TX16Wx and Expression (CC#11)

Official support for: tx16wx.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm setting up a simplistic(ish) orchestral project using TX, and I just realized that it doesn't respond to Expression by default. Is there anyone who might be able to clue me in on how to make it so? I know I can choose CC#11 as a source in the Mod Table but what could I possibly map it to? Volume? What if a patch has two layers with different volumes? And moreover, Expression isn't Volume, it's like a percentage of volume.

Any help with this would be highly appreciated.

Map it to AMP. AMP == Initial attenuation, or in fact amplitude envelope magnitude, i.e. percentage of volume.
TX16Wx Software Sampler:
http://www.tx16wx.com/

Aah, I see! Big thanks for the help :)

I've been meaning to get back to you about this issue, but I've been busy with other stuff for a couple of months so I haven't been working on this project.

Anyway, from what I can tell, this isn't working as expected. There is of course a high probability that I'm doing something wrong, so let me explain what's happening here.

If I set the Mod Source to "Expression" and Destination to "AEG Amp", I can only get it to work with negative Modulation Strength. Meaning at -1.00 the patch does respond to CC#11 messages, but the data is inverted i.e. a value of 0 will yield full volume and vice versa. At +1.00 though, nothing happens whatsoever.

Like this:

Expression -> AEG Amp -1.00 = inverted Expression curves
Expression -> AEG Amp +1.00 = nothing

Does anyone have any idea what might be the problem here?

Not sure, but I am getting some non-intuitive results here

Like you, positive Mod Amounts for CC# (not just CC#11) >> AEG Amp have no effect.

I tried the Pan destination too - this only moves the sound from its native position to one side or another - imo, a source CC data value of 64 should mean do not change the Pan position, lower values - move left, higher value mean move right.
DarkStar, ... Interesting, if true
Inspired by ...

DarkStar wrote:I tried the Pan destination too - this only moves the sound from its native position to one side or another - imo, a source CC data value of 64 should mean do not change the Pan position, lower values - move left, higher value mean move right.
Confirmed. Something weird's going on with pan too.

No, you are both confusing _modulation_ with _control_. A modulation setup does not _set_ the value, it _changes_ it. If it _controlled_ the value, you could never have two modulators affecting the same value.
If you want expression to set AMP, set AMP to zero, then map MIDI CC -> AMP 100%. Voila.
TX16Wx Software Sampler:
http://www.tx16wx.com/

Guilty - I was confused. :oops:

SQOTD2: Which control on the GUI is "AEG Amp"?
Inspired by ...

elcallio wrote:No, you are both confusing _modulation_ with _control_. A modulation setup does not _set_ the value, it _changes_ it. If it _controlled_ the value, you could never have two modulators affecting the same value.
If you want expression to set AMP, set AMP to zero, then map MIDI CC -> AMP 100%. Voila.
So are you saying I shouldn't be using the mod table at all?

If so, then how would I go about mapping CC#11 to amp?

Feeling kind of dense right now...

"AEG Amp" is the AEG amount. As far as I can see it is not displayed on the GUI. And is is just named "Amp" in the User Guide (the first Destination in 6.4.10).

From my investigations and diagnosis here:
http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 3&t=450228
I reckon that it has a default value of 1.00.

Now, an entry can be made in the Modulation Table:
Expression (or another CC#) >> AEG Amp, with a modulation value of -1. So the range of the AEG Amp control will be from 1 to (1-1 = ) 0, depending on the MIDI CC message data value.

It might by calculated as: AEG Amp = 1 + (-1 * CC_value/127). The higher the CC data value the lower the amplitude (yes, that's slightly counter-intuitive).

Here is the result I get:
Inspired by ...

Return to “CWITEC”