Tracktion 4

Discussion about: tracktion.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Jeepers guys. I was only hoping some folks might have heard some hints. I didn't figure to start one more post-traumatic Tracktion disorder session. Sheesh! :shock:

FWIW, the developers have got to be addressing 3's shortcomings on Mac. They've had access to a year's worth of bile regarding them. You can't piss off half the market.

I think most of us PC users like T3 a lot and just want to see it enhanced. It'd be a shame if it stopped now.
Handy Tip: You can save a bunch of time by knowing how to play the instrument.

That'll teach you, barfwafl. See what you started? There are certain things you just don't discuss with people. You know, religion, politics, abortion, and on this forum, Tracktion.

Oh wait. That's actually...the subject...of this forum.

Hmmm. Let me get back to you on that. :wink:

I think anyone who has used Tracktion for a decent amount of work will keep an eye on its development regardless of where they (user) hang there hat right now. I use a few different apps and I still can't let go of the great workflow in Tracktion. With that said, I think that the most alarming issue for THIS user was the amount of time it took the development team to get a version out that was stable for a majority of the users. I mention it because the issue of stability will probably keep me from being an early adopter next time around. They'll have to work to get quite a few user's respect back.

Personally, I'm looking forward to what a T4 might bring. I'm just not going to hold my breath on it being stable any time soon after its release.

I didn't see anyone getting too upset... just getting talkative! A passionate lot around here. ;)

UncleAge has got it right, though-- a lot of people continue to be interested in Tracktion's development no matter what.

OK.....I'll jump into the fray here. I still use T3 for certain things but I have also recently gone the LogicStudio route after switching from an XP-based machine to a MacBook Pro. T3 seems to do most things OK on the Mac if you don't strain it too hard with gobs of plugs or tracks that have lots of clip edits. Logic on the other hand just plows through roughly three to four times the amount of tracks and especially plugs (including 3rd party) and never seems to break a sweat. But Logic is by no means perfect either and occasionally it will behave oddly, but T3 freaks out way more. I've barked in other threads about my Mac-meets-T3 woes, and I am hopeful that most if not all of the issues I (and other Mac users) have encountered. But it has been quiet around here on the subject of T3 updates and fixes.

A quick review list of T3/Mac issues I've encountered:

1) RPC's ("Random Poof Crashes")

2) Poor CPU performance (my new MacBook Pro has a faster/bigger hard drive, 4GB of faster RAM, a 2.4 Core2Duo, much faster FSB, etc -- my old XP Toshiba had a 3.33 Pentium4, 1 GB of slower RAM, much slower FSB, much smaller and slower hard drive, etc -- and T3 ran better on my old Toshiba with more plugs and tracks and less crashes!!!)

3) Tracks using the Melodyne Plug-in retain edits as they should but when I close and then reopen a project, the Melodyne tracks are always muted on the right side -- this happens every single time in every project on every track. I have resorted to making an MDA Stereo plug preset that puts the audible left half of the clip back in the middle and I turn up the track fader to compensate for the volume loss due to the absence of the right half of the clip. I have contacted Celemony concerning this and they of course blame T3 for the problem citing that they have never encountered this issue with any other DAW. Go figure.)

4) Certain Nomad Factory Blue Tubes V3 plugs crash T3 when I try to save patch settings and try to assign a new name for the new patch. Inconsistent issue here only happens on certain projects.

5) More RPC's.

6) CPU spikes when scrolling through T3. For example: just scrolling from say the 3rd measure to the 40th measure temporarily makes the CPU go into the red.

7) No AU plug support. Not really a bug so much as a mind-boggling oversight for the Mac version of T3. Are there actually any other Mac DAWs that don't offer AU plug support?? Wow. For now I have been using Bidule VST to host AU plugs within T3 (or else I export tracks over to Logic). AU support should be high on Mackie's improvement list for the Mac version. A real no-brainer, all things considered.

8) Yet more RPC's.

9) Weird graphical behavior throughout. Seems like T3's GUI lags and stutters sometimes as if it is struggling to keep up with certain mouse movements.

10) When scrolling quickly through a song, T3's transport display can never keep up. It's as if T3 is trying to process all of the tracks while it is being scrolled through. Mind you, this happens not only while scrolling when T3 is already playing, but this also happens when you are at a dead stop and try to move the playhead around. This was not an issue in XP.

That is the short list as best as I can remember. Not complaining so much as wishing that Mackie will make T3 more Mac friendly. Time will tell of course and I am still hopeful that they will come through for us all in the near future.

Popcorn anyone?
Proprietor of Fine Music and Hot Sauce...

www.theFPband.blogspot.com

The only thing that would make me jump ship on tracktion (2) would the need to upgrade, and I haven't found myself needing to do that for five years (!). If I upgraded I'd need stability with dual-core support, and though the last version was better, I need stuff rock-solid. Had enough of instability after win98se.
I think the world expects stability out of the box now, and some get that with t3 - but a lot don't, as yet.
m@

AD80 wrote:Tracktion Rulez. That is all.
Dream on.

No fanboy here, but T3 is damn' stable on windows now.
The only drawback is that f****** drop midi first note ... that lasts from T1.
But it still the most productive DAW for me.

Well - there are bugs in other sequencers - but rather minor bugs or bugs that do not have impact on the recording or projects/sessions :< Like - loosing edits (!!) having to get back to earlier edits (loosing hours and hours of work) - i have this often on two independent WinXP PCs, problems with archiving (massive) etc.
Despite that - im still a fan, but ... :)
kisses

I could say a whole lotta shit about how I'll never come back to Tracktion no matter what they do...but it's just that bullshit :lol:

I'll buy version 4,5,6....it's like crack, the workflow is addictive.
Play what you feel and feel what you play.

warp x wrote:
Dream on.
Phuk off. :tu:

1)Random Poof Crash : When choosing the tracktion plug "DSR", Tracktion goes poof as soon as I select the plug-in

I have the most updated cersion of Tracktion

AD80 wrote:
warp x wrote:
Dream on.
Phuk off. :tu:
right back at ya :D

infiniteB wrote: I have the most updated cersion of Tracktion
is a cersion a cursed version? ;)

JK--

Seriously, though, if this happens to you every time, it's not an RPC and could be reported with as much detail as you have on how to reproduce it (ie. what else is in your edit of note, system specs). That's up to you of course. ;)

Mauvehead wrote:7) No AU plug support. Not really a bug so much as a mind-boggling oversight for the Mac version of T3. Are there actually any other Mac DAWs that don't offer AU plug support?? Wow. For now I have been using Bidule VST to host AU plugs within T3 (or else I export tracks over to Logic). AU support should be high on Mackie's improvement list for the Mac version. A real no-brainer, all things considered.
I thought this was a compatibility decision, so that Tracktion projects could be shared between Mac and PC - the same reason they left out DirectX support. I could be wrong, though.
the old free version may not work boots successfully on new generations of computers, instruments, and hardware

Return to “Tracktion”