Tracktion and beat mapping

Discussion about: tracktion.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hey all,

Been wondering.......

Is there anyway to easily beat map a song in Tracktion?

In other words I have a song that is already recorded, with multiple tracks, to no click, and I want to preserve the natural flow of the musicians playing. I don't want to quantize it to a grid. I want the click to follow the musicians.

I mainly use Logic and Studio One to do this now, but I am really hoping Tracktion can do this or do this soon.

Thanks,

Wayne
I'm a leaf on the wind, watch me soar.......

Wash

Unfortunately not. But when you gather enough support for it, I am sure the devs will look into it. Probably not easy to implement, though.

I'm surprised. With the nice way that Tracktion handles audio for the most part, you would think that it would be a feature that people crave. I know all the bands I record hate recording to a click for the most part. Music is supposed to be free. My clients much prefer making the computer adhere to THEIR way of playing instead of quantizing THEIR playing.

I know nowadays that's really against the grain of the music industry. Everybody wants everything spot on to a click and the grid but I find rock and roll especially needs that human flow. I love the way Tracktion works for most things and I love supporting the little guy, Hey Jules!! I already upgraded my copy of Tracktion to 5 just figuring that Jules will get to it eventually. Here's hoping sooner than later....

Thanks,

Wayne

Wash

I'm pretty sure Melodyne Studio would do that, but I don't know whether the Melodyne plug-in T5 will have can do the same.
[W10-64, T5/6/7/W8/9/10/11/12/13, 32(to W8)&64 all, Spike],[W7-32, T5/6/7/W8, Gina16] everything underused.

melodyne can create a tempomap of loaded audio, which can be further finetuned after an automatic detection.
it seems that this can be done with the ara version also, people are discussing this on the studio one side.

it may have to do with the implementation, if you can copy the tempoinformation from melodyne ara to the host tempotrack.
at least there is hope we can get this!

let's see ...

mathias

Hi guys, thanks for the input. There does appear to be more demand for this than we first realised. Like Frank says though it's not trivial to implement.

Probably the easiest way of doing this at the moment is to generate a tempo mapped MIDI file (with tempo change events) from Melodyne or whatever other tool does this for you, then import this into an empty track in Tracktion. The tempo change events will then get applied to the tempo track and any MIDI should then be in time. Hope that helps, Dave.

Look forward to trying this. Beat mapping is important.

Rock wrote:Look forward to trying this. Beat mapping is important.
Yeah, me too. This is something I've wanted to find a good way to do forever. Exciting
"my gosh it's a friggin hardware"

I haven't got tracktion yet but even a simple no frills tempo mapping feature would be fantastic

So Tracktion team,

I am curious, it's been more than four months since I posted the original question about beat mapping and T5.

Any progress? Without even ARA support, trying to do a whole song beat mapped through Melodyne is just too clunky.

Again just curious......

Thanks,

Wayne

Wash

It may be little help, but a friend of mine who uses Sonar totally ignores its bars. He treats it like a tape recorder. That said, he doesn't use MIDI.
[W10-64, T5/6/7/W8/9/10/11/12/13, 32(to W8)&64 all, Spike],[W7-32, T5/6/7/W8, Gina16] everything underused.

I don't think you can do it at all with melodyn in Tracktion. If it is possible someone please post instructions.

As far as implementing it in Tracktion. A good start would just be to allow a person to tap in a beat as the music plays using MIDI or a keyboard key. A "beat to tempo" option on a MIDI clip would work. It doesn't have to analyze a complex passage just something that would work with a tap.

Afaict it is only possible with Melodyne Studio, not singletrack (editor) so I very much doubt it will be possible with the upcoming ARA.

There is a variable tempo detect in my essentials ara s1 version, but it fails to detect correctly and doesn't let you pin a measure manually. The mind boggles.

I think the variable tempo detect in the editor detects changes in host tempos.
Last edited by Rock on Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Tracktion”