2.1.0 b4 - first look at FX and sends

Official support for: tx16wx.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello all.
Its been a little while since last beta drop, and trust me, I have been rather busy. The innards of TX16Wx has received a complete workup, with the sound render loop being pretty well modified. The result is that TX16Wx now support signal routing and insert FX processing.
TX16Wx now has 6 assignable FX busses, to each of which you can route either group(s) or program slots signals. Each group also has an optional insert effect, with modulation-able parameters.
You can also send the slot/group signal to different outputs directly, and in the case of groups, you can modulate the send levels, making for some pretty neat signal processing abilities.

Now, the actual FX context of this release is perhaps a bit meager. This is intentional. I wanted to let you try this new feature before I delve into writing FX modules. Also, I want to get some work done on the new automation framework I'm thinking of. Which brings me to a rather big caveat about the FX in this release; there is no automation yet for send FX parameters, nor program slot sends.

Filters and filter accuracy also got some love in this drop.

Version 2.1.0 b3 (2013-01-31)
  • Added support for send and insert FX
  • Added send support to groups and program slots
  • Added reverb FX
  • Added phaser FX/insert
  • Added "bassline" insert filter
  • Added bitcrusher insert
  • Added compressor insert
  • Improved filter tuning
  • Fixed filters not scaling correctly with sample frequency
  • Fixed trigger values for LFO/SEQ not correct when used as matrix input
Download as always at http://www.tx16wx.com/

Happy sampling!
TX16Wx Software Sampler:
http://www.tx16wx.com/

Thanks Calle!

Hi Calle,

Output routing from FX bus slots is wrong. I have a program set to output on 3+4 and in that program I have a group sending to FX1 (Reverb). As I change the output for FX1, this is what happens:

Code: Select all

Dest:   Output:
S1+2    S1 + S2
S3+4    S2 + S3
S5+6    S3 + S4
S7+8    S4 + S5
M1      S5
M2      S6
M3      S7
M4      S8
M5      M1
M6      M2
M7      M3
M8      M4

Thank you !

Wow, the reverb uses a biiig lot of cpu (enabling it causes the cpu to increase for about 30%) :-o

Also on the subject of FX bus outputs, would it be possible to output from one FX bus to another ie. send FX1 to FX2? I know there are feedback issues to be considered but perhaps if the busses were limited to outputting to subsequent buses then it might be okay ie. FX3 can only send to FX 4, 5 or 6.

Ideally it would be nice to be able to send any FX bus to any/all other busses but I confess I have no idea how hard that would be to implement. Simple serial routing would be better than nothing though. Could it be done?

Nitpick: the 'FX' panel on the group controls should be 'sends' now.

I'd also like to take this opportunity to say a massive and completely heartfelt
THANKYOU! YOU ROCK!
for doing what you're doing. It must be a mountain of work but please don't stop. It really is completely awesome.

sinkmusic wrote:Wow, the reverb uses a biiig lot of cpu (enabling it causes the cpu to increase for about 30%) :-o
That does not sound right? On my machines the reverb jumps the CPU ~4-5%. (from 2 to 6, idle voices, ASIO 1024 bytes buffer out). What machine are you running?
TX16Wx Software Sampler:

Well, my other reverbs used to use around 2-4%cpu. 34% is indeed hugezilla.
I am running 384 samples latency, Asio drivers, Win Vista dual core.

IXIX wrote:Also on the subject of FX bus outputs, would it be possible to output from one FX bus to another ie. send FX1 to FX2? I know there are feedback issues to be considered but perhaps if the busses were limited to outputting to subsequent buses then it might be okay ie. FX3 can only send to FX 4, 5 or 6.

Ideally it would be nice to be able to send any FX bus to any/all other busses but I confess I have no idea how hard that would be to implement. Simple serial routing would be better than nothing though. Could it be done?

Nitpick: the 'FX' panel on the group controls should be 'sends' now.

I'd also like to take this opportunity to say a massive and completely heartfelt
THANKYOU! YOU ROCK!
for doing what you're doing. It must be a mountain of work but please don't stop. It really is completely awesome.
Sure, easy enough to make the output go to any of the send destinations, as long as (as you say) you can only send forward. The UI should make this very clear though, I guess...

Actually, 'FX' should perhaps be 'Send FX'. 'Sends' include outputs as well (strictly speaking).

