some havoc on the internal polyphony (which is still working on a first-in-first-out basis).
I simply did a "remove duplicates" on the clip, and now it plays as (I imagine) intended. No clipped notes.
There is some interpretation as to how to handle a duplicate note-on. The MIDI spec suggests that an incoming note-on X should silence a currently playing note X on the same channel. Since TX16Wx allows more than one slot to share channels, it does not do this, but simply handles it as separate polyphony items. Obviously it will have some problems though if dealt this level of abuse ;-)
Cheers
/C
TX16Wx Software Sampler:
http://www.tx16wx.com/

Ah, then that's a bug of mine! The MIDI is a render of the output of something I wrote and there definitely shouldn't be 2000 overlapping notes. I should have thought to check the event list after rendering the MIDI.

Thanks for looking and I'm sorry to have wasted your time.

edit: Oh, not my bug. It was the original source MIDI that contained all those duplicates. HTFDTH?!

Return to “CWITEC”