Key switching for articulations?

Official support for: tx16wx.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Is there a way to set up key switching for changing active groups? I've looked through the manual a handful of times and haven't been able to find anything like that (if its there, I really must have missed something.) The closest I've seen for having regular instruments with articulations is to either map a CC range to it (which works, though you can't name CC ranges in Reaper) or have a note held down the entire time. What I want to set up is where the keyswitch is pressed once and the appropriate setup happens, as is apparently normal in sampled instruments.

I think that "Group Switching" will do what you want', but I've not used it myself. User Manual 6.2. it is only available in the Pro version.

Set the Source to "Key" and the Range to the note number.

-------------------------------------------------------
Edit: Nope - I must be doing it wrong. I can get group switching to work for Mod Wheel, for example.
DarkStar, ... Interesting, if true
Inspired by ...

Skrylar wrote:Is there a way to set up key switching for changing active groups? I've looked through the manual a handful of times and haven't been able to find anything like that (if its there, I really must have missed something.) The closest I've seen for having regular instruments with articulations is to either map a CC range to it (which works, though you can't name CC ranges in Reaper) or have a note held down the entire time. What I want to set up is where the keyswitch is pressed once and the appropriate setup happens, as is apparently normal in sampled instruments.

For your case:
  • Select the groups you want to switch between.
  • Enable key switcher (doing so with all groups selected will create one for each. And you can edit common parameters at once)
  • Assign a keyboard range as "switching area" by setting key lo/hi to that range. You will need as many keys as you want switches
  • Now, for each groups (or group of groups), selected them and set the "key last" to a different key in the lo/hi range.
Now the switched groups will trigger depending on the last key you pressed in the lo/hi range. (Make sure to press one, once).

The same procedure can be used, but with down/up as well, forcing you to hold/not hold a key to trigger the group, etc.

TX16Wx Software Sampler:
http://www.tx16wx.com/

Got it ... where I went wrong was selecting Key as the "Source".

Here I have 3 articulations, so I set the Lo/Hi range to F1 ... G1 and set the Last key to F1 / F#1 / G1 respectively for each one.

Calle - it would be very handy if a key-switching example (and a few others) could be added to the User Guide. :)
Inspired by ...

and for round-robin:

Use "seq/r" - the first is the position and the second is the length of the cycle; so this selected group would be active on the first position of a cycle of three.
Inspired by ...

elcallio wrote: For your case:
  • Select the groups you want to switch between.
  • Enable key switcher (doing so with all groups selected will create one for each. And you can edit common parameters at once)
  • Assign a keyboard range as "switching area" by setting key lo/hi to that range. You will need as many keys as you want switches
  • Now, for each groups (or group of groups), selected them and set the "key last" to a different key in the lo/hi range.
Now the switched groups will trigger depending on the last key you pressed in the lo/hi range. (Make sure to press one, once).

The same procedure can be used, but with down/up as well, forcing you to hold/not hold a key to trigger the group, etc. 
Awesome. I think where I had trouble with this is that the manual isn't quite clear that the key range applies to the trigger condition, instead of the group itself. To me it reads as though it is restricting the triggering of a group to the range of keys that are specified in that group, even though the groups should already be key restricted based on their locations.

And here it is in action:

Image ... http://i.imgur.com/u11nipq.gif (animated gif)

On the piano keyboard, you can see the key switches (F1 and G1) being received. And I set each group to a different output pair of channels so you can see the audio in the meters.
Inspired by ...

Return to “CWITEC”