I'm happy you enjoy the results. Lately I've been a little less happy and motivated, what with all I hear is sfz this and sfz that... But the show must go on. You might be happy to hear that I've fixed (I hope) all bugs reported by you, and you can expect a secret fix release very soon. And it includes play indicators in the SEQ-lfo editors. ;-)

Cheers
TX16Wx Software Sampler:

elcallio wrote:And it includes play indicators in the SEQ-lfo editors. ;-)
Cheers
:love:

elcallio wrote:I'm happy you enjoy the results. Lately I've been a little less happy and motivated, what with all I hear is sfz this and sfz that... But the show must go on. You might be happy to hear that I've fixed (I hope) all bugs reported by you, and you can expect a secret fix release very soon. And it includes play indicators in the SEQ-lfo editors. ;-)

Cheers
I look forward to every new development and I'll do my best to provide useful bug reports when I find them. This is a great instrument and a wonderful tool. I pestered you for sfz support in v1 and I was excited to see it in v2 but sfz has been rendered pretty much irrelevant now. It's nice that I can load existing sfz stuff but all my instruments will be built and played in TX16Wx from now on.

elcallio wrote:Lately I've been a little less happy and motivated, what with all I hear is sfz this and sfz that...
It's handy for me that TX16Wx loads SF2 and SFZ because I've got quite a lot of them lying around unused on my HD and TX16Wx has given me a reason to start playing with them again. It's also nice to be able to use TX16Wx to build SFZ - not that this is my main use for it or that it's something I'm likely to do very often - it's just so much better than a text editor.

However, if TX16Wx couldn't do any of this stuff, I wouldn't be bothered much. It's a great sampler and I usually check in most days to see if there's a new beta drop - I'm sorry to hear that any talk of SFZ has had a negative impact on development.

TX16Wx is fabulous and just keeps getting better! Keep up the good work (and I promise I'll never mention SFZ ever again)! :)

I've made a silent update to the 2.1.0 b4 package, fixing the following:
  • Wrong outputs for FX busses
  • LFO/SEQ tempo sync not working as expected (esp. issue with using as trigger for matrix
  • Crash when building matrix
  • Send FX can now be chained (send FX to other FX)
Just re-download the 2.1.0 b4 package. Build date is today (2013-02-03)
Cheers
/C
TX16Wx Software Sampler:

Thanks Calle!

It's great to be able to chain FX slots but I found a new bug. If FX1 is sending to FX2 and I change FX2 output to None it crashes.

The Seq to Matrix thing is better but it feels like something is not quite right with the either the value scaling or the seq rate. I still can't get it to play all the matrix samples in sequence from bottom to top, even with equally spaced samples on the y axis. It's hard to gauge what sample a given seq step will trigger but with only eight targets it shouldn't be hard to get the values right, yet I can't do it.

Is there any chance you could add numeric values to the seq step bars? It would make working with the sequences much easier.

Wave matrix crash is fixed. :)

IXIX wrote:Thanks Calle!

It's great to be able to chain FX slots but I found a new bug. If FX1 is sending to FX2 and I change FX2 output to None it crashes.
Verified and fixed (doh). I've updated the build available.
IXIX wrote: The Seq to Matrix thing is better but it feels like something is not quite right with the either the value scaling or the seq rate. I still can't get it to play all the matrix samples in sequence from bottom to top, even with equally spaced samples on the y axis. It's hard to gauge what sample a given seq step will trigger but with only eight targets it shouldn't be hard to get the values right, yet I can't do it.
I'd say this is a matter of precision and different scales. The SEQ will output values in the range [-1, 1] (or actually [-amp,amp]). This in turn is morphed into a range 0-127 for the trigger, and then applied as a threshold. This makes matching LFO with matrix tricky. However, in your patricual test case I think the problem is actually the LFO position not being quite what you expect it to be. Remember that while the SEQ content might be "discrete" as such (in stepped mode anyway), the cycle itself is not. Thus the output values at each beat has not actually reached the threshold level you are hoping for.
I managed to get your example file to play as desired by simply setting the SEQ "pos" parameter to 0.99, which in effect adds some "anticipation" to the SEQ cycle, i.e the threshold value has time to catch up. Then I get the proper matrix cycle as well.

Cheers
/C
TX16Wx Software Sampler:

Return to “CWITEC”