Tracktion 1/2/3 Dilemma - Who is in charge? Try harder!

Discussion about: tracktion.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Crackers guide for Tracktion3 not for Tracktion2? Wt*? I do not ask who is responsible.
Better: Who is actually capable of solving the problem?

My understanding:
1. Julian Storer/Raw Material Software gave birth to Tracktion
2. Mackie took over and Julian Storer left the project Mackie (Team Development) failed?
3. Julian Storer/Tracktion Software Corporation (TSC) took it back and abandoned T1/2/3

The customer/licence-code data lives on. When I log in to my.mackie.com I see my Tracktion licence. I can even use the my.mackie.com login-data to access Tracktion.com/account and I see my Tracktion licence, though I never registered there. So there is a deliberate transition of customer data. As a T1/2/3 customer I could upgrade to T4/5 for a retail price. Very good I love Tracktion and will ugrade as soon as possible. But in the meantime?

Is the T1/2/3 source-code lost? hardly probable! Is the source-code blocked by Mackie? Tell us!

When T1/2/3 are abandoned anyway, why not give it a little more freedom? T1 was given away for free, when T2 arrived. T2 was given away for free in some musicians magazines when T3 arrived.
So please, somebody hire a programmer for 1/2 day for this . Just fix the source-code and (e.g.) delete the routine which ties activation to the computers machine number/tracktion.key .) and allow activation by the licence-number solely for T2/3. Or any fix you can think of. Allow download via personal Tracktion.com/account. Do this for T3 and T2 also. Done.

Personally, I want to run Tracktion2 on my beloved Apple PPC Powerbook as long as it lives as a backup and a keeper.
I will happily purchase the latest Tracktion when I get a new Computer in the near future. Please, someone encourage me.

I doubt very much this will happen.

Jules and TSC didn't abandon T1,2 & 3 when they got it back from Mackie - they had to refactor the codebase, so the latest version (T3) is the one they used. IIRC, there were problems with some of the data they got back from Mackie.

T3 is old now, T2 even more. T4 was the result of making the T3 codebase contemporary - what use is there in releasing a seven year old DAW with a number of bugs just to satisfy a few people who want to run legacy software on older machines? I'm sure it's not a trivial task to amend the activation routines anyway, but even if it was, there's little demand for it.

The world has moved on, and luckily Tracktion is now moving along with it.
ABLETON LIVE 12 & PUSH2
Soundcloud: Nation of Korea vs Shitty Dog

Hello Vel

I got T2 with Mackie products and I bought T3 as soon as it was released. I had to special order it from my local music store for list price because nobody in the DC area stocked it. I couldn't believe all of the extra stuff that came with it even though I didn't use most of it. Then T just withered on the vine as Mackie focused on other divisions of their primary business.

McNelson is right to say it is time to move on. I bought T4 as soon as it came up for sale then enjoyed all of the upgrades to T5 and present and I use it to edit all of the stuff I made with T3 and T2.

To answer your question "Who is in charge" Mackie owns T2 and T3. I would not even bother complaining to Mackie because they dropped out years ago. No one to date has gotten a satisfactory answer from them.

In what I consider to be a really unusual BUSINESS DEAL that benefits musicians (who ever heard of that before?) Jules and TSC have the right to make backward-compatible software using the same Tracktion name and it runs well on current computer hardware. That enables me to edit my T2 and T3 stuff seamlessly in a familiar environment.

I don't know how they managed to work that out but I believe everybody benefitted including musicians, Mackie, and TSC. When Raw Materials sold T to Mackie, T became a Mackie product, then it died.

Then when TSC (different company, even though Jules is a principal) acquired the right to use the Tracktion name from Mackie and build on the GUI using new code and a new audio engine it didn't get back the whole package.You can still find your old accounts etc. on the Mackie website. Mackie still owns 2 and 3 but they stopped developing it years ago and it would have become a total orphan if TSC had not resuscitated it. If you are working on an older computer you can still upgrade to T4 or 5 while it is still really inexpensive and use the 32 bit software. Then when you get your new computer you can use the 32 OR 64 bit version and keep on rolling.

One last item I should mention. Be aware that T5 does not come with all of the extra plugins and libraries that came with T3 and if you need that stuff and you can't get it from Mackie it won't work. The only one I missed using was the Final Mix plugin but I have found other things that work as well as I moved on and there's a lot of free stuff available. Just ask on this forum and I'm sure someone can help you with that.

Regards,

theoldguy
It is time to come together in the middle of the road.

Hello @mcnelson @theoldguy!
Thank you for your opinion on this topic.

I totally agree with you.
The effort Julian Storer and TSC made to get T back on track is stunning.
Dare to do the deal. Hire & pay staff. Revive and mature T with its matchless user interface, new engine, backward-compatible with old projects, supporting Windo*, OSX and even Linux, extensive use of up-to-date hardware. Very much appreciated. Good news for musicians who prefer to work with T.

Referring to Mackie, this seems to be a bad case of after sale communication.
As you pointed out - thank you for the insight - Macki* is still the owner of T V2 and V3. And they maybe lost some of the source-code (wt*?).
So, they are in charge regarding T2/3.
Apple runs *Logig, *Yamaha runs *Cubase, etc. . No blame on *Mackie, trying to rival that. They made a good choice with T and helped a lot to make it prominent - very good. But it did not work out. To give it back to its original creator was a good move, after all.
There is a good route to upgrade T, when you dig new hardware - which you can not avoid on the long run, anyway. Nuff said.

But there is still no reason why customers who paid for T1/T2/T3, own a licence and stick to old hardware are being robbed and refused to use what they already own.
Some people can not afford new hardware, or refuse to throw away a working piece of equipment and prefer to keep it as a backup. What a pain if you have to do a fresh install and you can not, because you are stuck to the machine-ID.
E.g., I have my spare laptop here with T1.5. and make good use of it for harddisk recording and a little editing. Carrying those T1 projects over to a modern computer running T5 without a hassle is a perfect match. Hence my Laptop "features" the obsolete PowerPC-Chip my upgrade route is limited. T3/4/5 is not possible. I own a registration for T2.2 and would like to benfit from that. But I never installed it on this specific machine, so I do not have a T.key with the machine-ID nor the installer for PPC-platform. What to do now?

The conclusion may be to ask *Macki* to fire up their T 1/2/3 licence- and download servers again. No hack/crack needed. Just good customer service. I would even agree on a service fee. How many people have this problem?

Vel

Edit: trying to pass spam-filter

>--- bump ----<

A Tracktion 2 MacOSX-PPC installer anyone? A "demo" V2-Tracktion.Key is also welcome.

Here's what went down regarding the legacy unlockers...

The guys at Mackie were very helpful and did everything they could to try and export the legacy unlocker - the problem was down to the fact that contractors had been used over the years to create the system and had subsequently left - so there was nobody with any knowledge of that code available. The system is embedded in a deep/old server tech and it became apparent that the amount of work required to figure it out was not feasible

When we created the new unlocking system, it was designed with modern technology to be MUCH more secure - the old system had been hacked regularly. For this system to work with the legacy versions, it would mean creating new builds of the legacy versions that would be compatible - again, this was not feasible

So we made the decision to keep the upgrade pricing super low - for ALL previous users. You will note we did not raise the price for different generations of user which is pretty standard policy in software upgrades - we chase one low price for all
Tracktion Software Corporation

Thank you @TSC for giving insight in that matter.
That sound way more positive.
Thanks again for Tracktion
Vel

Return to “Tracktion”