Fast Work Flow for Creating Samples

Official support for: tx16wx.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I am attempting to use TX16WX to create sample sets.

It will be both percussion and melodic instruments.

What is the simplest way to sample, for eg : 2 octaves worth of notes of my guitar ? The end result that is hoped for is a folder full of named note wav files that would require minimum fruther editing.

Also, for a percussion instrument eg : a few velocity layers and round robins for each component. The end result hoped for is the same as above but with naming refelcting the vel. layer and the rr number.

Any tips or help to acheive this with a fast and efficient work flow in TX16WX would be highly appreciated.

DAW is Reaper.

Thanks

TX16Wx is fairly clever when it comes to quickly building chromatic sample sets at least. Here's a small step-by-step:

1.) Create new program, and name it
2.) Create an empty group, give it a nice "base name", for example "Clean guitar"
3.) Select the group, Open the wave editor and the sampling panel.
4.) Enable "auto detect pitch" and "auto map samples", make sure that low/hi keys are set to good values.
5.) Either use threshold record or manual record of first sample, typically starting with the lowest note you want to sample. When you press stop, it will be auto mapped. Now, barring weird chromatics, this usually gives pretty good results.
6.) Repeat for all keys you wish to record. Samples should be named as the group + detected root key, and placed accordingly.
7.) Clean up samples, start, end, normalize etc etc.
8.) Save.
9.) Profit. ;-)

Sampling velocity layers is more difficult, and cannot really be done automatically as such. If its drums, it might be a quick method to just turn off auto mapping, sample a hit in increasing velocity, trim the samples, then just drag the resulting samples into a new matrix? (If you want to use a matrix). Then repeat for RR variations.
The auto naming will not really help you here though.
You can use dummy automapping to get a nicer automatic base name for the samples though.

Another approach is to use automapping, but no pitch detection, and sample _all_ samples in velocity layer 1 first, then create next group, sample all in layer 2, etc etc.

Also, I sort of noticed a small behaviour stupidity in the sampler right now. I'm building a hotfix version addressing a naming and undo thing, as I'm typing this. It will be available within a few minutes.

Edit: done.

/C
TX16Wx Software Sampler:
http://www.tx16wx.com/

Thank you for that quick and comprehensive reply !

Im gonna have some serious fun now :D

elcallio wrote: Here's a small step-by-step:
Thank you, very handy ! :D

Haha and i saw what was fixed ;)

Ok a couple of questions came up :

If I enable the "trigger recording if input exceeds threshold", where do I set this threshold value ?

Also, after setting up the above as required, if i press the record button, will the sampler stop/start recording and make seperate samples as a play chromatic notes, based on the silence in between ?

Threshold is set with the slider on the side of the input level meter. Tip: enable "listen" to get a feel for what level to set.
And, no, the recording will start when input level exceeds the threshold, but you still need to press the "record" button to stop it. Just like the original TX16Wx btw.

Cheers
/C
TX16Wx Software Sampler:

Does it record to RAM always?

Yes.
TX16Wx Software Sampler:

muslimpunk wrote:if i press the record button, will the sampler stop/start recording and make seperate samples as a play chromatic notes, based on the silence in between ?
I'd very much like to have this as an option. (with adjustable release time) 8)

Return to “CWITEC”