T4 & windows xp

Discussion about: tracktion.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I don't mean to start a pissing match about OS's, but XP is 12 years old and will not be supported by MS within the year (IIRC).

Have you considered upgrading to windows8? Takes about 15 minutes to install, and (for me at least), it's been bloody fantastic. Faster too.
Compatibility with older software is surprisingly good, if that's what's holding you back.

RE: Your error/Quicktime/etc
http://www.consumingexperience.com/2007 ... ssing.html

I hope it's not that, as that looks like no fun at all.

Good luck!

I'm still using XP as well, and I'm not alone.

A recent poll here: http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=370565 shows that nearly 1/4 of Tracktion users want to run it in XP.
Another 1/3 want to run it in Win 7.

Upgrading your OS is always a compromise. You will gain access to new features and software, but you will also lose access to software that may be important to your workflow. There may be driver issues. My hardware interface is OLD. I'm not even sure if a driver for Win 8 exists for it. If everything is running smoothly for you, and all the software you want to use is working properly, there's little reason to change it.

It's a balancing act. Once the benefits outweigh the detriments, I'll switch. Until then, I'm not.

Actually, there's evidence elsewhere in this forum that for at least one user, T4 runs better for him in XP than in Win 7. :shrug:

addj wrote:I don't mean to start a pissing match about OS's, but XP is 12 years old and will not be supported by MS within the year (IIRC).

Have you considered upgrading to windows8? Takes about 15 minutes to install, and (for me at least), it's been bloody fantastic. Faster too.
Compatibility with older software is surprisingly good, if that's what's holding you back.
No, Win8 is Not faster. Or particularly compatible.
I use it at work.
Compared to XP it's a slippery greyhound running on mustard.
XP actually has some traction (ha, see what I did there.).

I'm not quite sure why you and people like you believe that people should upgrade for the sake of it, regardless of whether there are technical or task-based benefits to doing so for the given individual or business.
A lack of 'support' doesn't actually mean much, bar the fact that any security holes that haven't been spotted in the LAST 12 YEARS might be violable.
Because XP was the first Windows OS to be actually stable (like OSX was for Mac) a lot of people stick with it.
40% of the desktop market in fact.
http://www.netmarketshare.com/operating ... pcustomd=0

That and it's fast, lightweight, and can be streamlined down to a 370MB install with no issues. Whereas Win8 is a 20GB base install...

There has never been anything technical in Vista, 7, or 8 that made me desire to upgrade, but there are plenty of bad UI decisions which make me not want to. Stuff that violates first principles.

Once people like yourself get it into your heads that new != better and old != better, maybe you'll start evaluating products based on their intrinsic value and technical characteristics rather than glittery marketing and buzzwords.
In the meantime, I'll be sticking with XP because it works, and unlike Vista, 7 and 8, it doesn't throw a lot of dumb shit and bloat in the way of doing what I need to get done.

The retards in marketing believe they can get you to buy a new OS every three years. The market hasn't responded the way they've wanted for the past 6 years. Maybe when they decide to make something that matches what users want, and is productivity-focused rather than something that's graphics-focused (which a graphic designer spun through a centrifuge), you'll get some market shift. Maybe when they make something good and lightweight, they'll get some traction. Not from me, yet...

headquest wrote:Any ideas about that?
*bump*
Nothing like that here with XP and sp3 - have you tried a reinstall?
D Scarlatti, Dell XPS8700 i7/8gb mem/1tb hd/Steiny UR22/Presonus ER5s/Nektar LX61 kbd ctrlr/Win 10 Pro/S1 4.6/ my music here: https://www.magix.info/us/profile/my-profile/media/

Not that this is particularly relevant to Tracktion yet (no 64 bit version YET), but i'd run win7 or win8 just for 64 bit compatibility/more available memory personally. And because I find win7 much nicer to use than XP, which is entirely subjective.

I can see the benefit of sticking with XP if it works great for you, but I couldn't go back to it now, and as software moves on, less and less new software will run well on 32 bit XP (unfortunately).
"my gosh it's a friggin hardware"

metamorphosis wrote:
addj wrote:I don't mean to start a pissing match about OS's, but XP is 12 years old and will not be supported by MS within the year (IIRC).

No, Win8 is Not faster. Or particularly compatible.
I use it at work.
Compared to XP it's a slippery greyhound running on mustard.
XP actually has some traction (ha, see what I did there.).

I'm not quite sure why you and people like you believe that people should upgrade for the sake of it, regardless of whether there are technical or task-based benefits to doing so for the given individual or business.
A lack of 'support' doesn't actually mean much, bar the fact that any security holes that haven't been spotted in the LAST 12 YEARS might be violable.
Because XP was the first Windows OS to be actually stable (like OSX was for Mac) a lot of people stick with it.
40% of the desktop market in fact.
http://www.netmarketshare.com/operating ... pcustomd=0

That and it's fast, lightweight, and can be streamlined down to a 370MB install with no issues. Whereas Win8 is a 20GB base install...

There has never been anything technical in Vista, 7, or 8 that made me desire to upgrade, but there are plenty of bad UI decisions which make me not want to. Stuff that violates first principles.

Once people like yourself get it into your heads that new != better and old != better, maybe you'll start evaluating products based on their intrinsic value and technical characteristics rather than glittery marketing and buzzwords.
In the meantime, I'll be sticking with XP because it works, and unlike Vista, 7 and 8, it doesn't throw a lot of dumb shit and bloat in the way of doing what I need to get done.

