PRODUCTS

If....
I will see
I will analizae...
and probably
I will buy...
Se non é vero, é ben trovato
PC/XP 2CoreIntel T3 OnixSatellite

Another thing would be a general upgrade of the included effects. A wetter, swooshier Chorus more like an old Boss pedal would be some fine!
Music is something you DO. Spend time, not money.
http://www.myspace.com/skipkent
http://soundcloud.com/skipkent

metamorphosis wrote:
aMUSEd wrote:My biggest request (apart from x64 support) would be for it to be possible to record an instrument track direct to audio - in fact this should be one of the routings possible in the rack - instrument to audio record.
Not quite understanding the difference between this and rendering a track?
Surely if there's some 'live' instrument tweaking going on while recording this can be recorded as automation, then render the track?
Unless I've entirely got the wronger end of the stick.
The difference is that aMUSEd's request is a live recording, whereas rendering is a post performance option.

There is a middle ground here, and that's one of the little plugins that will record an audio stream to a separate file, while one is in the process of performing a part. Tape-It I believe was the name of one of the plugins. Ah yes, here it is here:
http://www.silverspike.com/?Products:TapeIt

aMUSEd is asking for this as a direct function in Tracktion. I've been a Tape-It user in the past and yes it is useful. I think there was another one called 'pre-roll recorder' if I'm not mistaken. There are some hosts that provide this functionality included in the base features of the host, but since I've not looked past Tracktion for my DAW, I can't name one directly.

I only request that it be available for download before Feb. 4th...

No need to rush things. This old groundhog has more patience than talent, anyways, so whenever it's ready, it's ready, with whatever features are required to pull me out of my underground bunker of Mackienforced despair.
perception: the stuff reality is made of.

rockstar_not wrote:
metamorphosis wrote:
aMUSEd wrote:My biggest request (apart from x64 support) would be for it to be possible to record an instrument track direct to audio - in fact this should be one of the routings possible in the rack - instrument to audio record.
Surely if there's some 'live' instrument tweaking going on while recording this can be recorded as automation, then render the track?
The difference is that aMUSEd's request is a live recording, whereas rendering is a post performance option.

There is a middle ground here, and that's one of the little plugins that will record an audio stream to a separate file, while one is in the process of performing a part. Tape-It I believe was the name of one of the plugins. Ah yes, here it is here:

aMUSEd is asking for this as a direct function in Tracktion. I've been a Tape-It user in the past and yes it is useful. I think there was another one called 'pre-roll recorder' if I'm not mistaken. There are some hosts that provide this functionality included in the base features of the host, but since I've not looked past Tracktion for my DAW, I can't name one directly.
Don't understand why automation recording + rendering wouldn't be equally appropriate, still.

metamorphosis wrote:
rockstar_not wrote:
metamorphosis wrote:

Don't understand why automation recording + rendering wouldn't be equally appropriate, still.
Rendering is a time consuming post-performance option. To route an output audio stream from a track, to an audio recording on a new track is a huge time saver. Does that now make sense?

Tape-It is equivalent somewhat to a render process since you have to go back and load the .wav file back into the project. All aMUSEd is asking for, and many folks back in the day, is to be able to use the output audio stream from one track, as an input on a separate track - it's 'realtime rendering'. There's a more appropriate term for it but I forget what it is.

If you want to accomplish something along those lines and are using osx, you can with Sound Flower. It's an alternative driver that fortunately allows you to push anything on the outputs back to the inputs. Just turn off e-to-e on the input so you don't get any feedback. No reloading exported files.. dunno about an equivalent one on the PC.
ModuLR / Radio

BTW, then you can do cool stuff like... set a clip to loop, hit record, tweak the effects while it's looping. Notice, the input is recording "takes." You can then comp them together in unique ways. Much easier doing it this way, than rendering your recording/midi with automation, slicing, and lining everything back up. Granted different strokes for different folks, but there is merit to being able to record the outputs in real time.
ModuLR / Radio

Melodyne ARA would be cool!

We might not want to discuss merits/lack thereof of any particular request in this thread too deeply. Might be better to break those out in new threads, unless of course a given request already exists, flat-out, exactly as described.
Music is something you DO. Spend time, not money.
http://www.myspace.com/skipkent
http://soundcloud.com/skipkent

mr wrote:If....
I will see
I will analizae...
and probably
I will buy...
I had a bad sleep last night... remorse... anxiety..
I change my mind

If....
I will see
I will analyze...
and for sure
I will buy...
Se non é vero, é ben trovato
PC/XP 2CoreIntel T3 OnixSatellite

This is possible in Reaper and AudioMulch.
I really like capturing performances as audio and moving on!

rockstar_not wrote: Rendering is a time consuming post-performance option. To route an output audio stream from a track, to an audio recording on a new track is a huge time saver. Does that now make sense?

Tape-It is equivalent somewhat to a render process since you have to go back and load the .wav file back into the project.
That's more time-consuming than rendering, which doesn't take long and renders into a track on the edit.
I can't admit to seeing how being able to redirect input to another track is any different from routing, which has the same effect.
I think the only real difference between what you're describing and the tracktion way of doing it is that one way seems more intuitive, but isn't any faster, whereas recording automation is more useful- unless you're wanting to record multiple different takes.

metamorphosis wrote:
rockstar_not wrote: Rendering is a time consuming post-performance option. To route an output audio stream from a track, to an audio recording on a new track is a huge time saver. Does that now make sense?

Tape-It is equivalent somewhat to a render process since you have to go back and load the .wav file back into the project.
That's more time-consuming than rendering, which doesn't take long and renders into a track on the edit.
I can't admit to seeing how being able to redirect input to another track is any different from routing, which has the same effect.
I think the only real difference between what you're describing and the tracktion way of doing it is that one way seems more intuitive, but isn't any faster, whereas recording automation is more useful- unless you're wanting to record multiple different takes.
TapeIt is a half-kluge to aMUSEd's request. I found it less time consuming than rendering on some machines because it works in realtime as you record.

However, the request is simply to record the audio output of whatever signal chain exists on one track, directly to audio on another track. Simple, no rendering time, no going and grabbing audio and importing it into the project, etc.

Winstontaneous wrote:
This is possible in Reaper and AudioMulch.
I really like capturing performances as audio and moving on!
Exactly.

Return to “Tracktion”