PSA: Don't save patches as Reaper FX Presets

Official support for: tx16wx.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I had been storing various orchestral stuff straight as FX presets in Reaper, instead of txbanks or whatever. It seemed to be loading all parameters just fine, so I thought what the heck.

Now I had been getting these weird glitches for a time now, where the whole UI became unresponsive for a second or two after I moved something like a root key textbox "slider". Really f**king annoying and mysterious.

Just now I noticed that the downdown preset menu in the FX chain window was flickering during these glitches. Went to check the presets folder and noticed it had created a 24MB file (they rarely go above hundreds of KB even for more complex plugins). I renamed the preset bank to a temporary. Bang UI smooth and responsive again.

Reaper presets save the whole plugin state chunk. In case of TX this also contains all samples, I think.

Just disable the "embed samples in preset" (or similar name) setting in TX and this problem doesn't occur.

You sure about that? I've disabled pretty much all that "save" and "copy" stuff in the presets, and besides I think it's not very likely that a preference in a plugin could affect things on Reaper's side.

Disable in main TX16 settings:

"Save waves in project" and "Save all waves in FXB", then resave preset.

Otherwise Reaper FXChain preset files embed all the sample content into the presets themselves, which can naturally lead to huge preset file sizes (and load times).

You might also want to enable minimal undo states in Reaper plugin settings for TX16.

Yeah it might be that I had saved the Reaper presets before I disabled those options. Cheers

Return to “CWITEC”