Login / Register  0 items | $0.00 NewWhat is KVR? Submit News Advertise
zendobrendo
KVRer

6 posts since 25 Jul, 2017

Postby zendobrendo; Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:55 pm I messed up my folders in Reaper - possible to find my drumset?

So, I'm new to both Reaper and the TX16. I created a couple sets of drums in the sampler associated with specific projects in Reaper. I later learned to create subdirectories and saved my projects in that format, with audio and midi files, and discarded the old files. Now, the file opens telling me the kick drum can't be found, and when I try to select the "performance", "program", or sample in their respective folders, it does not work. Should I give up and just recreate the drum machine in a new iteration of the sampler? I'm still not clear on what a "performance" is vs. a "program" so apologies if I am missing something obvious.
elcallio
KVRian

1272 posts since 27 May, 2005, from Stockholm

Postby elcallio; Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:23 am Re: I messed up my folders in Reaper - possible to find my drumset?

If you relocate sound items, TX16Wx will typically open a file dialog and ask for the file. Navigate to the new location and click the file and TX should be able to infer the location of the dependent files (assuming the structure is unchanged). You can also use the file search function in the file dialog.

However, it is unclear from your message how you actually created the original sound sets. Did you create explicit programs on disk (manual save), or just inside the DAW project? Where were the wave files saved? If you deleted them ("discarded the old files"), then obviously they will not be found. But you should have original wave files, no?
TX16Wx Software Sampler:
http://www.tx16wx.com/
zendobrendo
KVRer

Postby zendobrendo; Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:23 am Re: I messed up my folders in Reaper - possible to find my drumset?

Thank you for the response. I actually moved so much around I'm not surprised Reaper couldn't put it back together. I moved the samples into a subfolder, and I don't know if the sampler saved a different version of the samples as part of the project. I did hit save within the sampler both for performance and program, and I can see those files in my folders, and now when I click them I get the message that the kick can't be found but a finder window opened and I was able to open the kick, then when I opened the hihat the rest of the set appeared! But now the kick is mute. No problem I will just drag a new kick onto that key.

I will just be more careful with how I organize files in general. But what is the recommended way per your question above (manual save vs in the DAW)? Can I save a drumset in TX16Wx independently of a Reaper project file, and open it as a virtual instrument in any project? Are both "performance" and "project" necessary to save in order to save a set of samples?
DarkStar
KVRAF

8192 posts since 2 Sep, 2003, from Surrey, UK

Postby DarkStar; Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:29 am Re: I messed up my folders in Reaper - possible to find my drumset?

No DAW host will know if you have moved the sample files that a plug-in like TX16Wx uses. Only TX16Wx will. :)

Save your drum kit from within TX16Wx as a Program (the floppy disk icon in the left-hand panel), then you can load it whenever you add TX16Wx to any project (in any host). A TX16Wx performance is a collection of Programs.

Reaper, or any other host, will save all the information that TX16Wx gives it, but it not be able to make any senses of it (it's just a chunk of data).
Last edited by DarkStar on Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
DarkStar
Interesting, if true ...
zendobrendo
KVRer

Postby zendobrendo; Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:04 pm Re: I messed up my folders in Reaper - possible to find my drumset?

Thank you DarkStar, I think I get it now. Have been able to use the program in new projects.
DarkStar
KVRAF

8192 posts since 2 Sep, 2003, from Surrey, UK

Postby DarkStar; Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:00 am Re: I messed up my folders in Reaper - possible to find my drumset?

Good oh!
:)
DarkStar
Interesting, if true ...

Moderator: elcallio

Return to CWITEC