Login / Register  0 items | $0.00 NewWhat is KVR? Submit News Advertise
fedelien
KVRer

7 posts since 5 Dec, 2016

Postby fedelien; Mon Dec 05, 2016 6:46 am Is it possible to adjust the split volume?

Maybe I'm missing something but I would like to know if there is a very important parameter missing, the possibility to adjust the volume (db) of each Split inside a Group.

Thank you.
DarkStar
KVRAF

7926 posts since 2 Sep, 2003, from Surrey, UK

Postby DarkStar; Mon Dec 05, 2016 7:12 am Re: Is it possible to adjust the split volume?

Not for a Split, but you can adjust the level of a sample using Boost / Dampen in the Sample Editor - set the valuem then click the button. Have a look at 7.5.1.5 in the User Guide.
Last edited by DarkStar on Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
DarkStar
Interesting, if true ...
fedelien
KVRer

Postby fedelien; Mon Dec 05, 2016 8:02 am Re: Is it possible to adjust the split volume?

Thank you for your answer, unfortunately this is not what I'm looking for, what you suggest seems to be a destructive editing, the parameter I'm referring should be in Keyboard mapper tab.
How it is possible to level a group, when you normalize several samples not all sample have the save RMS, so you need to lower and rise volume to level them in a non destructive way. I hope you can understand me.
elcallio
KVRian

1254 posts since 27 May, 2005, from Stockholm

Postby elcallio; Mon Dec 05, 2016 8:15 am Re: Is it possible to adjust the split volume?

If you really need to have different volume for the different splits/samples, just break up the group into several. (Group menu).

As for philosophy, in general, I'd say multi samples should be normalized as a unit, not individually, esp. nowadays when you have the headroom (hello 24-bit/32-bit samples). Back in 8/12 bit days it might make a lot of sense to try to get as much dynamics as possible, but today it really makes little difference.
TX16Wx Software Sampler:
http://www.tx16wx.com/
fedelien
KVRer

Postby fedelien; Mon Dec 05, 2016 8:53 am Re: Is it possible to adjust the split volume?

With all due respect, both Kontakt and Air Structure, honestly I don't remember EXS 24, have this very useful parameter, that I don't think is obsolete.
elcallio
KVRian

Postby elcallio; Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:42 am Re: Is it possible to adjust the split volume?

Please do not put words in my mouth. I did neither say per-sample volume was "obsolete" or anything else. I just pointed out that normalizing sample sets to different relative dynamics is imho not a great idea, and the need for _it_ is minimal with modern high bitdepth samples. And in fact will only add to your work load, since you would obviously have to go through a bunch of mappings and adjust relative volumes every time you use them in a new instrument.
Of course, there will be times when you map unrelated samples with intrinsically different dynamics, at which point I guess such adjustments are unavoidable. But to close the loop in my argument, at that point you can just use different groupings.
TX16Wx Software Sampler:
elcallio
KVRian

Postby elcallio; Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:53 am Re: Is it possible to adjust the split volume?

Btw, I am not saying its a bad idea to put per-sample attenuation into TX16Wx either. But I doubt it will be in until v3 (a.k.a magic unicorn XIII).
TX16Wx Software Sampler:

Moderator: elcallio

Return to CWITEC