Q: Quick way to build a round-robin set?

Official support for: tx16wx.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Is there a quick way?

I dragged 8 samples onto the Keyboard Mapper. Then:
  • (a) converted the Splits into Groups,
    (b) dragged all the groups onto the same key (the lowest one in the Group)
    (c) selected them all,
    (d) enabled [Switch]
    (e) set [Enable] and set seq/r (the second column) to 8,
    (f) selected each Group separately and set seq/r (the first column) to 1 to 8 respectively.
Phew!

----------------------------------------------
FR: Wouldn't this be handy?
(i) drag 8 samples onto the Keyboard Mapper.
(ii) right-click and select "Create round-robin".

Job done; essentially steps (b) to (f) above are automated.
DarkStar, ... Interesting, if true
Inspired by ...

Wave matrix baby. :)

1. New matrix
2. Drop samples to left of or below matrix
3. Assign matrix to a group
(4. Save matrix for future use!)

I've not used the Matrix yet ;) (or will it use me?)

Looks a bit quicker, but I bet you'd like a right-click operation too.
Inspired by ...

Nah, matrix is super quick and super powerful. Dive in and have fun. :)

OK, I can see that it can be very powerful / flexible, but it takes a few more steps
(a) create a new matrix
(b) create the number of cells by Alt_clicking the axes repeatedly
(c) make the cells of regular size, using the Distribute operation
(d) drag a sample into each cell
(e) set the X and Y to "Random"
(f) drag the matrix name onto the Keyboard Mapper tab, thence to the Keyboard Mapper grid, to map the Group

Just for info, here's one that I made using "vel" on the Y-axis so that the sound is picked randomly from one of two sets of sounds depending on the velocity:

Image >>> http://i.imgur.com/DuARPNF.gif

(playing the same note repeatedly, a series of low-veloctiy notes followed by a series of high-velocity notes.)
Inspired by ...

Great!

Here's a couple of FRs you can now add your voice to ;)

- Random robin in matrices (never repeat the previous cell played)

- "Empty/skip" cells that you can use in layers that don't have an equal amount of samples to other layers.
  • Example: you have a 4x4 matrix of drum samples, where Y is velocity. Other velocity layers have 4 samples, but the highest velocity only has 3. Set one of the top layer cells to "empty/skip" to have the round robin cycle between the three available samples.

^^^
Put the same sample into the top 2 cells? (I haven't explored how velocity affects the sound within a cell)

Also, imo, a true "random" can select the same cell so "all" we need is an additional choice, named, perhaps "Random (Excl)". I cannot find the correct mathematical term for such a random selection.
Inspired by ...

Drop a bunch of samples on the axes and see what happens ;)

The default modulation is sequential so yeah, if you want random that's another step but it's still fast.

Yep, that's better - I did not read those 2 lines in the User Guide ;)
Inspired by ...

It's not a very obvious workflow (and I think the axes are the wrong way round as drop targets but that's just me.)

It would be better if you could drop a bunch of samples onto an empty matrix and a dialog popped up to ask what to do with them. It would be even better if you didn't have to manually make a new matrix first. Ideally you could just drop samples onto the empty matrix panel or the matrix list and TX16Wx would automatically create a new matrix and ask how to map the samples.

DarkStar wrote:I cannot find the correct mathematical term for such a random selection.
Fisher-Yates shuffle. :)

^^^^
Not quite (unless that is what is really wanted).

FYS picks a random number from a set of numbers, then removes that picked number from the set of available numbers, picks another, removes it and so on until all the numbers have been picked. Then (here) it starts again. So we would get a random permutation of the set of numbers each time. Over a period of complete cycles, each sample would be selected the same number of times.

What was asked for, I thought, was just leaving the last-picked number out of the set of available numbers. So if there were 5 samples, the sequence could be 1, 3, 2, 1, 4, 3, 5, 4, 1, 2, 1, 2 etc

Perhaps there is a halfway-house? For a set of N numbers, exclude the last floor(N/2) numbers from the set of available numbers. That way, in my example of 5 samples, any particular sample could only be selected after 2 others have been selected.
Inspired by ...

Yes, that's random non-repeating round robin. Best kind of RR since what you're requesting can end up in repeating patterns (like in your example), which is really not as nice. :)

Calle and the nag team are awesome !

I honestly haven't used a faster manual velocity / round robin creator than tx16wx, without scripts.
With basic scripts or bulk text edits, its actually even faster especially if the samples follow a similar naming convention and structure.

Im honestly amazed at the ignorance of a lot of (supposed to be well informed) people who should be using this ALL THE TIME.

IXIX wrote:Wave matrix baby. :)

1. New matrix
2. Drop samples to left of or below matrix
3. Assign matrix to a group
(4. Save matrix for future use!)
This does NOT WORK!!!
1... How do I simply "New Matrix"??? The matrix window does nothing.
2. Drop samples on the matrix DOES NOTHING!!!
3. How do I assign a matrix to anything??? There's nothing on the matrix screen?

Cheers... V.

Return to “CWITEC”