Would you buy a new version of Tracktion if it were released?

Discussion about: tracktion.com

Would you prepay for a new version of Tracktion if it were crowdsourced?

Poll ended at Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:25 pm

Yes
85%
No
15%

Total votes: 112

RELATED
PRODUCTS

SO, I can't edit the poll title, but consider it changed to 'would you buy a new version of tracktion if it came out?'.
Jules has only recently (and after the poll was deployed) indicated that Something nebulous and nefarious is in the works, maybe, and that there's no need for crowdsourcing.
Regardless, please show your support (or not-support) for a new version by voting here.
WHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE.
M@#

[OLD TEXT]Inspired by the T4 thread (http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=365561)-

I'm interested in getting a feel for how many people would be willing to prepay full price (let's assume a full price of $70 seeing as that was the upgrade price for T3) for a new version of Tracktion, were it to be handed back to Jules (the original developer of Tracktion before Mackie's takeover).

It's clear that a lot of us just can't move on, because Tracktion's spoiled us, in terms of workflow.

(I have spoken to him, over email in the past, and he indicated an interest, at least at the time - he may not be interested now).

My main point for doing this is to establish how much ground-level support there is still - if only a handful of people care, it's not going to be worth it for anybody to develop - on the other hand, if we could get a thousand 'yes' votes - well - Jules or Mackie might think twice.

But before they even think about crowdsourcing, we'd need to convince them that it's possible.

In this thread you can also discuss what you would require as base features of the new (entirely hypothetical and not in any way guaranteed) Tracktion. I'm going to start with proper multi-core support, 64-bit support and support up to Windows 8. Also all the bugs mentioned in the bugs thread would have to be cornered and shot (http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=265049).

For me, anything else is just cake. I don't need it. Just a fully-functioning, modern version of what we currently have.

Also, if you feel $70 would be too much, please vote yes anyway but post and state what you feel would be reasonable and why. Discussion is great, if useless in the sense that this is a fantasy. Another possibility is that half could be paid for the crowdsourcing ($35) and half at completion - essentially giving you a 'half-off' coupon, as well as a heavy discount on eventual retail cost. If this appeals to you, vote yes, then state it in the thread.

Lastly, I'm not doing any leg-work in terms of spreading the knowledge of this poll around - please contact others, other forums, whatever, and get folk who might in interested in a new version of tracktion involved.
In 100 days, I'll take the results and forward them onto Jule and Mackie - unless there's no support. Godspeed.[/OLD TEXT]
Last edited by metamorphosis on Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:32 pm, edited 3 times in total.

$70? I'd pay $100, maybe more :D

Totally in. Mad love for Tracktion, would love to see it rise from the ashes.

:)
ABLETON LIVE 12 & PUSH2
Soundcloud: Nation of Korea vs Shitty Dog

Yes, best host ever in terms of interfaces. Mackie's neglect of it is scandalous.

I'd jump in that pool were it to go back into the hands of Jules.

I'd check with Jules again, got the distinct impression he'd lost interest in Tracktion towards the end. Probably why he sold his 'baby' off in the first place.

But all speculation, I voted yes as a working, modern version would be ripping. Can I add decent timestetch to the list? I know it was improved in 3 but that version was just so unstable for me as to be unusable.

OH GOD YES!!!

I have used them all (programs that is) and NONE are as good as Tracktion - Pro Tools included.

Thanks "metamorphosis" for ALL we can hope for
Carmen Sorge
Sorge Sound Studios
www.sorgestudios.com
(905) 834-9898

Oh, yeah. I'd be "in" for sure, but only if the bendy arrows come back! (j/k)

On a more serious note: The choice of developer would be paramount to getting my money in advance, especially if Mackie are involved. If Jules was working *with* Mackie, that would be acceptable. If developed by some nameless, faceless individual at Mackie, they would have to present a finished product that I could demo before they would get any money from me.

In my opinion, the OP got it right: A fully functioning, currently compatible, bug-free software is what's needed, not a complete rewrite with new whiz bang features and third party plugins.

Maybe I'm naive, here, but it seems like a lot of the groundwork would have already been done by Jules in the current version of JUCE? Not saying it would be an easy task, at all, just saying...

It's true! Groundhogs never die. They just hibernate!

T4? I say: Hell Yeah! Let's party like it's 2005.
perception: the stuff reality is made of.

mandolarian wrote:It's true! Groundhogs never die. They just hibernate!

T4? I say: Hell Yeah! Let's party like it's 2005.
Indeed. I thought it was time to bring the little fella back! :)

Count me in :)

I'd love to see a bug-free up-to-date Tracktion - it's probably the only thing that could possibly tempt me away from Reaper now. However, if Mackie are in any way involved, then no thanks. They were quite happy to sell me (and many others) a full-price DAW that had known problems that they never did anything about, were very cagey about not admitting that they had given up on Tracktion and continued to sell it long after it was dead. They will never get another penny from me.

I'd do it. I'd want to get rid of the 3rd-party limitware, though. Some well-chosen Tracktion-developed and Tracktion-specific plugins would be great and probably mandatory (see Studio One as an example), but I'd almost rather have nothing than have to deal with all the separate licensing with DrumCore, Garritan, IK, and Cronos. If it were a "bare" DAW, though, I'd expect it to be a bit less than $70.
Win10 Pro 64, Clevo P750DM3, i7-7700, 32GB, nVidia GTX1060, 500GB/500GB/1TB SSD, PreSonus Quantum 2 Thunderbolt, Waveform 10

njon6 wrote:I'd jump in that pool were it to go back into the hands of Jules.
Give me "Wobbly Arrows" and ill pay £200!! :)
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Croak-Dilemmas/ ... MMAS+CROAK

I7 3770K, Asus P8Z77 V PRO, WIN 7 HP.
T1/2/3/4/5/6.

rlindsey0 wrote:I'd do it. I'd want to get rid of the 3rd-party limitware, though. Some well-chosen Tracktion-developed and Tracktion-specific plugins would be great and probably mandatory (see Studio One as an example), but I'd almost rather have nothing than have to deal with all the separate licensing with DrumCore, Garritan, IK, and Cronos. If it were a "bare" DAW, though, I'd expect it to be a bit less than $70.
Amen. The sounds on Sampletank were great for the money.
I still use it to this day.
But the registration was total white knuckle.
We just need a swish, lean, mean, bug free, platform/host. I actually bought another 2006 imac the other day so i can continue to run T3. I'm stuck in 2006. Microsoft pulling XP support has me worried though.

Soon i'll start pointing at my imac and doing a Nigel Tufnell.
"No, it can never be played"
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Croak-Dilemmas/ ... MMAS+CROAK

I7 3770K, Asus P8Z77 V PRO, WIN 7 HP.
T1/2/3/4/5/6.

Id pay as much as the others DAW companies charge for a new version. So I guess thats between $60 - $500. If Jules is working on a new DAW and if thats the NAMM 2012 secret, Id pay top dollar. The perfect DAW is all the cool, productive features the others have with Tracktions GUI. Like Beat Detective in PT's, etc...

Return to “Tracktion”