Bugs And Observations

Official support for: tx16wx.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi,

I have downloaded the latest version only yesterday and not done a lot with it yet. (Just loaded 4 or 5 samples and checked around a bit to see whats there and how it works.) So ive not done any deep-checking yet, anyway, there are a few things that id noticed that i wanted to bring to your attention. Heres what i have so far, the links will give you a visual illustration:

- Version number shown where plugin name should be (click to view image)

- Sync option (Normal/Tempo) of LFO 1/2 is showing the 'LFO wave-type' tooltip

- Sync option (Normal/Tempo) of SEQ 1/2/3 is showing the 'LFO wave-type' tooltip (click to view animation)

- Setup/Settings: Missing 'n' in line 18 (presumably meant to be 'in')

- Setup/Settings: Typo in 'numbers' in line 26 (numbders) (click to view animation)

- GFX glitches on the little white dots when the Start/End/Loop bars are being dragged (click to view animation)

- Rightclicking certain areas of KeyboardMapper/WaveEditor brings up ModMatrix tooltips (click to view animation)

Observations

Single-Click Name Editing
Clicking a group to highlight it also automatically activates the name-editing field if the bar is clicked in the group-name area. Now since a groups name is basically the most 'natural' spot to click on if you want to highlight the bar of a particular group, i think it would be better to open the name-edit field only when the name is doubleclicked, (i.e. like the other keyboard-editable fields), since naming is usually something that you do only once and then leave it alone anyway. It could be made an option/preference in case some people actually prefer the single-click behavior. Same for the sample-name fields in the Wave Editor.

Value Editable Persistence
When you doubleclick a keyboard-editable value field, the value text gets highlighted and the field becomes editable. (Expected behavior.) However, when you then click into an empty area of the UI, only the value text is un-highlighted. The field itself however remains in editable-mode, thus unresponsive to mousewheel or dragging. The only way right now to 'snap out of it' is to click on some other control-item, (another field, a button, etc.), but not by simply clicking on an empty spot on the UI, which would be the expected behavior.

Coarse ModMatrix Amounts
Value adjustment for Filter Frequency is rather coarse, only 10 steps between 0Hz and full. (I.e. 20000Hz.) Even with SHIFT held it is still going in 200+ Hertz steps. Goes for both dragging and mousewheel.

Root Notes
How does the sampler determine what rootnote it sets for a particular sample? Im asking because they almost seem to be set randomly, often many notes away from the note onto which the sample was actually dragged.

With that out of the way, i have to say i am very impressed with the TX16w. I particularly like the preview features that allow for auditing samples right in/from the browser, and also the fact that you can save the samples into the presets. As far as i can see (and i havent even seen it all yet) the TX16w is everything i could ever need (im not a sampler guy so i dont need a ton of exotic functions), so thanks for all your work, and if you want me to test/check anything specific just let me know.

Since there hasnt been a reply in several days i will now stop monitoring this forum for a response.

If i should check back send a PM because i am not getting notifications for thread-replies.

Hope i could help.

ENV1 wrote:- Setup/Settings: Typo in 'numbers' in line 26 (numbders) (click to view animation)
Confirmed.

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 3&t=420127 :)

FIXED
Last edited by Dandruff on Tue May 10, 2016 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ENV1 wrote:Hi,

I have downloaded the latest version only yesterday and not done a lot with it yet. (Just loaded 4 or 5 samples and checked around a bit to see whats there and how it works.) So ive not done any deep-checking yet, anyway, there are a few things that id noticed that i wanted to bring to your attention. Heres what i have so far, the links will give you a visual illustration:

- Version number shown where plugin name should be (click to view image)
I don't think that is really TX:s fault...
- Sync option (Normal/Tempo) of LFO 1/2 is showing the 'LFO wave-type' tooltip

- Sync option (Normal/Tempo) of SEQ 1/2/3 is showing the 'LFO wave-type' tooltip (click to view animation)

- Setup/Settings: Missing 'n' in line 18 (presumably meant to be 'in')

- Setup/Settings: Typo in 'numbers' in line 26 (numbders) (click to view animation)
While I should really feel bad about typos, they are otoh not very performance critical. :-)
Thanks for pointing them out though. Eventually I will remember to deal with them.
- GFX glitches on the little white dots when the Start/End/Loop bars are being dragged (click to view animation)
Are you running XP? It looks like a GDI+ issue (though obviously a bug).
- Rightclicking certain areas of KeyboardMapper/WaveEditor brings up ModMatrix tooltips (click to view animation)
Hm. Cannot repro... Again, which OS version are you running?

