Login / Register  0 items | $0.00 New What is KVR? Submit News Advertise
elcallio
KVRian

1225 posts since 27 May, 2005, from Stockholm

Postby elcallio; Sun Jul 13, 2014 11:58 am New 2.4.0 release candidate

Hi all.

This version is taking a lot of time, partly due to the amount of feature requests constantly coming in. And of course because I cannot help addressing them. :wink:

But I've also lately been made aware of a lot of bugs in both 2.3 and earlier, as well as brand new ones in 2.4. So these had to be addressed as well. Which I hope I have. And with that said, here is a new build.

One big change in this latest build is that the load/save indicators now include the ability to abort the IO operation. Also, some annoying old UI flicker bugs should be fixed, as well as incompatibilities with bridged hosts.

For Suleiman who has been requesting a "search" option, the "missing file" dialog
on Win7/OSX (not XP) now include the ability to initiate a search for the missing file from the selected folder.

I also made the SF2 importer stereo wave joiner more restrictive so that it deals properly with badly formed sound fonts (I'm looking at you "splendid" piano).

Here is the full change list for 2.4.0 (so far):
  • OSX / Windows Vista / Windows 7 "missing file" dialog now includes a "search" option
  • Load/Save progress indicator now includes an "Abort" button
  • Added a "via" cross modulation parameter to modulation entries, allowing control of modulation strength by other modulator
  • Added selectable round-robin source for wave matrix / group switcher
  • Added "toggle" trigger mode
  • Added large UI skin
  • Added import of EXS format instruments
  • Added import of AKP format instruments
  • Added 6db low/high pass filter
  • Added Direct Midi CC as modulation source
  • Added support for VST2 micro tuning
  • Added optional support for bank select to address more than 128 programs via MIDI program change
  • Added optional program/performance number display in drop down selectors
  • Skins now handle CSS "import"
  • UI size is now constrained by minimum size of applied skin
  • UI skins loading time improved
  • Default skin + graphics are now delivered as external files as well as resources.
  • SFZ import now honours Midi CC trigger switch
  • Fixed issue where editing wave matrix source settings was applied to all objects, not just selected.
  • Fixed import of Soundfonts with non-symmetric/broken stereo pair definitions
  • Fixed CoreObject leaks and errors on OSX
  • Fixed COM leaks and errors on Windows
  • Fixed host not notified on performance change
  • Fixed crash when running in bridged mode in some hosts
Please take this for a test drive and let me know the results. I hope to stop adding features now (actually I hoped that quite a while ago), so please focus on possible bugs.

Happy sampling
TX16Wx Software Sampler:
http://www.tx16wx.com/
sinkmusic
KVRAF

5993 posts since 28 Apr, 2004, from france

Postby sinkmusic; Sun Jul 13, 2014 12:30 pm Re: New 2.4.0 release candidate

Wonderful !
Some very nice improvements in there, Thank you very much [wink]
some annoying old UI flicker bugs should be fixed,

Nice, I think i experienced that, from time to time. I will check.
IXIX
KVRist

163 posts since 7 Feb, 2007

Postby IXIX; Sun Jul 13, 2014 12:33 pm Re: New 2.4.0 release candidate

Thanks Calle! Sorry I'm not contributing much to the bug hunt lately. I'm not getting as much time to play as I would like. Stupid life keeps getting in the way.
IXIX
KVRist

Postby IXIX; Sat Jul 19, 2014 2:32 am Re: New 2.4.0 release candidate

Hi Calle. As usual, I got a couple of minutes to play and stumbled right into a bug. The "Layout slices" feature appears to be (slightly) broken. It (sometimes) doesn't seem to do anything anymore.

I dropped a drum loop onto the keyboard mapper, spread it over the whole keyboard then went into the wave editor, sliced it with the transient detection and selected layout slices from the context menu. Went back to the keyboard mapper and nothing had changed.

Also, after that failed, I used delete all slices and tried to slice it into equal parts but it did nothing. Slicing another sample into equal parts worked and after I had done that I could slice the original sample again.

Downloaded and installed rc7 just a few minutes ago.

edit: I see what happened. After "Delete all slices" is used, the slice button remains pressed and won't let you press the other slice button.

edit again: "Layout slices" isn't fully broken but still doesn't work in the steps I described above.
IXIX
KVRist

Postby IXIX; Sat Jul 19, 2014 2:46 am Re: New 2.4.0 release candidate

Okay I figured out what's happening with "Layout slices", it doesn't work if the keys where the slices would go aren't empty. I'm not sure if that's a bug or not but it seems odd since you can overlap groups freely by hand.
IXIX
KVRist

Postby IXIX; Sat Jul 19, 2014 11:44 am Re: New 2.4.0 release candidate

Got this trying to load a project...

