VSTi can only find default skin

Official support for: tx16wx.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello, I installed the sampler, plus the skins, but I put the skins directory in a subdirectory of the vst folder. TX16Wx doesn't seem to be able to find them now.

I tried running the msi again to repair or remove, but this doesn't repair or remove the installation. I am using Wine under Linux, so I don't know if this is complicating things.

Anyway, I need to know where the skins are supposed to go in order to be findable by the VST. Thanks.

Perhaps try an Uninstall from Control Panel / Programs and Features?

On Windows 7, my own are in:
C:\Users\DarkStar\AppData\Local\TX16Wx\skins

The install puts the default set in (your install folder will be different):
C:\Program Files\CWI Tec\TX16Wx\skins
DarkStar, ... Interesting, if true
Inspired by ...

Thanks for the reply. I put the folder in three places. These are in Wine's virtual HD (/home/myuser/.wine/drive_c):

C:\Program Files\CWI Tec\TX16Wx\skins
C:\Program Files (x86)\CWI Tec\TX16Wx\skins
C:\users\myuser\AppData\Local\TX16Wx\skins

And yet, when I load TX16Wx, and go to settings, the only skin available is still default.skin.

My DAW is portable, which is my preference, but it sounds like TX16Wx might make the whole thing non-portable, if I want to keep a custom skin. I don't even care about REX support, but I have a high-density screen so I really want to try out the large skin, as the normal one is barely legible for me.

Thanks for your help.

1. Linux Wine is by no means supported. Just for the record.
  2. Darkstars reply is not 100% complete. TX16Wx looks for stuff in these locations:
    1. "Install folder", i.e. the place where docs, skins etc was put by the installer. This is found through the registry path [HKLM/HKCU]/Software/CWITEC/TX16Wx Software Sampler/InstallDir.
    2. "Appdir", which is <Local Appdata>\TX16Wx. While not officially supported, the appdir can be "portable", by placing a "settings.ini" file either next to, or in a subfolder to the DLL location. You can place custom skins in a "skins" subfolder or the appdir.
    In any case, an important point is that the paths stated by DS are most likely not valid for Wine. I'd guess they use XP-style locations. Consult the Wine docs. As for why the vanilla install did not pick up the install dir I don't know.
TX16Wx Software Sampler:
http://www.tx16wx.com/

elcallio, thanks for the reply. I simply put an empty settings.ini folder in the same directory as the dll, and it became portable! Perfect!

One more question, since we're on the topic of skins: Is there a good place to find extra custom skins? Since it's skinnable, I'm sure people have already made cool skins for it.

Return to “CWITEC”