Acoustica bugs / feature suggestions

Official support for: acondigital.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Seems a bit quiet here so I thought to list some bugs and feature requests/suggestions that come to mind while using Acoustica. I might add more as I go on and use the software more. I bought the Standard edition mainly because making crossfade loops with constant power fades was easy with it. Not many editing software offer this, Wavelab (€€€) being the only other I know.

Anyway, nice editor and especially if you consider the price :tu: . However there seems to be at least some bugs and inconsistencies. I hope you developers take these only as constructive observations and feedback. I consider the software good value already as it is.

Bugs/Problems:
  • Crash when adding a track in multitrack session mode after some editing. Could not reproduce or point the exact cause.
  • If multitrack session is playing and its tab closed, the playback goes still on and can not be stopped
Suggestions
  • Add fade handle/non-destructive fade option for clips in multitrack session mode. As non-destructive crossfades with selectable fade curves is already possible, this would seem logical?
  • If clip is not edited (but just opened) in standard edit mode (after double clicking it in multitrack session), do not ask if it should replace the multitrack session clip
  • Enable reset (to original) option for clip stretching in multitrack session
  • Transpose options for clips would be great in multitrack session
  • Bezier curves for vol/pan curves in multitrack session would be great too
  • Show frequency as a readout or popup while moving mouse over FFT Analyzer. It is of little use if you can not check on the exact frequencies the peaks are etc.
  • Enable preview for audio clips in browser. It is often impossible to know which sample you need to choose, if you can not preview them.
  • Add option to use output volume control as post-level-meter, so that it will not affect rendering or metering. This would be useful while working with full DAW software. It is often necessary to adjust amp level constantly while switching between sample editing and multitracking/mixing in an other software. Normalized samples play often much louder than DAW sessions. With post-everything fader you could adjust your editor volume levels according to your main sequencer/software levels, without losing the metering.
  • Allowing toolbars to be placed on the same line as the text menu would add more screen space
  • Bookmarks/recent places in browser would be great
  • Scroll up/down and left/right with mouse wheel + modifier keys
..That's about it, I might add more later as I have time to use this editor.

Thank you very much for your valuable feedback! I've added the bug reports to our bug tracking system and we'll do our best to fix them in the next service build. You also have some very good feature requests, some of them were already on the "to-do" list, but some were also new. We consider them all for future versions.

Stian

Thanks stian, good to know you are listening :)

Another suggestion, for a very minor but annoying issue – can you make Ctrl-W close the tab? This works in nearly all Windows programs now, I still find myself trying use it in Acoustica :)

I think you can make your own shortcuts.
I was very annoyed by the lack of the same shortcut by default, and i think i managed to modify it.

By the way, i wish we could have better vumeters with clipping indicators : right now, there is no way to know if a limiter is indeed limiting @0.0dB, or if it is clipping above that range, as no red "clipping" indicator is blinking (like in many other programs).

You're right, I missed that customizable shortcuts were added way back in version 5. Thanks!

Stian, never mind. 8)

Ickky wrote:Another suggestion, for a very minor but annoying issue – can you make Ctrl-W close the tab? This works in nearly all Windows programs now, I still find myself trying use it in Acoustica :)
Thanks for the feedback. I've added the accelerator for this, so it will be included in the next build. I always use Ctrl+F4 for this myself...

Stian

sinkmusic wrote:By the way, i wish we could have better vumeters with clipping indicators : right now, there is no way to know if a limiter is indeed limiting @0.0dB, or if it is clipping above that range, as no red "clipping" indicator is blinking (like in many other programs).
Thanks, but I don't quite understand. The peak indicator turns red when clipping and it stays red for the entire peak hold period (normally 10 sec). Doesn't that work properly?

Stian

Thank you for the reply.
My concern it that the vumeter stops at 0dB, so (un less i'm wrong) there is no way to know if a file is brickwalled at 0dB or if it is clipping.
The visualization is the same for 0dB and +9dB (for example).
In Reaper, a red square appears as soon as the output level is above 0dB, letting you know that the file is clipping.
In Acoustica, normalizing a file @0dB gives me the same visual feedback than normalizing a file @+10dB (this example is dumb, but i hope you get the idea ;))

sinkmusic wrote:Thank you for the reply.
My concern it that the vumeter stops at 0dB, so (un less i'm wrong) there is no way to know if a file is brickwalled at 0dB or if it is clipping.
The visualization is the same for 0dB and +9dB (for example).
In Reaper, a red square appears as soon as the output level is above 0dB, letting you know that the file is clipping.
In Acoustica, normalizing a file @0dB gives me the same visual feedback than normalizing a file @+10dB (this example is dumb, but i hope you get the idea ;))
Strange, not here. I just tested it. If the peak value is above 0 dBfs the peak level indicator turns red, otherwise it is white... I don't really understand what's going on there?

Stian

Here, you can see that the vumeer goes up to +12dB,
and that a red rectangle is shown above the vumeter.

Here, I normalized a file to 0dB, then made it louder by 9dB. SO it's clipping way above 0dB all the time.
In Reaper, i would see the vumeter go ABOVE 0dB, and with a "clipping" indicator. And i would know how much above 0dB it is.
Here, i have no way to know if my limiter eats every peak, or if the file is much more above 0dB, etc. There is no information shown above odB, and i have no way to know if a file is actually limited at 0dB or if it is clipping above 0dB.

sinkmusic wrote:Here, you can see that the vumeer goes up to +12dB,
and that a red rectangle is shown above the vumeter.

Here, I normalized a file to 0dB, then made it louder by 9dB. SO it's clipping way above 0dB all the time.
In Reaper, i would see the vumeter go ABOVE 0dB, and with a "clipping" indicator. And i would know how much above 0dB it is.
Here, i have no way to know if my limiter eats every peak, or if the file is much more above 0dB, etc. There is no information shown above odB, and i have no way to know if a file is actually limited at 0dB or if it is clipping above 0dB.
It is not very clear, but you can see that upper "peak hold" indicator which is normally white has turned red in the bitmap you pasted. It's easier to spot when the instantaneous peak is lower, though. Maybe I should make the line bolder in the case of clipping... You can change meter mode to K-12, BTW, if you prefer the 12 dB headroom.

Stian

Yes, a bolder line ABOVE odB (and not at the same level, next to it) would be great ;)
Thank you !

sinkmusic wrote:Yes, a bolder line ABOVE odB (and not at the same level, next to it) would be great ;)
Thank you !
OK, I'll look into that! :wink:

Stian

Hi, i've played a bit with the trial and want to add my suggestions as well. My list so far:

1. 64-bit native support. That's an issue i'm currently having with Sound Forge as well, bit-bridging the plugins lead only to instabilities and crashes.
2. AC3 import.
3. The ability to edit individual channels. As it is now, if i select just the left channel (or a part of it) and cut/paste/insert, the right channel is being affected too).
4. The ability to insert individual markers, not only region markers.
5. Manipulate the information values on the bottom of each track. For example, set the cursor position by altering the Cusror coordinates, or select a region by entering the timecodes in the Selection fields.
6. Brush mode for the waveform.
7. Generate custom frequency tones such as MF/DTMF, white, pink and brown noise.
8. Change the ASIO latency within the program.
9. Floating windows and a choice for a dark GUI colour would be nice additions.

I think there's a lot of potential within Acoustica, thanks for your time.

Return to “Acon Digital”