No Linux ??? (from the maker of Juce ???)

Discussion about: tracktion.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

TSC wrote:Not long to wait :)
That would be utterly utterly cool! :tu: :D :clap:
"Ubuntu Studio 16.04 with KXStudio"

Just curious about the copy protection ? I reinstall Ubuntu every 6 months and I know T4 counts installs , is there gonna be a way around this with the Linux version or will T4 go to more of a keyfile system where it doesnt identify your machine id ect etc . ???

fedexnman wrote:Just curious about the copy protection ? I reinstall Ubuntu every 6 months and I know T4 counts installs , is there gonna be a way around this with the Linux version or will T4 go to more of a keyfile system where it doesnt identify your machine id ect etc . ???
Inst there a way to "un-license" the old machine? Some do this quite nicely, you just go to the site de-authorize the old PCs and authorize new ones.

But key file is the best one IMO.

Personally they shouldnt care to much, if things get popular they get cracked anyway (unless they use exotic HW dongles so...) and according to the other forums it is already popular enough, so it is usually just losing time IMO...

ABLETON LIVE 12 & PUSH2
Soundcloud: Nation of Korea vs Shitty Dog

interesting,

i don't own tracktion and i'm using linux ubuntu only for my internet needs atm, i think that the major linux distributors are doing a very good job.

ubuntu 12.4.lts 2 is working very well! :D

t3toooo wrote:interesting,

i don't own tracktion and i'm using linux ubuntu only for my internet needs atm, i think that the major linux distributors are doing a very good job.

ubuntu 12.4.lts 2 is working very well! :D
The new one, 13.04, is better in every single way.

Hi,

It's a good news as I plan to completelly switch from OSX to Ubuntu, tired of silly Apple margins and prices, but can .vst or .au format plugins work under Linux ?
If not, it will be hard to find Linux compatible plugins.

Thanks, didn't know that.

Edit: Nevermind

I understand that some people do use Linux and want Tracktion run their OS. So it will do soon, as TSC state on their homepage... Nice...

My fear is that new features which are urgently needed to stay in competition will be neglected to serve a minority. Please don't misunderstand me: it is absolutely ok that Linux users should get their DAW - but first TSC should think about earning money - and this will happen to convince many new customers / musicians of (switching to) Tracktion with new features to build a "really" DAW on Mac & MC, the main operating systems - and iron out the bugs there.
There is sooo much to do, f.e. video playback and editing is not seriously doable in T4 (that's a problem in T4, not my hardware (full powered Mac Book Pro)). There is no warp editing, no transient detection, no slicing, no better on-board-effects, and so much more in order to use T4 as the "only one". So I get a little bit angry when reading that Jules is wasting his programming time with Linux. Sorry, I know I will not make friends with this statement, but that's my opinion. DAW Market is tough and very rapid in development. I have the fear TSC will dissipate their energies...
Lost in Music...

Never fear - we have plenty of game changing features in the works - we move at light speed compared to 'bigger companies' :)
Tracktion Software Corporation

TSC wrote:Never fear - we have plenty of game changing features in the works - we move at light speed compared to 'bigger companies' :)

wow.... quick reply. thank you for the answer. I hope it will happen soon. At the moment I still have to work mainly with the competition because of the features T4 still lacks :(

And the video problem is still in place...

Will there be something new this month?
Last edited by mfkne on Tue May 14, 2013 4:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lost in Music...

Oh - and plenty of solid incremental/evolutionary improvements too.... keep adding your feature requests here:http://www.tracktion.com/support/feature-request
Tracktion Software Corporation

Earning money, I think that is what they are trying to do, from Linux users :wink:

The problems with features is that must of them wont serve everybody, eg, I really dont care for video playback (and even then I think that it is possible to have video playback in linux anyway :wink: , if it supports jack I am sure of that, not sure if it is just Alsa or other).

But should I be angry if you request video payback? If it supports LASPA fx ( it think I saw it somewhere) on Linux will also be very well served of many good and free fx, maybe you should give a try of Linux as it may get what you want sooner :D

Anyway doing sooner take less effort than down the road, and I am used to ear that the less OS specific the code is, the less bug prone is too (of OS specific bugs that is), and certainly better to keep compatibility with Windows/Mac updates. Also inferring from the previous answers it may be the case they are actually updating all the code to JUCE, that mean rewriting outdated code for newer standards, that will be good for all platforms IMO.

Sure some stuff need to be updated as fast a possible IMO too (midi and audio editing and a smal synth for the rack would be my main requests) but from what I have seen it seems they really know what they are doing with good planning.

Return to “Tracktion”