Login / Register 0 items | $0.00 New @ KVR
Paulo-Brazil
KVRist

75 posts since 1 Oct, 2017

Postby Paulo-Brazil; Sun Feb 18, 2018 4:21 am Acoustica Premium 7.0.51 - Multiband Dynamics

Mr. Stian,

I refer to Acoustica Premium 7.0.51, running on Windows 10 Professional 64-bit.

1. In the Multiband Dynamics module, we change the crossover frequencies and the slopes of the curves by dragging the yellow handles on the upper graph. But, for reproducibility and/or documentation, we have no way of knowing the exact values of crossover frequencies and slopes, as the parameter adjusting is performed only by sight, in a graphical way. Possibly, sliders with small typing windows should be provided for adjusting these parameters - six sliders in total.

2. The Help page says: "a cross-over point can never cross another cross-over point". But this doesn't seem to be true. I can drag the first crossover triangular handle past the second one - at that point, the second curve just disappears, and we have only there coloured curves in the upper graph, not four curves anymore. How would the Multiband Dynamics be operating at that point? With only three operative frequency bands? Anything wrong here?

3. In the upper graph, the four curves in colour have their flat parts at a level (Filter response) of 0 dB. There seems to be no way of changing that. For each curve, shouldn't this level be adjustable? Perhaps by the input gain slider for the curve?

4. I don't understand the difference in operation between the two top-rightmost sliders, Input Level and Output Level. What is it? On the Help page, there is only some explanation about the Output Level. In fact, the Input Level doesn't even show in the module's picture on the Help page - possibly this is a picture of an older version of the module.

Regards,

Paulo
stian
KVRian

783 posts since 1 Jan, 2005, from Norway

Postby stian; Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:28 am Re: Acoustica Premium 7.0.51 - Multiband Dynamics

Hi Paulo,
Paulo-Brazil wrote:1. In the Multiband Dynamics module, we change the crossover frequencies and the slopes of the curves by dragging the yellow handles on the upper graph. But, for reproducibility and/or documentation, we have no way of knowing the exact values of crossover frequencies and slopes, as the parameter adjusting is performed only by sight, in a graphical way. Possibly, sliders with small typing windows should be provided for adjusting these parameters - six sliders in total.

I guess we could add a cursor read-out there so that you can at least see the numerical value. Ideally, I agree that there should be parameter fields with numerical entry for cross-over frequencies and slopes, but there's not much space. The window already has the maximum size for it to fit on the supported screen resolutions.

Paulo-Brazil wrote:2. The Help page says: "a cross-over point can never cross another cross-over point". But this doesn't seem to be true. I can drag the first crossover triangular handle past the second one - at that point, the second curve just disappears, and we have only there coloured curves in the upper graph, not four curves anymore. How would the Multiband Dynamics be operating at that point? With only three operative frequency bands? Anything wrong here?

Yes, I see that the documentation doesn't quite match the software there. Acoustica's behaviour is slightly odd, maybe, but not really wrong either. The band simply doesn't influence the output anymore if the first cross-over is set to a frequency sufficiently higher then the next cross-over.

Paulo-Brazil wrote:3. In the upper graph, the four curves in colour have their flat parts at a level (Filter response) of 0 dB. There seems to be no way of changing that. For each curve, shouldn't this level be adjustable? Perhaps by the input gain slider for the curve?

I guess that would need to be band output gain to be meaningful? That could be a nice thing to add -- maybe as bullet points at the current level in the middle of each band.

Paulo-Brazil wrote:4. I don't understand the difference in operation between the two top-rightmost sliders, Input Level and Output Level. What is it? On the Help page, there is only some explanation about the Output Level. In fact, the Input Level doesn't even show in the module's picture on the Help page - possibly this is a picture of an older version of the module.

Since the processor isn't linear, it makes a huge difference if you apply gain before or after the dynamics processing. The input level adjusts the gain at the input whereas the output level adjusts the gain at the output. We'll get the help updated accordingly.

