Login / Register  0 items | $0.00 NewWhat is KVR? Submit News Advertise
damo44
KVRer

14 posts since 26 Jul, 2015

Postby damo44; Mon Nov 09, 2015 8:23 am Strange text in TX16Wx Assign Program dropdown [SOLVED]

Hi

I've recently started using TX16Wx in REAPER 5.04/x64on a Toshiba M50 laptop running Windows 10. I;m also using the Sonatina orchestral samples from http://sso.mattiaswestlund.net

The text in the Assign Program drop down is corrupted, showing a weird font - see attachment. So selecting the correct voice is guesswork. (It works fine on a desktop PC I have running Win 8.1)

I don't see a setting within TX16Wx to select an alternative font. Can anyone help me with this please.

Thx
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by damo44 on Thu Nov 19, 2015 5:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
DarkStar
KVRAF

7902 posts since 2 Sep, 2003, from Surrey, UK

Postby DarkStar; Mon Nov 09, 2015 8:56 am Re: Strange text in TX16Wx Assign Program dropdown

I think that the fonts are all defined in the skin file (default.skin in C:\Program Files\CWI Tec\TX16Wx\skins here). You could try making a copy and editing the copy.

I saw Tahoma, SegoE UI and Lucida Sans being used.
DarkStar
Interesting, if true ...
damo44
KVRer

Postby damo44; Mon Nov 09, 2015 9:16 am Re: Strange text in TX16Wx Assign Program dropdown

thx, I'll have a play with the skin file later this evening...
damo44
KVRer

Postby damo44; Tue Nov 10, 2015 2:49 am Re: Strange text in TX16Wx Assign Program dropdown

I've not been able to fix it.

I've edited the default skin file, and while I've been able to influence the appearance of many things, the font in the Program Slots isn't one of them.
DarkStar
KVRAF

7902 posts since 2 Sep, 2003, from Surrey, UK

Postby DarkStar; Tue Nov 10, 2015 2:53 am Re: Strange text in TX16Wx Assign Program dropdown

One for Calle, then.

But meanwhile, if you like hard work, perhaps compare the fonts on the two systems? You might be able to find which ones are missing and download them.
DarkStar
Interesting, if true ...
elcallio
KVRian

1245 posts since 27 May, 2005, from Stockholm

Postby elcallio; Tue Nov 10, 2015 4:27 am Re: Strange text in TX16Wx Assign Program dropdown

The text in an exapnded combo box, such as above, is not really drawn by TX16Wx or the skin per sé. It is a temporary, embedded, windows control, initialized with a HFONT more-or-less-equivalent of the assigned font. (Which will be sort of up to the system to decide...)
This is why the unexpanded combo box renders as it should. As to why this happens to you, I am quite baffled. Does text edit fields (such as group names etc) work? Other combo pickers?
It looks like the HFONT replacement would have ended up with a symbol font, but how that could happen I have no idea.
Any more details on the system? Language, service pack level etc?
TX16Wx Software Sampler:
http://www.tx16wx.com/
damo44
KVRer

Postby damo44; Tue Nov 10, 2015 5:13 am Re: Strange text in TX16Wx Assign Program dropdown

Hi, actually this is happening in other parts of TX16Wx, e.g. other combo boxes, or editing the envelope attack etc.
TX.png
Although I didn't notice this until now, because I hadn't used those features yet.

Other apps seem to behave normally. I don't have a big range of apps that use combo boxes to choose from but the FX selector in REAPER looks OK.
reaper.png

As for the system. It was upgraded from Win 8.1 to 10 a few weeks ago, previous files/settings were not retained. All "recommended" updates have been applied. Language is English (United Kingdom).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
elcallio
KVRian

Postby elcallio; Tue Nov 10, 2015 5:45 am Re: Strange text in TX16Wx Assign Program dropdown

Uhm, if that screen shot from reaper isn't mangled somehow, I'd say there is something very wrong with those fonts as well. Look at the poor widgets, the letters are unevenly spaces, lines are mismatched, and also notice that line height does not match widget sizes.
How does other apps look? Also, can you run TX16Wx in some other host and see if the problem exists there as well? The reason I ask this that even though TX16Wx explicitly asks for a specific version of things like windows common controls DLL, in some cases the host app can circumvent this (curse of being a plug-in). Otoh, this is a fairly new reaper, so this should not be an issue, but...
TX16Wx Software Sampler:
damo44
KVRer

Postby damo44; Tue Nov 10, 2015 5:57 am Re: Strange text in TX16Wx Assign Program dropdown

Actually, I think MS Paint mangled the pic trying to save as a PNG, here it is again as a jpeg and it looks ok.

As for running TX16Wx in another host, Reaper is the only DAW I've ever used, so I'll need to search for another DAW which I can download for free to try this.
damo44
KVRer

Postby damo44; Tue Nov 10, 2015 2:50 pm Re: Strange text in TX16Wx Assign Program dropdown

damo44 wrote: I'll need to search for another DAW which I can download for free to try this.

It's not Reaper specific, attached is a screenshot from Ableton Live Trial. So I suppose it's my laptop that's at fault, unless it's something that other Windows 10 users (are there any of you out there?) have experienced.
damo44
KVRer

Postby damo44; Sat Nov 14, 2015 1:36 pm Re: Strange text in TX16Wx Assign Program dropdown

UPDATE!..,. Microsoft issued a major update to Windows 10 a couple of days ago, which has been delivered to my laptop today. I have installed it (ver 1511 build 10586 I think)a few hours ago.

It seems to be more than a service pack as it went through the whole lengthy Win 10 upgrade process , just like it did from Win 7 or Win 8.1

Anyway the good news is that something in that upgrade has fixed my problem with TX16Wx. I have no idea what Microsoft have done, but I can now read all the options in the combo boxes and edit fields.
alcorhythm
KVRer

1 post since 12 Sep, 2016

Postby alcorhythm; Mon Sep 12, 2016 10:27 am Re: Strange text in TX16Wx Assign Program dropdown [SOLVED]

It seems that with the Windows 10 anniversary update of August 2016 this problem is reintroduced. All editable text fields and drop down boxes in the interface (2.4.1b) show corrupted text, whereas before the update everything was fine.
elcallio
KVRian

Postby elcallio; Mon Sep 19, 2016 10:55 pm Re: Strange text in TX16Wx Assign Program dropdown [SOLVED]

Dammit? It happens if fonts are somehow mangled so that GDI interop resolution of d2d font is messed up, and you get something with a different glyph table (in this case some dingbats junk).
I actually had this happen once. But it resolved itself after a reboot, which apparently was enough to trigger a font cache rebuild. I can try to figure this out, but I'm not sure how.
Good news is that this will never be an issue in v3 at least, since it uses wholly different rendering of input widgets (no gdi).
TX16Wx Software Sampler:
oGatoulas
KVRer

3 posts since 17 Mar, 2017

Postby oGatoulas; Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:41 am Re: Strange text in TX16Wx Assign Program dropdown [SOLVED]

I am facing the same problem! And the same font, which is Wingdings!
oGatoulas
KVRer

3 posts since 17 Mar, 2017

Postby oGatoulas; Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:57 am Re: Strange text in TX16Wx Assign Program dropdown [SOLVED]

Aaaaand... I just solved it! Using this guy's solution:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-YvRa2u58nI

It worked for me, running windows 10 & Reaper.

Moderator: elcallio

Return to CWITEC