Login / Register 0 items | $0.00 New @ KVR
Paulo-Brazil
KVRist

75 posts since 1 Oct, 2017

Postby Paulo-Brazil; Mon Jan 29, 2018 4:28 am Acoustica Premium 7.0.41 - suggestions: time-frequency selection

Mr. Stian,

I refer to Acoustica Premium 7.0.41, running on Windows 10 Professional 64-bit.

Two suggestions about the time-frequency rectangle selection in the spectrogram view:

1. At this moment, for editing the audio file in the spectrogram view, I am using mostly the time-frequency rectangle selection. The point is, each time I go from the waveform view to the spectrogram one, Acoustica returns to the time range selection, it doesn't maintain the spectrogram view set to the last chosen mode of selection. So my suggestion: Acoustica could maybe at the start of the program have the time range selection as the default mode in the spectrogram view. But afterwards, if at some moment the user has chosen a different mode of selection, Acoustica, when entering the spectrogram view again later, should remember the last setting of the range selection tool.

2. When retouching a time-frequency selected region, a light grey rectangle with an arrow appears, for the actual execution of the retouching. Sometimes the rectangle appears right at the moment of defining the time-frequency region. The point is, the rectangle is centered at the cursor, so it is partially inside the selected time-frequency region, getting in the way of the selected region. When the time-frequency region is small, the rectangle can cover a substantial part of the selected region, sometimes making it difficult to see what happens with the audio inside that region. So my suggestion: couldn't the small rectangle be placed completely to the left of the cursor, just touching the selected region but entirely outside of it? This way, the rectangle would not cover the selected region, and we would be able to see completely the audio issues inside the region. Care would have to be taken right at the beginning of the audio file, where it could exist insufficient space to place the rectangle to the left of the cursor - could it be placed to the right of the cursor in that situation?

Regards,

Paulo
stian
KVRian

777 posts since 1 Jan, 2005, from Norway

Postby stian; Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:14 am Re: Acoustica Premium 7.0.41 - suggestions: time-frequency selection

Hi Paulo,
Paulo-Brazil wrote:1. At this moment, for editing the audio file in the spectrogram view, I am using mostly the time-frequency rectangle selection. The point is, each time I go from the waveform view to the spectrogram one, Acoustica returns to the time range selection, it doesn't maintain the spectrogram view set to the last chosen mode of selection. So my suggestion: Acoustica could maybe at the start of the program have the time range selection as the default mode in the spectrogram view. But afterwards, if at some moment the user has chosen a different mode of selection, Acoustica, when entering the spectrogram view again later, should remember the last setting of the range selection tool.

Hmm, the waveform view doesn't really allow time-frequency selections and I think it's okay that the selection is modified accordingly. You can easily revert the selection by clicking the arrow back button below the waveform, where the selection time range is displayed numerically.

Paulo-Brazil wrote:2. When retouching a time-frequency selected region, a light grey rectangle with an arrow appears, for the actual execution of the retouching. Sometimes the rectangle appears right at the moment of defining the time-frequency region. The point is, the rectangle is centered at the cursor, so it is partially inside the selected time-frequency region, getting in the way of the selected region. When the time-frequency region is small, the rectangle can cover a substantial part of the selected region, sometimes making it difficult to see what happens with the audio inside that region. So my suggestion: couldn't the small rectangle be placed completely to the left of the cursor, just touching the selected region but entirely outside of it? This way, the rectangle would not cover the selected region, and we would be able to see completely the audio issues inside the region. Care would have to be taken right at the beginning of the audio file, where it could exist insufficient space to place the rectangle to the left of the cursor - could it be placed to the right of the cursor in that situation?

I see your point. Depending on where the reference is set (you can move it by pressing Ctrl), the button would have to be aligned differently so that it never covers the selection. If the reference is on the right side of the selection, the button would need to be right aligned... I'll add that request to the bug tracking system.

Best,
Stian
Paulo-Brazil
KVRist

Postby Paulo-Brazil; Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:45 am Re: Acoustica Premium 7.0.41 - suggestions: time-frequency selection

Mr. Stian,

With regard to the first point, it seems I have not expressed myself in the most clear way. I was not referring to any specific selected time-frequency region, when going from the spectrogram view to the waveform view and then back to the spectrogram. As you have said, a selected time-frequency region has no meaning in the waveform view, and when I return to the spectrogram view I can use the arrow back button below the window to recover a time-frequency selected region.

