Acoustica Premium 7.0.51 - audio device settings

Official support for: acondigital.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Mr. Stian,

I refer to Acoustica Premium 7.0.51, running on Windows 10 Professional 64-bit.

My Acoustica works with an ASIO driver type, buffer size 512, the input/output device is "Yamaha Steinberg USB ASIO", since my audio equipment is connected to a Yamaha mixer.

The problem is, when I close Acoustica, open another audio editor, then close it and open Acoustica once more, the driver type and buffer size show as before, but the the input/output device is now changed to "Magix Low Latence 2016" (installed on my computer by some Magix software). With that input/output device I get no sound from Acoustica, although the audio file plays. I am forced to go to the Edit > Preferences > Audio Device Settings to change the input/output device to the correct "Yamaha Steinberg USB ASIO", so that I can get any sound from Acoustica.

My question: is there any way to make the Audio Device Settings remember the last configuration used between two openings of Acoustica? If there is not, couldn't this "memory" be implemented?

Regards,

Paulo

Hi Paulo,
Paulo-Brazil wrote:Mr. Stian,

I refer to Acoustica Premium 7.0.51, running on Windows 10 Professional 64-bit.

My Acoustica works with an ASIO driver type, buffer size 512, the input/output device is "Yamaha Steinberg USB ASIO", since my audio equipment is connected to a Yamaha mixer.

The problem is, when I close Acoustica, open another audio editor, then close it and open Acoustica once more, the driver type and buffer size show as before, but the the input/output device is now changed to "Magix Low Latence 2016" (installed on my computer by some Magix software). With that input/output device I get no sound from Acoustica, although the audio file plays. I am forced to go to the Edit > Preferences > Audio Device Settings to change the input/output device to the correct "Yamaha Steinberg USB ASIO", so that I can get any sound from Acoustica.

My question: is there any way to make the Audio Device Settings remember the last configuration used between two openings of Acoustica? If there is not, couldn't this "memory" be implemented?
That's strange, Acoustica should remember the name of the last device and try to reopen that when Acoustica starts. You can find this setting in the file "Acoustica7.xml" residing in "C:\Users\[USER NAME]\AppData\Roaming\Acon Digital". This is a standard XML file that contains all the settings and the DEVICESETUP entry keeps the last audio device settings. On my computer it looks like this:

Code: Select all

<DEVICESETUP deviceType="ASIO" audioOutputDeviceName="Focusrite Scarlett ASIO"
                   audioInputDeviceName="Focusrite Scarlett ASIO" audioDeviceRate="44100"
                   audioDeviceBufferSize="512" audioDeviceInChans="0" audioDeviceOutChans="11"/>
It would be interesting to know what stored in that file on you computer. The mechanism seems to work fine here and I haven't received any other reports regarding this issue.

Best,
Stian

Mr. Stian,

At this moment, I am not able to reproduce the exact issue that I reported, but it did happen. Now that I have the information about the XML settings file, I will take a look at it if the problem repeats itself.

But a similar issue happens in the situation described below. The information from the XML file is this:

<DEVICESETUP deviceType="ASIO"
audioOutputDeviceName="Yamaha Steinberg USB ASIO"
audioInputDeviceName="Yamaha Steinberg USB ASIO"
audioDeviceRate="44100"
audioDeviceInChans="0" audioDeviceOutChans="11"/>

Note: no info on the buffer size, which is normally 512 in the Edit > Preferences.

I open WaveLab 9.5 Elements (which I have in trial mode) and play a file in it (it plays regularly through the Yamaha/ASIO driver).

Now, while WaveLab is opened, I open Acoustica. If I look at the Edit > Preferences, the Input/output device is "Magix Low Latency 2016", despite the fact that the XML file indicates "Yamaha Steinberg USB ASIO". And the buffer size went to 128, it is not 512 anymore. Now, I open a file in Acoustica - the file opens well. I press the Play button on the toolbar, and the file "plays", in the sense that the audio cursor, level meters, loudness meter etc. are all moving, but I get absolutely no sound. In the Edit > Preferences, the Input/output device is "Magix Low Latency 2016", and no error is reported by Acoustica. WaveLab is open during all this experiment.

If I close WaveLab, and then in Acoustica I change the Input/output device to "Yamaha Steinberg USB ASIO" and the buffer size to 512, now with a Play I regularly get sound from Acoustica.

Hi Paulo,
Paulo-Brazil wrote:I open WaveLab 9.5 Elements (which I have in trial mode) and play a file in it (it plays regularly through the Yamaha/ASIO driver).

Now, while WaveLab is opened, I open Acoustica. If I look at the Edit > Preferences, the Input/output device is "Magix Low Latency 2016", despite the fact that the XML file indicates "Yamaha Steinberg USB ASIO". And the buffer size went to 128, it is not 512 anymore. Now, I open a file in Acoustica - the file opens well. I press the Play button on the toolbar, and the file "plays", in the sense that the audio cursor, level meters, loudness meter etc. are all moving, but I get absolutely no sound. In the Edit > Preferences, the Input/output device is "Magix Low Latency 2016", and no error is reported by Acoustica. WaveLab is open during all this experiment.

If I close WaveLab, and then in Acoustica I change the Input/output device to "Yamaha Steinberg USB ASIO" and the buffer size to 512, now with a Play I regularly get sound from Acoustica.
Thanks for the explanation -- I see now what's happening. ASIO is exclusive so that only one application can have access. WaveLab block the Yamaha interface in this case and Acoustica tries to find an alternative device. I'll see if we can improve this -- maybe by simply opening the audio device settings when the last device isn't available anymore. Anyway, you want be able to use both WaveLab and Acoustica with the Yamaha interface at the same time, I'm afraid.

Best,
Stian

Mr. Stian,

It happened today: I opened Acoustica (by clicking on an audio file in Windows Manager), and it opened (with the audio file) with a different audio device than the one in the XML file. No other audio editor was opened at the time.

XML file:
<DEVICESETUP deviceType="ASIO" audioOutputDeviceName="Yamaha Steinberg USB ASIO"
audioInputDeviceName="Yamaha Steinberg USB ASIO" audioDeviceRate="48000"
audioDeviceInChans="1" audioDeviceOutChans="11"/>

Edit > Preferences in the attached JPG file.

Everything (audio cursor, level meter, etc.) moves with a click on the Play button, but I get no sound.

Regards,

Paulo
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Hi Paulo,
Paulo-Brazil wrote:It happened today: I opened Acoustica (by clicking on an audio file in Windows Manager), and it opened (with the audio file) with a different audio device than the one in the XML file. No other audio editor was opened at the time.

XML file:
<DEVICESETUP deviceType="ASIO" audioOutputDeviceName="Yamaha Steinberg USB ASIO"
audioInputDeviceName="Yamaha Steinberg USB ASIO" audioDeviceRate="48000"
audioDeviceInChans="1" audioDeviceOutChans="11"/>

Edit > Preferences in the attached JPG file.

Everything (audio cursor, level meter, etc.) moves with a click on the Play button, but I get no sound
Thanks for the report. I still think the only plausible explanation is that the Yamaha device is unavailable when you open Acoustica and that Acoustica picks the next device available. As I've mentioned earlier, we'll see if we can add a message box instead and open the device settings automatically if the selected device isn't available.

Best,
Stian

Return to “Acon Digital”