Acoustica Premium 7.0.41: issues with the Insert Silence module

Official support for: acondigital.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Mr. Stian,

I refer to Acoustica Premium 7.0.41, running on Windows 10 Professional 64-bit.

A question, maybe a suggestion: I am trying to change some part of an audio file to complete silence.

1. If I select a block of audio and then call Tools / Insert Silence, in the first place the Insert Silence does not recognise that a block of audio is selected: the Duration of the silence to be inserted does not automatically match the duration of the selected block.

2. So, before calling the Insert Silence module, I copy the duration of the selected block (in seconds) from the small window on the Acoustica Workspace, and then I call the Insert Silence module and paste that duration on the Duration window of the module. What happens when, with the cursor is at the beginning of the selected block. I click on OK? The silence is inserted on the audio file while the selected block is time-shifted to the right. That is, the Insert Silence module does not understand that the selected block should be replaced by the silence - the module acts as if there is no selected block in the audio file.

In my view, the Insert Silence module should automatically understand that, if there is a selected block of audio, then this selection should be wholly replaced by silence. As it is, there seems to be no straightforward way in Acoustica 7 of replacing a selected block of audio with silence.

Is the current behaviour of the Insert Silence module indeed what it should be? Am I missing something about the correct use of the module? Couldn't the module's behaviour be changed here?

Please note: a further odd behaviour of the Insert Silence module: (1) When I paste into the Duration window of the Insert Silence module a fractional number of seconds copied from the workspace's small window (e.g. 8.363), the module, when actually generating the silence, truncates the silence's duration to a whole number (in the example, 8.363 would be actually transformed to 8). I have made some tests, and it seems the duration is indeed truncated, not rounded to the nearest whole number. (2) However, if I create a silence by typing (not pasting) a fractional number of seconds (e.g. 2.755) on the module's Duration window, then the module correctly creates a silence with the proper fractional duration (in the example, 2.755). (3) That is, it seems the module deals in different ways with numbers placed on the Duration window, depending on whether the number is pasted or typed on the window.

Maybe, some of these same observations could apply to the Signal Generator module, which also doesn't automatically recognise a selected block in the audio file.

Best regards,

Paulo

Mr. Stian,

I don't know what happened, please read: in the example, 8.363 would be actually transformed to 8.

Paulo

Hi Paulo!

I think what you want to do is Volume > Mute, not insert silence. Mute "silences" the selection whereas "Insert Silence..." inserts a silent signal with the specified duration. In the latter case, the following audio will (and should) be shifted in time.

Best,
Stian

Mr. Stian,

Thank you. Yes, Volume > Mute is what I need, I see now. So we have two ways of inserting a silence in Acoustica, Volume > Mute and Tools > Insert Silence, depending on whether we want to replace a block of audio with silence or just actually insert some silence on the file.

But please note, as it happens also with Analysis > Show Statistics, the Volume > Mute feature is not documented in the Acoustica Help files (nor in the PDF manual).

Thank you once again.

Paulo

Return to “Acon Digital”