Best,
Stian
Paulo-Brazil
KVRist

75 posts since 1 Oct, 2017

Postby Paulo-Brazil; Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:43 pm Re: Acoustica Premium 7.0.51 - Multiband Dynamics

Mr. Stian,

About the second item:

2. The Help page says: "a cross-over point can never cross another cross-over point". But this doesn't seem to be true. I can drag the first crossover triangular handle past the second one - at that point, the second curve just disappears, and we have only there coloured curves in the upper graph, not four curves anymore. How would the Multiband Dynamics be operating at that point? With only three operative frequency bands? Anything wrong here?

[your answer] "Yes, I see that the documentation doesn't quite match the software there. Acoustica's behaviour is slightly odd, maybe, but not really wrong either. The band simply doesn't influence the output anymore if the first cross-over is set to a frequency sufficiently higher then the next cross-over."

Maybe, as a suggestion, if a curve "disappears", or, as you say. if "the band simply doesn't influence the output anymore", then maybe in that situation all sliders and parameters belonging to that curve could be "shaded out", presented in a subdued grey colour, to make it clear that these sliders and parameters aren't operative anymore.

But the situation can be still more strange: we can make **two** curves disappear, the low mid and the high mid ones. After a reset, just drag the 200 Hz crossover handle to the rightmost position in the window, and then drag the 2000 Hz handle to the leftmost position in the window. Now we have only two curves on the graph.

Maybe this kind of operation, making a a crossover point to cross another crossover point, should just not be allowed, I don't know. I don't know whether this is really necessary. But everything seems quite strange indeed.

About the third item:

3. In the upper graph, the four curves in colour have their flat parts at a level (Filter response) of 0 dB. There seems to be no way of changing that. For each curve, shouldn't this level be adjustable? Perhaps by the input gain slider for the curve?

[your answer] "I guess that would need to be band output gain to be meaningful? That could be a nice thing to add -- maybe as bullet points at the current level in the middle of each band."

In that case, again, for reproducibility and/or documentation, maybe sliders with small typing windows should be presented for each band output gain, but there seems to exist the problem of lack of space in the module's window.
stian
KVRian

783 posts since 1 Jan, 2005, from Norway

Postby stian; Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:13 am Re: Acoustica Premium 7.0.51 - Multiband Dynamics

Hi Paulo,

Paulo-Brazil wrote:2. The Help page says: "a cross-over point can never cross another cross-over point". But this doesn't seem to be true. I can drag the first crossover triangular handle past the second one - at that point, the second curve just disappears, and we have only there coloured curves in the upper graph, not four curves anymore. How would the Multiband Dynamics be operating at that point? With only three operative frequency bands? Anything wrong here?

[your answer] "Yes, I see that the documentation doesn't quite match the software there. Acoustica's behaviour is slightly odd, maybe, but not really wrong either. The band simply doesn't influence the output anymore if the first cross-over is set to a frequency sufficiently higher then the next cross-over."

Maybe, as a suggestion, if a curve "disappears", or, as you say. if "the band simply doesn't influence the output anymore", then maybe in that situation all sliders and parameters belonging to that curve could be "shaded out", presented in a subdued grey colour, to make it clear that these sliders and parameters aren't operative anymore.

But the situation can be still more strange: we can make **two** curves disappear, the low mid and the high mid ones. After a reset, just drag the 200 Hz crossover handle to the rightmost position in the window, and then drag the 2000 Hz handle to the leftmost position in the window. Now we have only two curves on the graph.

Maybe this kind of operation, making a a crossover point to cross another crossover point, should just not be allowed, I don't know. I don't know whether this is really necessary. But everything seems quite strange indeed.

About the third item:

[your answer] "I guess that would need to be band output gain to be meaningful? That could be a nice thing to add -- maybe as bullet points at the current level in the middle of each band."

In that case, again, for reproducibility and/or documentation, maybe sliders with small typing windows should be presented for each band output gain, but there seems to exist the problem of lack of space in the module's window.

Thanks, we'll take another look at the Multiband Dynamics UI and see what we can come up with. There are a couple of feature requests such as band bypass / disabling along with your suggestions and we'll take that all into account.

Best,
Stian

Moderator: stian

Return to Acon Digital