T4 Requests

Discussion about: tracktion.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Spitfire31 wrote:My guess is that he has something much sexier than a T3+ under wraps and that any current preoccupation with T3 bugs will be shown to be null and void. Whatever he's going to spring on us will likely have little to do with Mackie's mess.
I doubt it. Obviously tracktion forum has changed and taken out the word mackie. Jules has posted, since what, '07?

Put two and two together, man! Tracktion will return!

valley wrote:I see what you're saying, but my thinking is this:

assuming (which I am) we are looking at Jules working on exactly what people were asking for, I.E. a cleaned up, fixed up T3 that is modern OS friendly, scales to more than a few logical processors, and doesn't drop the ball when under load, VST bugs are a very specific case.

Most bugs with VSTs happen because either the host, or the plugin is making dodgy assumptions. Most usually this simply means special case code in either the plug or the host to handle differences from one pairing to another. (Naively correcting behaviour to make one partner happy will simply break another).

Any plugs that don't work in T3 are unlikely to behave in a theoretical T4 unless a special effort has been made to make them work. My point was that because a lot of people have moved on, we probably don't have a good sense of how many newer plugs break Tracktion. Once upon a time developers might have been testing against T. I can't imaging many bothering now, can you? It's quite likely that newer plugins simply don't work well.

The major, none plug related bugs, hopefully will just be fixed as part of Jules bringing his significant skills to the codebase.

I know what you're saying - I'm an ex-programmer - but 3 things -
1. There's only 4 plugin bugs mentioned in T3.0.48, from all the reports on this forum, over the past ? number of years since it's been released. If there were, say 20, I'd say split it. Otherwise, please don't. There's a greater likelihood of those bugs getting fixed in a new T, if they're in a consolidated thread. That's part of the point of the thread, along with giving users an easy place to find expected bugs and bug workarounds.
2. We don't know if there's a new tracktion.
3. We don't know if a new tracktion will use the same codebase, and testing is pointless until it comes out.

If you want to start investigating modern plugs with T3, and you find, say, 10-20 that have problems that can't be replicated in other hosts, PM me, and we'll talk about splitting it.
Cheers-
Matt

Couple of things..

When I first started using the Tracktion 1 beta, I expressed my concern to Jules regarding the future of the program. I had used Opcode's Studio Vision Pro before Gibson bought it and did the same thing Mackie seems to have done with Tracktion. He said that if he ever gave up working on Tracktion he would release it as open source. I don't fault him at all for selling, but I really hope he picks it up again. It seems like it would be painful to watch your love-child go neglected.

Secondly, the bendy arrows are very cool, but when you have a lot of inputs, they become unusable. With more than 30 or so floating around overlapping each other it is impractical to find the one you want.

Spitfire31 wrote:
valley wrote:…assuming (which I am) we are looking at Jules working on exactly what people were asking for, I.E. a cleaned up, fixed up T3 that is modern OS friendly, scales to more than a few logical processors, and doesn't drop the ball when under load, VST bugs are a very specific case.
But I am assuming that presenting a cleaned-up T3 wouldn't be anything to make a big noise about at NAMM.

I think that your reasoning is much too constricted and that you're massively underestimating Jules.

My guess is that he has something much sexier than a T3+ under wraps and that any current preoccupation with T3 bugs will be shown to be null and void. Whatever he's going to spring on us will likely have little to do with Mackie's mess.

IMHO.

/Joachim

hm... you seem entirely unaware of the high probability that if anyone knows anything in regards to what Jules may or may not be working on, then it's the very guy you are attempting to lecture here. ;)
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

^^^^^^
This. Exactly!

I really like the Media bay in Reaper, and would love to see the loop browser in T become something a little more open and flexible like this. In Reaper, I particularly love being able to audition midi clips and have them play through whatever vst is on the currently selected track, at the correct tempo and so on. There are several popular daw I've come across that don't do that and I always find it annoying!
Music is something you DO. Spend time, not money.
http://www.myspace.com/skipkent
http://soundcloud.com/skipkent

jens wrote: hm... you seem entirely unaware of the high probability that if anyone knows anything in regards to what Jules may or may not be working on, then it's the very guy you are attempting to lecture here. ;)
Hmmmm.

http://www.rawmaterialsoftware.com/view ... =30#p57838
The stuff I'm working on for NAMM isn't a solo endeavour, it's just something that turned up recently.
Curiouser and curiouser.

:)
ABLETON LIVE 12 & PUSH2
Soundcloud: Nation of Korea vs Shitty Dog

Rock wrote:
Secondly, the bendy arrows are very cool, but when you have a lot of inputs, they become unusable. With more than 30 or so floating around overlapping each other it is impractical to find the one you want.
I think you're referring to the rack inputs and output.

The swoopy arrows are...different.

Think swoopier.

*Way* swoopier.

:hihi:

Then again, you may well not have it wrong. I've never had to deal with more than a few inputs myself. I could see 30 or more getting a bit out of hand!
Music is something you DO. Spend time, not money.
http://www.myspace.com/skipkent
http://soundcloud.com/skipkent

My biggest request (apart from x64 support) would be for it to be possible to record an instrument track direct to audio - in fact this should be one of the routings possible in the rack - instrument to audio record.

aMUSEd wrote:My biggest request (apart from x64 support) would be for it to be possible to record an instrument track direct to audio - in fact this should be one of the routings possible in the rack - instrument to audio record.
That's a good request & I +1.

skipkent wrote:[
Then again, you may well not have it wrong. I've never had to deal with more than a few inputs myself. I could see 30 or more getting a bit out of hand!
The most I've ever had is ten active, and even there the bendy arrows could get messy.

The Mackie style inputs could stand some cosmetic work though. They manage to be cluttered whilst still appearing very blah, and the four input layout just highlights how badly that design scales too.
Someone shot the food. Remember: don't shoot food!

I think honestly, the FR that would be most useful to me on a day to day basis, rather than just being a WANT IT feature (of which I have many) would be if the auto-merging behaviour of collection clips could be made optional.

I abuse collection clips as pseudo clips, but unless I'm careful to keep clips trimmed such that they don't quite end on a snap point, the next pasted clip will just be consumed by the first. For the way I work, I almost never want that behaviour.
Someone shot the food. Remember: don't shoot food!

Hell yes! I'd pay for any kind of Jules inspired upgrade to Tracktion. Been a user since 1.?. Nothing has ever replaced it for me. Still using it with 64bit Win 7 and it's pretty stable. The workflow simply works for me and I only have a few minor niggles. One thing I'd love is the option to set a count in for the first pass of a loop record.
'He craved immortality so much, he was prepared to die for it.'

request: I'd like to see some advanced midi quantising features. For example, I play a piano part, and each chord has a natural arpegio or spacing between each note. I'd like to select a group of notes that is a chord, press a shortcut key and it would move the chord so that the peak of the chord hits the beat without breaking the spacing of the notes in the chord.

aMUSEd wrote:My biggest request (apart from x64 support) would be for it to be possible to record an instrument track direct to audio - in fact this should be one of the routings possible in the rack - instrument to audio record.
Not quite understanding the difference between this and rendering a track?
Surely if there's some 'live' instrument tweaking going on while recording this can be recorded as automation, then render the track?
Unless I've entirely got the wronger end of the stick.

Return to “Tracktion”