T5 Wiki (videos, tutorials, etc) - input required

Discussion about: tracktion.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

There is now a Tracktion Wiki page. It has just been mentioned on the Tracktion forum by one of the TSC people.

I've set up a basic set of headers for the English version. I've emailed support to ask if it's okay to paste the T4 manuals into it. I don't know whether it will accept the images from the manual. As I write, informative content is currently nil.

It needs input. The first section is for user-written tutorials. If you want to describe how to use a feature, whether new or old, please register and add some content. If you don't want to register, feel free to PM me and I'll add it for you.

Perhaps over time the T4 manuals and the new added input can be melded into a T5 manual.

Please note that on Wiki sites you need to be very thick-skinned when it comes to having your words edited.

English version: http://wiki.tracktion.com/index.php?tit ... on_English
The site address is: http://wiki.tracktion.com/index.php?title=Main_Page
Last edited by jabe on Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:19 pm, edited 4 times in total.
[W10-64, T5/6/7/W8/9/10/11/12/13, 32(to W8)&64 all, Spike],[W7-32, T5/6/7/W8, Gina16] everything underused.

That was quick! Yes I guess step one would be to incorporate the T4 manual and relevant video resources, step 2 to identify which bits need updating and step 3 to organise getting that done.

^^Bump^^, as they say.

Two videos by gigazaga, both new this week and specific to T5, plus a list of T5 additions via TSC, and 18 videos from Streamworks Audior for T3/T4, as well as one about Melodyne Editor (soon to be relevant).

http://wiki.tracktion.com/index.php?tit ... on_English

Thanks, folks.

Thanks for the sticky too.
[W10-64, T5/6/7/W8/9/10/11/12/13, 32(to W8)&64 all, Spike],[W7-32, T5/6/7/W8, Gina16] everything underused.

I've found a glaring omission in need of urgent addressing...
:D
ABLETON LIVE 12 & PUSH2
Soundcloud: Nation of Korea vs Shitty Dog

As an experiment, I tried to add a page to the Wiki but I don't seem to have enough rights to add pages.

First, apologies for the lack of progress on Wikifying the T4 manual on the Tracktion Wiki site.

Second, it has been decided not to do that. The PDF of the T4 manual is available on the Tracktion site and that is sufficient.

The idea behind putting it onto the Wiki site was the hope that it could be gradually tweaked into a T5 online manual. But that's no longer the aim. I'm going to try to make the T4 PDF manual into the T5 PDF manual and make it available on the Tracktion site. I hope there will be new versions every few weeks as progress is made. It won't all happen at once.

Over the next few weeks, I will be posting threads for discussion of each chapter in the manual. The T4 manual initially showed everything - all the options available for all buttons on all screens, and more. Ultimately that's how the T5 manual should look, but that kind of depth is one long extended testing scenario, so it's going to happen sooner rather than later.

Extra chapters might be required, but for now I'm working on the assumption that all the new features belong in existing chapters. Melodyne ARA might be an exception.

I will be asking you to read through each chapter and tell me what has changed and what should be added.

I'm considering locating a series of "How To..." articles somewhere - possibly in the T5 manual, but more likely on the Wiki. These will need input and testing from you.

Hi there.
It appears to me that the T4 manual is actually the comprehensive T2 version with some label changes; very helpful but imperfect now that there have been GUI changes (e-to-e etc).

Stitching together 150 pages in Word/Acrobat is a year's job in itself, which Mackie probably funded originally. The Final Mix manual was also very comprehensive and equally useful.

I applaud the creation of a wiki and I propose that the wiki be the first point of information and tips&tricks gathering into so-called stickies. Then as an appendix, with links back to the T2/T4 pdf, the collected wiki stickies could be fashioned into a new pdf, to complement any updated T5/T6 Quick Start pdf.

Why a pdf? Because people still find paper useful and personally, I keep pdf manuals on my iPh for use in the field.

We all have our own areas of expertise and wikis are the most direct method of posting and to some extent, obtaining peer review & useful critiques. Moderators will call for volunteers to beta-proof each emerging chapter.

There ought to be a section on how to prepare a computer to be a DAW. I noticed a newbie request for midi help which showed a screen shot with half a dozen open apps on the ribbon.

I use Samplitude, Sony Vegas pro and PT when I have to but I'm never as comfortable as when I'm working a mix in Tracktion.
rgds,
WT

Life has been getting in the way of my progress, I regret to say. I did decide that the Wiki version was probably not the way to go. It is going to be a long job. I may have some time in October to get stuck in, but I may need to aim it for T6. That, of course, will mean finding out what surprises T6 is going to have. I shall retain whatever I can from the T3/4 manual, but I reckon all the pictures will need updating. It will be in Word initially (I have a copy of the T4 one in Word), so it can easily be converted to PDF.

Just out of curiosity, is there a manual anywhere?

There's a couple of T4 manuals in the Tracktion 4 part of the downloads section of the Tracktion site. Click on Tracktion 4 and there's a Manuals tab. There's a Quick Start manual and a more detailed one.

Return to “Tracktion”