My point has to do with the settings themselves of the button "Activates the time range selection" on the toolbar. Example:

1. I open a file, which will show in the waveform window.

2. I go to the spectrogram view, and then I click on the "Activates the time range selection" button on the toobar, which by default is set to "Time Range Selection", and I click on (I activate) the "Time-Frequency Rectangle Selection" option.

3. Now I select a time-frequency rectangular region on the spectrogram.

4. For any reason, I return to the waveform view (where only a time-selected region will show), then I go back to the spectrogram view (where only that same time-selected region will show), and I click on the arrow back button below the window to recover the time-frequency region of the spectrogram that was originally selected.

5. Now, here is the point, while still in the spectrogram view, I want to select a different time-frequency region. To do that, I am forced to go to the button "Activates the time range selection" on the toolbar to choose again the "Time-Frequency Rectangle Selection" option, because always, when going from the waveform to the spectrogram, Acoustica defaults to the "Time Range Selection" option - my previous choice of the "Time-Frequency Rectangle Selection" was not maintained, was not remembered by Acoustica.

If, for any reason, I alternate between the spectrogram and waveform views, every time I enter the spectrogram view Acoustica is in the default state of the "Activates the time range selection" button, namely, the "Time Range Selection" option. If all my selections on the spectrogram view are of the time-frequency kind, and for any reason between selections I revert to the waveform view and then return to the spectrogram, I am forced every time to choose again the "Time-Frequency Rectangle Selection" option.

I hope the issue I am pointing out is clear this time.

My suggestion is a simple one: in the spectrogram view, while starting by default in the "Time Range Selection" option, the "Activates the time range selection" button should always remeber the last option chosen by the user, no matter whether, in the meantime, the waveform view was used.

Thank you. Regards,

Paulo
stian
KVRian

Postby stian; Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:57 pm Re: Acoustica Premium 7.0.41 - suggestions: time-frequency selection

Hi Paulo,
Paulo-Brazil wrote:I hope the issue I am pointing out is clear this time.

My suggestion is a simple one: in the spectrogram view, while starting by default in the "Time Range Selection" option, the "Activates the time range selection" button should always remeber the last option chosen by the user, no matter whether, in the meantime, the waveform view was used.

I'm sorry, I missed your point and I see the annoyance in Acoustica's behaviour there. I've added an entry for this in the bug tracker.

Best,
Stian
cloudlake
KVRer

3 posts since 13 Jan, 2018

Postby cloudlake; Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:58 am Re: Acoustica Premium 7.0.41 - suggestions: time-frequency selection

I'm in agreement with Paulo! It would be great for it to remember which option you were using in the spectral view - including the settings on the brush and retouch tool. Another wishlist item I'll request is to have keyboard shortcut options for them and the size/percentage (kind of like Photoshop does for photo editing).

thanks so much for listening and being so responsive to the userbase!
Paulo-Brazil
KVRist

Postby Paulo-Brazil; Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:38 am Re: Acoustica Premium 7.0.41 - suggestions: time-frequency selection

Mr. Stian,

The changelog for the new version 7.0.51 says: "Fixed: Keep last selection tool when returning to spectrogram mode"

If I understand correctly, this changelog item is about the time-range selection tool on the spectrogram toolbar.

However, this new feature doesn't seem to be working in version 7.0.51 (on Windows 10 Professional 64-bit). If, while in the spectrogram window, I select Time-Frequency, and then go to the waveform window, when I return to the spectrogram window the selection tool is in the Time Range mode, not in Time-Frequency mode.

Paulo
stian
KVRian

Postby stian; Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:11 am Re: Acoustica Premium 7.0.41 - suggestions: time-frequency selection

Hi Paulo,
Paulo-Brazil wrote:Mr. Stian,

The changelog for the new version 7.0.51 says: "Fixed: Keep last selection tool when returning to spectrogram mode"

If I understand correctly, this changelog item is about the time-range selection tool on the spectrogram toolbar.

However, this new feature doesn't seem to be working in version 7.0.51 (on Windows 10 Professional 64-bit). If, while in the spectrogram window, I select Time-Frequency, and then go to the waveform window, when I return to the spectrogram window the selection tool is in the Time Range mode, not in Time-Frequency mode.

Paulo

Yes, there seems indeed to be a remaining issue there. There's a tool selection that's actually remembered (try lasso, brush or magic wand), but the time, frequency and time/frequency rectangle options are implemented as "constrains" internally and that state isn't stored. I'll get that fixed.

Best,
Stian

Moderator: stian

Return to Acon Digital