Output management - give me your thoughts...

Official support for: tx16wx.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

So, I've been working on output management lately. One thing that has been requested is the ability to switch the mono outputs to stereo pairs instead.
This is done, and also works pretty well. You will have to ensure your DAW routing is updated to make this work properly of course, but internally at least this works as expected.

Now, one aspect of the old output management that I'm wondering about though is the "enable output" setting. In previous versions of TX16Wx, this flag does exactly one thing: it marks an output as inactive, and any voice that plays on that output just skips the dsp rendering.
Why this flag does not do more is because turning on/off output pins works with very varying results in most hosts. Reaper claims to accept increasing/decreasing the actual number of output pins of a plug-in, which in theory would enable removing/adding outputs dynamically. However, as I think about it; is this at all useful? The more I think about it, the more I feel that I should just remove this aspect, because:
  • It _will_ break some hosts
  • Having an output does not really cost anything unless you actually route it to something in the host/generate data on it in the instrument. Thus, if you don't need an output, simply don't use it. Problem solved.
  • Having outputs fully dynamic makes the internal code more complicated for very little return.
I'd like some feedback here, but from where I stand, I feel I should just remove the "enable/disable" thing and instead just keep the new mono/stereo switching.
Cheers
TX16Wx Software Sampler:
http://www.tx16wx.com/

I don't think there's any need for dynamically add/removing outputs. I've been happy so far with the 8S+8M setup and if I find I need more outputs than that, I can always add another TX16Wx anyway.

Do what you think is best.

No need for me either. On reflection, I cannot see how it would be useful, without being confusing.

Adding/removing outputs could easily trip up a host. And may cause the sounds routed to each host track or channel to be changed mid-flow. Aargh!

For consistency (with other samplers :)) I would like 32 output channels, configurable as stereo pairs or mono singles or a mix of the two.
DarkStar, ... Interesting, if true
Inspired by ...

Well i had my thoughts about switchable mono to stereo... So for me it would a nice 'improvement' 8)

Return to “CWITEC”