Observations

Single-Click Name Editing
Clicking a group to highlight it also automatically activates the name-editing field if the bar is clicked in the group-name area. Now since a groups name is basically the most 'natural' spot to click on if you want to highlight the bar of a particular group, i think it would be better to open the name-edit field only when the name is doubleclicked, (i.e. like the other keyboard-editable fields), since naming is usually something that you do only once and then leave it alone anyway. It could be made an option/preference in case some people actually prefer the single-click behavior. Same for the sample-name fields in the Wave Editor.
Noted, but will probably not get changed until 3 series. (Since click editing was if I remember correctly also a request...)
Value Editable Persistence
When you doubleclick a keyboard-editable value field, the value text gets highlighted and the field becomes editable. (Expected behavior.) However, when you then click into an empty area of the UI, only the value text is un-highlighted. The field itself however remains in editable-mode, thus unresponsive to mousewheel or dragging. The only way right now to 'snap out of it' is to click on some other control-item, (another field, a button, etc.), but not by simply clicking on an empty spot on the UI, which would be the expected behavior.
Its a very annoying limitation of VSTGUI, that has hung with us into CWUi (the UI system TX is built on is a fork).
This is fixed in the 3 series, which has a radically changed UI system.
Coarse ModMatrix Amounts
Value adjustment for Filter Frequency is rather coarse, only 10 steps between 0Hz and full. (I.e. 20000Hz.) Even with SHIFT held it is still going in 200+ Hertz steps. Goes for both dragging and mousewheel.
Best workaround tip is to double click and write the value. Multi-type editing is tricky. Again, in v3 this will work completely differently.
Root Notes
How does the sampler determine what rootnote it sets for a particular sample? Im asking because they almost seem to be set randomly, often many notes away from the note onto which the sample was actually dragged.
Roots are default set to whatever is in the wave file (meta data). Which key you drag it to has no impact whatsoever.

With that out of the way, i have to say i am very impressed with the TX16w. I particularly like the preview features that allow for auditing samples right in/from the browser, and also the fact that you can save the samples into the presets. As far as i can see (and i havent even seen it all yet) the TX16w is everything i could ever need (im not a sampler guy so i dont need a ton of exotic functions), so thanks for all your work, and if you want me to test/check anything specific just let me know.
Thank you. Your input is appreciated, though I doubt much of it will be addressed super soon.
Cheers
TX16Wx Software Sampler:
http://www.tx16wx.com/

Just checked the images again, it looks like you are running Win7. In that case, the artifacts are more strange...
TX16Wx Software Sampler:

elcallio wrote:- Version number shown where plugin name should be (click to view image)
I don't think that is really TX:s fault...[/quote]

Actually I think it is... other plugins report just their name in this field, not version. At least the majority of plugins that I have here... Some report both the name and version (u-he).

Ok, let me rephrase that: It is a difference of opinion on what VST opcode effGetProductString should result in. Now, I must admit that looking at the name of it would indeed support the case for having it return more of a name. But I would bet I had some reason for it returning the version string... Hm.
Wonder what will break if I change it? :-P
TX16Wx Software Sampler:

Indeed, what would break? I assume as long as VST ID stays the same, nothing?

But again looks like something to decide upon for v3 then :)

Meh, who dares wins. My guess is that some host that I "like" at some point displayed plugin info such that the plug-in name got duplicated if effGetProductString contained this to.
I think I managed to locate all the above issues also btw, mea culpa. Small, funny things... I'll upload a new build later tonight.
TX16Wx Software Sampler:

OS Win7/32

Let me know if you want me to check/try/test anything specific.

PS: I cannot repro the rightclick->tooltip issue today either. Would seem that it only occurs under certain conditions, i.e. it might be dependent on something that has to have been done before. Will let you know if/when i find out what triggers this.

I actually found it. Its a somewhat unintuitive aspect of windows menu tracking + messages wrong coordinate system (screen coordinates) that confuse the tool tip tracker. So it is dependent on both window position and where in the UI you click.
I've fixed this, plus the typos etc (including manual), and the line drawing. Build are silently updated (no version number change, since these are all non-critical issues).
TX16Wx Software Sampler:

Ah. Very good then.

I just did some more testing and finally could repro it again too, but this time i was getting a different kind of popups (animation) than last time, so i was afraid it was going to be difficult to track down...

BTW, thanks for explaining that rootnote thing too. I was asking because i have a set of M1 Drums here (the House Kit), and i always thought these samples do not have a root note embedded, (i made them myself), so i was wondering how the sampler handles the rootnote assignment in such a case. (Or maybe they have a rootnote set after all.)

Cheers, looking forward to the new build.

Return to “CWITEC”