...and then none of the content loads.
elcallio
KVRian

Postby elcallio; Sun Jul 20, 2014 1:47 am Re: New 2.4.0 release candidate

The XSD issue is a real bug. I've uploaded a fixed build.

The slice workflow is by design: When you do layout slices, the algo looks at the range [lo - lo+#slices] and _iff_ there is a group covering the upper end of this range, it will bail, by the reasoning that you already laid something out there. Which you did. And with slices, you don't want overlaps.
If however, lets say the range [lo-10 - lo+N (n < #slices)] was covered, i.e. a range in the lower part of the designated range, the algo will just transpose the group by an octave and try again. Reasoning that you did lay stuff out, but want more. And that like all sane mapping artists you work from lo to hi notes.

I will concede that maybe the also should ask/notify what is happening to make it a little more clear.
TX16Wx Software Sampler:
elcallio
KVRian

Postby elcallio; Sun Jul 20, 2014 1:52 am Re: New 2.4.0 release candidate

IXIX wrote:Okay I figured out what's happening with "Layout slices", it doesn't work if the keys where the slices would go aren't empty. I'm not sure if that's a bug or not but it seems odd since you can overlap groups freely by hand.

Actually, if you, let's say, dial the #slices to 12, hit "slice evenly", do a "layout" and then a "delete slices", the slices will be both removed and deleted, _but_ until you turn off the "slice evenly" button you are still in slicing mode and can for example dial the #slices to 13, and presto, there will now be 13 new slices. Also, I hope you noticed that if you do even slice + layout, you can adjust the #slices afterwards and the layout will update in real time. Same with transient slicing.

Basically, slicing enters a "mode", and will not exit it until told so, and no edit short of deleting the wave will turn it off. Its a feature.
TX16Wx Software Sampler:
IXIX
KVRist

Postby IXIX; Sun Jul 20, 2014 2:33 am Re: New 2.4.0 release candidate

Thanks Calle. Sorry for the noise, I get it now. I probably need to re-read the manual...
IXIX
KVRist

Postby IXIX; Sun Jul 20, 2014 2:57 am Re: New 2.4.0 release candidate

Still getting this error with the new build...

IXIX wrote:Got this trying to load a project...

...and then none of the content loads.
IXIX
KVRist

Postby IXIX; Sun Jul 20, 2014 3:10 am Re: New 2.4.0 release candidate

elcallio
KVRian

Postby elcallio; Sun Jul 20, 2014 5:56 am Re: New 2.4.0 release candidate

Actually, I've already updated the builds with the fix. (No version change)
TX16Wx Software Sampler:
IXIX
KVRist

Postby IXIX; Sun Jul 20, 2014 6:53 am Re: New 2.4.0 release candidate

elcallio wrote:Actually, I've already updated the builds with the fix. (No version change)

Still happening :(
elcallio
KVRian

Postby elcallio; Sun Jul 20, 2014 7:34 am Re: New 2.4.0 release candidate

Actually, loading your project, I get a different, much more weird error. It looks like you managed to save a performance with a program that does not exist (not in the bank) assigned to a slot.
Do you have a the file used to create the file you sent? I'm wondering if I can repro it through that...
(Also, please attach the samples when you send a project with a plethora of them, since otherwise I am sitting forever clicking dummys into the loaded sets).
TX16Wx Software Sampler:
IXIX
KVRist

Postby IXIX; Sun Jul 20, 2014 7:52 am Re: New 2.4.0 release candidate

elcallio wrote:Actually, loading your project, I get a different, much more weird error. It looks like you managed to save a performance with a program that does not exist (not in the bank) assigned to a slot.
Do you have a the file used to create the file you sent? I'm wondering if I can repro it through that...
(Also, please attach the samples when you send a project with a plethora of them, since otherwise I am sitting forever clicking dummys into the loaded sets).

Okay, but I can't supply the samples. I use places and since the content doesn't load, I don't know what samples to send. :(

Here's the original project. All I did was trim out the other FX and tracks though, so you'll get a bunch of missing FX warnings to click through too...

edit: I might be able to roll back to an earlier version of TX16Wx to try to load it and figure out what samples are used...
Next

Moderator: elcallio

Return to CWITEC