External Audio Editor Problem

Discussion about: tracktion.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I will sometimes send a noisy wave clip out to an external editor (in my case Sound Forge 9 or 10) to do noise reduction. In T5 it opens the file in Sound Forge, but it will not let me save it once I do any processing. If I close Tracktion, I can then save. I have had similar issues with prior Tracktion releases, but I always found that I could get it to save if it was moved out of a folder track or unsoloed. With this release it seams nothing works short of shutting down Tracktion which is a pain to say the least. Anybody else with this problem?

Allowing two programs to open the same file for editing is dodgy, fullstop. You ought to work on a copy of your file and then overwrite the version that Tracktion knows about.
[W10-64, T5/6/7/W8/9/10/11/12/13, 32(to W8)&64 all, Spike],[W7-32, T5/6/7/W8, Gina16] everything underused.

jabe wrote:Allowing two programs to open the same file for editing is dodgy, fullstop. You ought to work on a copy of your file and then overwrite the version that Tracktion knows about.
This used to be touted as one of Tracktion's features. You tell T which editor you want to associate with it, then you can open tracks in your editor directly from Tracktion, do your edits, save the file in the editor, and then they would instantly show up in Tracktion. Haven't used this feature myself since T3, but it used to work very well. Nothing really dodgy about it in my opinion, as long as you save in the editor before returning to Tracktion.

bk wrote:
jabe wrote:Allowing two programs to open the same file for editing is dodgy, fullstop. You ought to work on a copy of your file and then overwrite the version that Tracktion knows about.
This used to be touted as one of Tracktion's features. You tell T which editor you want to associate with it, then you can open tracks in your editor directly from Tracktion, do your edits, save the file in the editor, and then they would instantly show up in Tracktion. Haven't used this feature myself since T3, but it used to work very well. Nothing really dodgy about it in my opinion, as long as you save in the editor before returning to Tracktion.
Cheers. I suppose Tracktion must release some control over the file. I just tried it with Audacity and it sort of worked. It lost track of the folder and when I'd browsed to the right place it warned me I was about to overwrite one with the same name.
[W10-64, T5/6/7/W8/9/10/11/12/13, 32(to W8)&64 all, Spike],[W7-32, T5/6/7/W8, Gina16] everything underused.

Return to “Tracktion”