The retards in marketing believe they can get you to buy a new OS every three years. The market hasn't responded the way they've wanted for the past 6 years. Maybe when they decide to make something that matches what users want, and is productivity-focused rather than something that's graphics-focused (which a graphic designer spun through a centrifuge), you'll get some market shift. Maybe when they make something good and lightweight, they'll get some traction. Not from me, yet...
Not to mention older equipment not having drivers available on Win7-8-etc...
When moving to the so-called NEW OS also means new hardware then it means the NEW OS better be really @#$#^@ good.

Oooh, good, another person with Spike. What did you do your drums with? Thanks.
Last edited by jabe on Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[W10-64, T5/6/7/W8/9/10/11/12/13, 32(to W8)&64 all, Spike],[W7-32, T5/6/7/W8, Gina16] everything underused.

I write this post on my Win2000 setup.
I love it.
I also love XP for my music computer.

I also have (we have 8 computers at home) Win7.... not a fan.

Yes I will upgrade someday but I'm in no rush.

:x

I want to echo the problem with win 7/8 drivers. I have some expensive external audio interfaces and they work very well, but there are no windows 7/8 drivers available. Hence, my music PC is XP. The pc I am writing this on is windows 8, but it would be no use as my music pc because of the driver issue!

I love Trackion 2 and just find it so intuitive to use, the only failing I ever found was the limited midi editing; and btw the eq with the four rotary controllers is inspired!

I still use Tracktion but also swutched to Sonar X2 - which has just dropped XP support so I guess that serves me right! I look forward to using a new verson of Trackion.

I just got the news. I have been running T3 on my PC (under XP SP3) with the Mackie 1640i. Trying to use Waves plugs thru Automap and other crazy workarounds for more RAM and unsupported plugins. Still my favorite DAW, this is great news!!! I have been learning Logic on my MAC, so the fact that I can put T4 there, is good news also! I am so happy it has been saved, it is a great, easy to use system (just try manually lining up your timing and other file edits as quickly in Logic). Its all on one page. Thanks again! :D

chico.co.uk wrote:Not that this is particularly relevant to Tracktion yet (no 64 bit version YET), but i'd run win7 or win8 just for 64 bit compatibility/more available memory personally.
There's always xp x64 (most things you can find XP drivers for, will have xp x64 drivers). Albeit, not as well-supported as win7 x64. I grant you that most things will eventually move onto x64 exclusively -
on the other hand, I have 3.6GB usable ram under XP x86, and fail to see how having more would benefit me (unless I ran large sample libraries).

chico.co.uk wrote:And because I find win7 much nicer to use than XP, which is entirely subjective.
Not entirely - some aspects, such as familiarity, and aesthetics, are subjective (but objectively predetermined) - that's why MS aped a lot of OSX's features in Vista/7 (changing the taskbar to a 'dock' style, changing the explorer to use mac-style diamond-openings instead of '+' trees, changing the look to 'glass') - to bring in mac users for whom those things are familiar, and thereby 'more intuitive'.
But from an objective perspective they ruined a lot of things that made windows uniquely superior (in areas) from a user interface design perspective.

Bruce Tognazzini, one of the original Mac designers, blasted the dock interface and various OSX features because they were objectively, crap from a user interface design perspective. It ignored a lot of user interface research that showed, for example, that people identify applications or documents faster, when they have both a textual description and an icon or image.
This is why the 'upgrade' from xp to win7's 'dock'-style taskbar is a downgrade - it hugely slows down your ability to identify and thereby accurately switch between applications or documents. This affect is greater the greater number of applications or documents you have open. It's also a reason why osx's dock is total rubbish from a OS ui design perspective (I'll refrain from some of the other issues for the moment). From a graphic design perspective it's great - very pretty. But those two things are completely separate. And that's the problem.
That's just a singular example, just to demonstrate that it's not about what you're familiar with, or aesthetics.

It took me 3 weeks to learn logic audio and half an hour to learn tracktion - even though tracktion doesn't use the typical 'hardware'-based visual metaphors, and was less familiar. Why? More intuitive and better UI design.

Anyway, if you want to learn more, I suggest reading books on the subject - there's a lot to learn, and I've only scratched the surface with two examples. You could counter them, but there's not much point - it's a much broader field than that.

chico.co.uk wrote:I can see the benefit of sticking with XP if it works great for you, but I couldn't go back to it now, and as software moves on, less and less new software will run well on 32 bit XP (unfortunately).
Both true and unfortunate, but only as true and unfortunate as people chose it to be.

Sorry, but that's still mostly subjective. The "dock" in win 7 doesn't slow me down compared to the task bar in xp, no matter who wrote what after designing something. Telling me that's objective fact is just daft. I don't mind if you use xp, and prefer it, I don't. Win 7 gives me a better user experience, no matter who wrote what where.
"my gosh it's a friggin hardware"

jabe wrote:Oooh, good, another person with Spike. What did you do your drums with? Thanks.
I also have a Line 6 UX8. I did my drums with 7 microphones.
8)

Ah, real drums, and well played! That accounts for a lot. Thank you.

Oh, I listened to all your tracks. Nice work!
[W10-64, T5/6/7/W8/9/10/11/12/13, 32(to W8)&64 all, Spike],[W7-32, T5/6/7/W8, Gina16] everything underused.

jabe wrote:Ah, real drums, and well played! That accounts for a lot. Thank you.

Oh, I listened to all your tracks. Nice work!
Thanx jabe.

Return to “Tracktion”